Author Topic: Upcomming Space Sims  (Read 11602 times)

Offline Shade

Perhaps. But that doesn't mean I don't want it anyway :D
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

According to Akella's site Tarr has a 4Q release (at least in East Europe).

Tarr E3 Trailer - Direct Link

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
LOL Well, I see it only as a matter of time before RTS-Type AI starts to be applied to RPG games, so when two factions are at War, rather than this having little unscripted effect on gameplay, the two sides will actively try to build fleets/armies whatever and invade and capture territory etc. That 'may' end up in a situation where one power dominates all the others, though it's highly unlikely, usually 2 AI's are very hard pressed to achieve anything other than a draw. It could be interesting however if the player were invited along with fleets etc for missions that were in-game generated and could actually effect the outcome of the game.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
[Total Conversion & Mods]

Battlestar Galactica - Beyond The Red Line FS2
Game Warden

Add any that I've missed.      :)

Wing Commander Saga: Prologue. Release Q4
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Barbarossa?Redbeard?

No upcoming Colony Wars 4. :(
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Freespace Freak

• Official forum permanewb
I e-mailed the devs for the Tarr chronicles and asked if they knew if it is planned on getting released in English in the US.  He said this: 

It depends on usa local publishers interest to potential game sales.
I hope it will :)

I hope so, too. :\

Offline neoterran

Yes, it looks like the best successor to freespace yet.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
That Tarr Chronicles looks to be really good, does anyone here speaks russian? Just so we can know what is it about.

Take a look at these screens:

http://quazar-studio.com/tarr/shot15.htm

http://quazar-studio.com/tarr/shot23.htm
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 12:41:32 pm by Sarafan »

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Check the financial state of Interplay...

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1057232/000117091806000770/iec06-005.txt

Any hopes of another FS release or rerelease (or re-re-release since 20th aniversary edition) will lay in Interplay making money and :v: being willing...

Still, good job :v:!
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

Any hopes of another FS release or rerelease (or re-re-release since 20th aniversary edition) will lay in Interplay making money and :v: being willing...

Uhhh, when was this brought up?

Which of these games are being developed by :v:?  I don't see any.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I'm just saying, with this rebirth of the space sim, freespace might be considered once more... not only did FS2 fail because of lack of advertising, but it also lost out because the industry was slowing down. Just now, alot of good sims are comming out, and that is likely a boost of a possible official sequel...

Everyone wants a sequel to FS2 that is made by :v:... we don't give a sh*t about other companies' possible sequel...

Remember :v: is very much alive, but it's interplay, a company that did the game with :v:, that is deep in debt. I personally liked the old games from Interplay...
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Well Bob-san, we apreciate your enthusiasm but as you can see, the FS license is in a limbo and most important of all...

Volition will never, EVER as long as they are owned by THQ, make another game with such a niche target such as a space sim... EVER!

:nervous:
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Freespace Freak

• Official forum permanewb
Well Bob-san, we apreciate your enthusiasm but as you can see, the FS license is in a limbo and most important of all...

Volition will never, EVER as long as they are owned by THQ, make another game with such a niche target such as a space sim... EVER!

:nervous:

Yes, it was a sad day in the world when :V: was bought by THQ.  It might be that never again will we see another British or American space sim of the Freespace/Wing Commander genre.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
If :v: hadn't been bought by THQ, would it even exist anymore?

Take a look at these screens:

http://quazar-studio.com/tarr/shot15.htm

http://quazar-studio.com/tarr/shot23.htm

The HUD gives a huge nod to FS   :D

Hmmm, I like this, we dont need mods TC's listed though surely :confused:

I've cross posted this widely :)

Wing Commander Saga: Prologue. Release Q4

Done :)

I e-mailed the devs for the Tarr chronicles and asked if they knew if it is planned on getting released in English in the US.

Thanks, not the best news but hopefully Akella will make an effort.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 10:58:36 pm by IncendiaryLemon »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I'm just saying, with this rebirth of the space sim, freespace might be considered once more... not only did FS2 fail because of lack of advertising, but it also lost out because the industry was slowing down. Just now, alot of good sims are comming out, and that is likely a boost of a possible official sequel...

Everyone wants a sequel to FS2 that is made by :v:... we don't give a sh*t about other companies' possible sequel...

Remember :v: is very much alive, but it's interplay, a company that did the game with :v:, that is deep in debt. I personally liked the old games from Interplay...

Oh quit it. It is best for all if :v: won't make a sequel even if it gets the chance.

1. Much has changed since :v: made FS1 and FS2, people have come and left.
2. If FS3 would be announced, either by :v: or another company. Do you seriously think it would live up to its expectations?
3. And there is always the possibility that FS3 would genuinely suck as a game.
4. The community has made and is still making unofficial sequels and other mods to FS2 and there is the SCP. Announcement and eventual release of FS3 more than likely would deal a serious blow to the community mod and SCP development.
5. FS2_Open and FRED2_Open is FS3 and much more than that. Because it is open-source, only the skills, time and imagination of the community developers is the limit.

If :v: does have an official continuation to the story, they don't need to develop a new game to tell the story.

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.

Current debt .................................................   $   1,617,000
*shakes her head*

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
On the topic of space sims itself, the main things I didn't like about X2:TT and X3:TR were the sounds, the combat, the lack of afterburners, the demanding requirements, the so-so graphics (especially the cutscenes in X2), and IMO, the difficulty in modding it. Especially X2, that thing has some funny limitation in that one can't have more than six guns up front if the fighter has a back turret... :wtf:

Oops. I think I stated too many. My bad, my bad.  :sigh: :( :blah:

But I'm in with the background story... :nod: ...along with a manual like what you'd find in the games of old... :lol: ...but the X2 and X3 manuals are just inconsistent at times...  :nervous:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage

DAMN THAT'S SEXY!
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline starfox

You said it....  :eek:
That red "spire" in front of the player reminds me of some Shivan structure...with all those eerie and sharp, biomechanical properties....

Looks pretty cool, what is the game, btw ?
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP