Author Topic: Duke Nukem Never....  (Read 9743 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Duke Nukem Never....
From the article Flipside linked to:
Take-Two made a last-minute proposal to acquire the Duke Nukem franchise and the 3DR development team. Take-Two's proposal was unacceptable to 3DR for many reasons, including [...] no guarantee to complete the DNF game.
:lol:

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
well, IGN didn't write that.  :lol:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Judging from what I read the whole thing goes like this

1) Take Two give 3DR $12m to make Duke Nukem.
2) 3DR piss it up the wall.
3) 3DR say they're going bankrupt and won't deliver Duke Nukem.
4) Take Two say they'll sue 3DR for not delivering the game.
5) 3DR say they aren't bankrupt after all.

:lol:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I wonder how stupid that Take2 boss was to sign a contract like this.
12M for the publishing rights for Duke, no time limit, no safeties, just a when it's done (ever, maybe).
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Saw that yesterday.  I am now sad I can't play a game that integrates shooting terrorists and Cooking Mama seamlessly.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Saw that yesterday.  I am now sad I can't play a game that integrates shooting terrorists and Cooking Mama seamlessly.
i think its the best one he's done sinc SSBB

It's not dead yet.

3D Realms says that it requested $6 million to "cover the costs to complete both the Xbox 360 and PC versions" of the notoriously long-in-development title, with Take-Two supposedly agreeing to this amount. However, Take-Two lowered the amount of $5 million, and, "at the last minute (on April 22 [2009])" further lowered it to $2.5 million.

This coincides with 3D Realms' previous statement that Take-Two "materially changed the parameters of the proposed funding agreement" into something 3D Realms could not "financially afford," with 3D Realms then rejecting an "unacceptable" proposal Take-Two made for the franchise and development team.

3D Realms adds that Take-Two couldn't have been "unsure of the development progress" for the game, as Take-Two claimed in its filing, because Take-Two "stated it was impressed with the gameplay and pleased with the development progress on the game" when 3D Realms visited the company in April 2009.

The negotiations ceased on May 1, 2009, according to 3D Realms, with the company laying off "most of the DNF game development team" a few days later on May 6. 3D Realms claims that "Take-Two was fully aware this was going to happen weeks before this date is a funding agreement was not reached."

Surprisingly, 3D Realms explicitly notes that it continues to work on "the development of" Duke Nukem Forever, though "it released the majority of its employees working on the development" because of a "lack of funding to sustain the high level of development."

"[3D Realms/Apogee Ltd.] admits that it has continually worked on the development of the DNF for many years, and continues to do so," reads the specific clause.

3d Realms is also countersueing Take-Two for halting the development of "Duke Begins"

The new effort, titled "Duke Begins," was part of the October 2007 Agreement that saw Take-Two provide 3D Realms with $2.5 million. That sum was paid July 2008 in order to "help fund the development of the DNF game," with 3D Realms having previously said the money was "in connection with another agreement for an unannounced game."

The Take-Two-published Duke Begins was slated for release by mid-2010, with development set to begin within 2 months of the October 2007 agreement and 3D Realms stating that it needed to approve "any changes to that [development] schedule."

"All development work by the third-party game developer" on Duke Begins was halted in April 2009, 3D Realms claims "upon information and belief." However, 3D Realms says that "Take-Two...simply denied [the stoppage]," with a later letter to Take-Two VP Dan Emereson regarding the game's status said to have been "ignored."

As 3DR believes that Duke Begins "has been delayed by 12 months or longer," the company says that the push has harmed both 3DR and the Duke franchise, and will "delay any royalty payments...from sales of the Duke Begins game and prevent Apogee from being able to repay the [$2.5 million] advance when it becomes due in 2012."

Furthermore, 3D Realms believes that Take-Two is "taking such actions with a goal of pressuring [3D Realms/Apogee Ltd.] to sell the Duke Nukem franchise rights to Take-Two for less than their true value."

Since 3DR was not consulted regarding its perceived delay of Duke Begins, the company accuses Take-Two of breaching the October 2007 contract, and is demanding a jury trial, with damages believed to "be far in excess of $75,000, excluding interest and costs, including lost royalties and damage to the Duke Nukem franchise rights."

Full article here. http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1154
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 08:46:28 pm by Triple Ace »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Heh.  I thought this might happen; it's like some sort of karmic inertia.  It's been in development so long, it can never die. :D

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Un Cancelled.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Heh.  I thought this might happen; it's like some sort of karmic inertia.  It's been in development so long, it can never die. :D

That would make the joke title "Duke Nukem Forever (in Development)" sound valid. :drevil:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
Its a shame though

I remember seeing that trailer in 2000, it looked deadly!!!!!!

Talk about trying to create perfection

They took it too far.

re-design, new design, re-design, new design, frakin hell!!!!

Looks like its now up to the modders on the web to create their own version of it!
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
And be sued by either Take-Two or 3D Realms? No way. Remember Descent 4?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
And be sued by either Take-Two or 3D Realms? No way. Remember Descent 4?

Ah, where there is a will, there is a way!

Dont call it Duke Nukem, but Nukem Duke or something   :drevil: Similiar voice and style, like the way your cheap Aldi store rips off Cadburys
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.