Author Topic: lightning.tbl Issues With New Builds  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
lightning.tbl Issues With New Builds
This is trivial, but new builds, particularly ones from late November (2022) or newer, give an error message about missing texture listing in the lightning.tbl file.  I did a quick check, and under the 'hyperspace' lightning entry, the texture files have been listed as "<NONE>".  Simply changing this to "NONE" without the <> symbols, seems to make the problem go away, though I haven't tested if hyerspace works with this change yet.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline wesp5

Re: lightning.tbl Issues With New Builds
I did a quick check, and under the 'hyperspace' lightning entry, the texture files have been listed as "<NONE>".  Simply changing this to "NONE" without the <> symbols, seems to make the problem go away, though I haven't tested if hyerspace works with this change yet.

What version of FSO do you use? With 22.2 which is selected in a fresh TBP install this error comes not up, at least in the missions I tested. But several weapon.cpp warnings do which I fixed, and I already noticed that the Vorlon lightning gun is broken, as well as the new wingman window! Also I found <none> in lightning.tbl, but I think it's not connected to hyperspace. I fixed it as you wrote, but I will need to quickstart at least all single missions to check for other new warnings.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 03:55:35 am by wesp5 »

Offline wesp5

P.S.: Checking out the single missions I get the following warning and I don't know anything about the model stuff. Can I just hex edit "capship dock" to something else?

Warning: Duplicate docking bay name 'capship dock' found on model 'NR_GQuan.pof'!

Also "The long twilight struggle" crashes in debug mode with the following error. Can anybody take a look at these issues? I don't know how many are in the campaigns.

Assert: "entry->handle == handle"
File: bmpman.cpp
Line: 856
Invalid bitmap handle 1676 passed to bm_get_info().
This might be due to an invalid animation somewhere else.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 05:58:52 am by wesp5 »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
When I say 'new builds', I'm referring to nightlies, and ones created in the last week or so.  Also, some months ago I went through my TBP install with a fine-toothed debug cone to fix anything that came up.  I even fixed bounding box issues with several models.  Once I'm ready to release ITB, (which I intend to do as a MOD of TBP, rather than modifying the TBP install itself) I plan to include these fixes, along with a few more updates & upgrades, at that point.

IIRC, the only debug error I couldn't fix is in regards to the Explorer model.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline wesp5

Once I'm ready to release ITB, (which I intend to do as a MOD of TBP, rather than modifying the TBP install itself) I plan to include these fixes, along with a few more updates & upgrades, at that point.

Great! I managed to fix some typos and the bad custom wingman low resolution font myself right now. I tried to attach the corrected tables to this post, but I got an error stating that the upload folder is full! Can we do something about this? Also if your fixes are global, they should be included into the core mod, so please upload them somewhere for us to check. And unless ITB isn't too big and you changed all of the menu graphics, I believe it should be a part of the core game...

Do you have an idea on how to improve the Vorlon fighter first person firing effect visible in the campaign "Guardian of Light"? The old one covered too much of the screen, but the new one is almost nonexistent which looks kind of weird as well.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 01:05:17 pm by wesp5 »

Offline wesp5

So as nothing happened here for a long time, I decided to upload the fixed tables by creating a new TBP version 3.7.9. The problem is I can't connect with Knossos to Nebula, the login always fails and Knossos also cannot connect when checking if the mod ID is unique! What should I do now? Is there a problem with Knossos right now?

P.S.: I have decided to move the fixes into the Unofficial Patch which is much easier to maintain, see the other thread.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 07:07:26 am by wesp5 »