Author Topic: Screencap Contest - December 2018  (Read 5762 times)

Re: Screencap Contest - December 2018
A Zod, watching NovaTV.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Darius

Combination of ReShade and ingame post-processing

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
^

Whatever it is, it's awesome.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
As much as I hate to say it I'm actually considering not preparing an entry at this point. I want to do something halfway decent but then I'm caught up getting Lost prepped (Millbear should have actual video footage for his VA demo reel) and preparing stuff for Scroll.

Funny/cool entries so far tho!  :nod:

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
No rules, you say?

time to bring this beauty back
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

we have our winner friends!  :lol:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Haha, nice. :D

Offline HLD_Prophecy

I need to prioritize, tbh

but still

I think something would be amiss if I didn't take a moment to wish everyone a very very

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam

Ha, get on my level!

(This was the result of me trying to dump all -wep.tbms into a weapons.tbl and not knowing how the bloody syntax works)
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Have you watched the JAD intro ( https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=92049.0 )? Has a couple thousand errors more.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
So, I'm attempting to redeem my long absence in this contest :P.

Exile. Syndicate heavy units attempt to rescue a pinned down fleet.

Mantle. An HoL destroyer attempts to destroy a Knossos portal before it gets overwhelmed by Shivan forces from beyond it.

Sol: a History. The Nemesis puts a swift end to a rebellion.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Gotta say I like the Nemesis one best but they're all RAD  :D

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Will be gone for a few days to get a Christmasy break from social media, but I'll get back in business in time to get the setup from Axem. Hope to have the first month's contest ready January 1, maybe 2 or so.

Merry Christmas and have a happynewyear everyone!  :D

Some early firework.

Offline Darius

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Looks Klingon.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

The GVD Meretsenger, the yellow lighting is a by-product of integrating Meson capacitators into its power systems.

The GTCv Noir and its attendant SOC Task Force arriving to engage a Shivan Demon-class destroyer.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 04:50:18 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Beams

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Come on you guys. It's the new year and not a single firework here?

Made some Swarm Missiles that shoot up to 1800 missiles (yes, no joke) per salvo.

Which have shockwaves. Every single one of them.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Axem

Alright, time to finish off the year!

I had planned to enter something, but I was working on WoD with Spoon to get it released just a few days ago (you should all play it, its great!), and I've been taking a break from FreeSpace stuff since then. But everyone here sure stepped up to the plate.

Time to personally judge each user on their best screenshot to their own merits! (Rating system stolen from weratedogs, the best twitter account in existence)

Thisisaverylongusername

I love it. Sadness just eeks out of the screenshot, and I can feel frustration and anger. 14/10, very tragic.

PIe

Bright and illuminating. Whatever that was, it is now one with the universe. 13/∞, brain-bustingly transcendent.

JSRNerdo

Here we see the FREDder in his native habitat. FRED open in one window, notepad in another, long with 5000 other windows open. 2real/4me, very majestic

TechnoD11

Classic shot of Her Finest Hour. Neptune low on the shot, just there to help reveal some other elements, and UEF strike forces blowing a giant hole in the Carthage's sensor deck. 13/10, would love to see Steele's face when he gets the news

Nightmare

Lives up to his name, a death black ship, accented with red. The uncertain silhouette allows us to fill in the blanks and imagine what twisted machinery is at our periphery. 12/10, not sleeping tonight.

Darius

Sorry Darius, we don't accept images obviously pre-rendered in some Pixar renderfarm. I'd have to be quite the fool to believe that could be FreeSpace. I'm only giving this 13/10 because I still think its cool.

Admiral Ralwood

Beautiful. 15/10, I can say no more.

HLD_Prophecy

Very timely, and motivational. We should not be afraid of the future, but embrace it and its many joys. 2019/2018, very uplifting.

Strygon

Despair, Despair! DESPAIR! Why must you and thisisaverylongusername seek to destroy my sanity like this. 13/NaN, brb phoning therapist again

MitoPL

A very nicely composed image. All eyes on the Typhon, who is soldiering forward to meet the guardians of the Knossos. For someone who hasn't played Mantle yet, it really makes me want to play it even more. 14/10, you can't buy advertising like that.

Darius

Darius, no. What did I tell you. This is obviously from some Call of Battlefield: Infinite Citizen game. That moody color and the glows are far too good. Still, 14/10, I like your attempt.

0rph3us

Ships exiting a blooming subspace portal, the shadows on the Demon, really nicely shows off the recent features of the engine. In a serious month, this would have easily made the shortlist. 13/10, wonderfully done.

Now I said there wouldn't be a real winner (because tomimaki has pretty much taken the year!). But we're not going to have fake winners either! Since this is my last month judging, my present to all of you who entered is being the joint winners of the month. This isn't because you just decided to show up and you're getting it as a participation trophy. I did really like all the images you all took the time to think about, make, and submit, and it made me think about all the wonderful stuff that we are all able to do with this 19 year old game (except you Darius, you obvious cheater).

(Just kidding Darius, you're the best!)

It's screenshots like these that pull people to play our own works of art and inspire to make new ones. And anyone who helps promote this game and this community like that is a winner!

So starting next month, HLD_Prophecy is going to be running the contest. The rules and way he runs it will be up to him, it's totally his show now. But I'll still be keeping a close eye on all of the great entries, and I urge you all to take the greatest shots to make choosing a winner as difficult and torturous as possible!

Good luck in the future everyone!

2018 Final Scoreboard:
CKid - 2
niffiwan - 1
Nightmare - 2
BTA - 2
tomimaki - 5
Thisisaverylongusername - 1
PIe - 1
JSRNerdo - 1
TechnoD11 - 1
Darius - 1