Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 270193 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So. Stalker. Triple Large Laser. Five SRM-6. Holy ****. People charge at you with all these visions of "he's got LRMs he's a stalker he'll overheat if we fight him close" and then suddenly they get hit by thirty SRMs and you can see them flinch. Literally, I mean it. Most people will immediately jerk their torsos when the missile rain comes down, then immediately throttle down and swerve to try and get out your line of fire.

It's glorious.

My experience is that quite a few Stalker jocks don't tend to lead their targets so as I run around their feet in a COM-2D they launch the giant SRM fusillade where I was.  Tends to get worse if I have another scout partner in crime.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
To be honest, I tried rolling all LL and discovered it's basically an excuse to blow yourself up.

I'm currently contemplating switching to medium pulse on the arm mounts, but the problem for a Stalker M is fighting your lack of slots after DHS so I'm not sure.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

To be honest, I tried rolling all LL and discovered it's basically an excuse to blow yourself up.

I'm currently contemplating switching to medium pulse on the arm mounts, but the problem for a Stalker M is fighting your lack of slots after DHS so I'm not sure.

I think an LL boat pretty much requires you to use SHS and maybe even leave off endosteel to have enough heat tolerance/dispersion to not be a two shot wonder.
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I feel like the Stalker is awfully squishy when caught alone. With barely over 400 armor points to work with, it's barely more durable than my catapults. That unfortunately makes them notoriously easy to neuter considering how big and slow they are.

On a different note, does anyone have a guess as to how much the Highlander is going to cost? I think it's about time I started my own Highlander fund :p

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
I feel like the Stalker is awfully squishy when caught alone. With barely over 400 armor points to work with, it's barely more durable than my catapults. That unfortunately makes them notoriously easy to neuter considering how big and slow they are.

On a different note, does anyone have a guess as to how much the Highlander is going to cost? I think it's about time I started my own Highlander fund :p

1. I crossed by an LRM-15 saturation Stalker (the rest it had were pitiful Small Lasers and a TAG) on its own. I ended up negating everything it fired on my buddies (I was the only ECM Raven on my side, unfortunately, yes, I sold my LB-10X Cat after unlocking the Master Tree for it).

2. Looking up on Sarna, you may want to keep a reserve of nine million C-Bills (8,936,080 for the HGN-732 to be exact).

I'm hoping to fly a Trebuchet soon. Or the Orion, whichever comes first (I really want a Marauder, but I don't want to get my hopes up on that). What I am concerned about is the epic cluster**** about balancing if the Clans come in (the in-game clock is 3050, which should be right up to the doors of the Clan Invasion)...
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Clan energy weapons put out a ton of heat, and chances are Clan DHS are only going to be 1.4 HS like IS ones.  Even with needing one fewer slot you're still going to need to mount a ton of them to get anywhere near heat neutral with a couple Clan ERLL.  Running an ERLL Timber Wolf will probably make you explode faster than a critted Gauss Rifle in lava, so chances are we'll mostly see ballistic and missile ClanTech since those have zero downsides and lots of upsides compared to IS versions.  I can already imagine the rage from Clan SSRM-6 spam and the inevitable Mad Gausscats.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Clan DHS take up two slots, not three, which means they get more of them too.

Nova Prime is gonna melt faces, including its own.

A Feddie Story

I did mention that actually, but Double Heat Sinks are only 1.4 heat sinks in MWO, so any Clan laserboat design is going to be simply unable to maintain any sort of sustained fire.  The stock Supernova Prime will probably only get a single volley off before going into automatic shut down, so all those lovely ER lasers and ER PPC's are going to get neglected in favor of Ultra Autocannons and Streak SRM spam.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I did mention that actually, but Double Heat Sinks are only 1.4 heat sinks in MWO,

That's true for ours, but with Clans not having options but to go pulse or ER, I suspect they might have a heatsink buff to make their laseryguns competitive.

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
That's true for ours, but with Clans not having options but to go pulse or ER, I suspect they might have a heatsink buff to make their laseryguns competitive.

Clans... might have a heatsink buff to make their laseryguns competitive.

Clans... buff... competetive

Excuse me while I laugh my ass off.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

Hey. You're working off tabletop. We ain't there no more.

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Hey. You're working off tabletop. We ain't there no more.

Meanwhile, you're working off IS.  Clans most certainly ain't there no more. :P

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

The meta for MWO simply doesn't support a whole lineup based on missiles and projectiles. The most powerful build since pretty much the start of the game has been a laser Hunchback, and most of the builds not based around a Gauss pair are built around a solid core of basic medium or large lasers. The Clans don't have choices in that area which keep the heat down; they need the extra heat dissipation.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

The meta for MWO simply doesn't support a whole lineup based on missiles and projectiles. The most powerful build since pretty much the start of the game has been a laser Hunchback, and most of the builds not based around a Gauss pair are built around a solid core of basic medium or large lasers.

This sounds a lot like tabletop :colbert:

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

Not particularly. A lot of tabletop is built around LRMs or ER weaponry for damage output, but neither of those is a very good choice in MWO.

Hell, the only remotely SRM-madness build to be found in tabletop is the Arctic Wolf, maybe the Mad Cat D if you squint and forget two of the launchers are facing the wrong way. Streak Madness/SRM Madness is a legit design goal in MWO.

EDIT: I mean, hell. PPCs. Tell me the last time you saw somebody running with PPCs in MWO. It just isn't done. That's such a reversal from the tabletop it's hard to believe.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:26:13 am by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Not particularly. A lot of tabletop is built around LRMs or ER weaponry for damage output, but neither of those is a very good choice in MWO.

No, the IS Level 1 metagame in tabletop is all about (standard, obv) medium lasers. And you can fix the Mad Cat D because I'm pretty those SSRMs are omni pods right? Just flip them around.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Halfway correct and correct, respectively.

Medium lasers are the most "efficient" weapons in the game on a heat:damage:ton:crit combination of ratios.  However, they lack severely in the range department (which only gets worse as the timeline progresses), and are terrible at grouping damage.  A fast medium laser boat with the sinks to fire them is absolutely going to beat the **** out of the same chassis mounting anything else, but anything faster can effectively outrange it, and anything slower can potentially outdamage it even without the standard medium lasers.  The Intro-tech meta is significantly more flexible than "Medium lasers win"

The Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) is indeed an omni.  It takes less than half a day of work to move the rear mounted launchers forward, though technically it's not a D config at that point.  I'd call it a D+, since it's better in every way.

And honestly speaking, the reason SRM boats don't fly in the tabletop game for the Clans is because of their comparatively terrible range.  They exist, though not in huge numbers, but they just can't compete with the longer range energy.  In MWO, this is obviously not the case, but I don't think that automatically means the Clans aren't going to be primarily ER and LRM.  If anything, the fact that the Clan equipment is so much better than equivalent IS gear means that it might make a comeback.  After all, the Clan ER Large reaches out to an excellent 25 hexes on the tabletop, and the IS ER Large doesn't even reach 80% of that.  I imagine that Clan LRMs would be significantly less affected by ECM, or something like that.

Now, granted, I don't have the full picture of MWO, since my computer can't handle it.  I could very easily be talking out my ass on this.  On the other hand, the entire idea of Clan gear is to be absolutely better in every way than IS gear, and I can see that kind of design goal leading to a viable ER/LRM option for Clan equipment.  When you can fit an entire Clan LRM-15 with Artemis in the same amount of tonnage as an IS SSRM-6, there's bound to be a little shakeup of the meta.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
No, the IS Level 1 metagame in tabletop is all about (standard, obv) medium lasers. And you can fix the Mad Cat D because I'm pretty those SSRMs are omni pods right? Just flip them around.

We're at Level 2 in theory, at the very least Level 1.7 in practice. :colbert:

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I'd say much closer to 1.5 than 1.7.  Not enough different kinds of PPCs.  Not enough plasma.  Never enough plasma.

I have the feeling that, if it's ever realized, plasma rifles are going to be the single most broken piece of equipment in the game.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I don't think plasma is level 2 tech until, like, Jihad era (also aren't plasma rifles pretty suboptimal)