Author Topic: RELEASE: Rogues! (8-mission minicampaign)  (Read 19206 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: RELEASE: Rogues! (8-mission minicampaign)
Exactly what Spoon said. It's not a bug, just a...not very finely nuanced feature.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Just finished it.
I like the way the story was told
The missions had zero difficulty in them

There was a bunch of things that didn't seem quite logical
Spoiler:
Where are these guys getting their ammo from?
For a bunch of people that kidnap girls for ransom they seemed to oddly care a lot about the morality of the war
The rhino station had to scramble volunteers to deal with a few wings of NTF fighters, you had to save their asses. Yet the next mission they somehow started believing in the lie that you were somehow involved with the NTF? They even send Zeus bombers after you.
It's not a bad campaign though.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

As with spoon, the oddity I spotted dealt with the first mission. it kinda felt a bit odd that the Hecate was completely unguarded and did not already have a few fighter wings sent out already to make sure the convict running rampant inside the destroyer didn't escape, much less no patrolling fighter wings were recalled. Sure a Leviathian comes in later, but it's useless when it arrives. Not trying to say that the mission was poorly done, but it just seems curious that a massive military group virtually allowed 3 freelancers, one which was in a crude transport to easily run into a hornet's nest, cause some damage, kidnap an officer, and escape with no hassalment.

Still was a good campaign, just the first mission kinda strikes me on the head a little bit.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Spoiler:
For a bunch of people that kidnap girls for ransom they seemed to oddly care a lot about the morality of the war.
That's a point for philosophy no?

Spoiler:
Yet the next mission they somehow started believing in the lie that you were somehow involved with the NTF? They even send Zeus bombers after you.

That's because it's the ONLY way to fly baby!  ;) How else do you think the military got rid of them once everyone realised they were crappy?

...Not trying to say that the mission was poorly done, but it just seems curious that a massive military group virtually allowed 3 freelancers, one which was in a crude transport to easily run into a hornet's nest, cause some damage, kidnap an officer, and escape with no hassalment.

Still was a good campaign, just the first mission kinda strikes me on the head a little bit.

Who do you send in when Alpha 1 is on break? They're just that good. Aharharhar!
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline swamper123

• Just call me Swamper
It wasn't easy for me , one of my ''wingmates'' keep dying and dying at almost every mission , I  putted the game it in very easy , but it was a good campaign though
Let's play Blue Planet

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
If you guys think this is way too easy, play it around in Insane... it gets more tricky :S
Those stupid wingmen keep dieing, and i've never been pwned this bad by 3 Hercules. The fighters you get to fly are pretty light stuff.
Blocked at M04, those idiots engage like hell and get completely owned... Guess with some will and time you can manage to keep em close, but i'm too lazy to try atm

About the campaign in a whole..... the way the story is told sure is original but... i personally find it weird.
Having the character actually retell the story during every command/mission briefing feels a bit strangy, i think a flashback story style would have been better.

Looking forward to finishing this thing :S

Oh, and cool intro btw!  :yes:

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I don't play on Insane, but I can assure you that I could beat the campaign on Hard without too many retries. Mission 4 is comparatively longer than the rest of the - combat - missions, so I recommend you lower the difficulty, then replay from the simulator on Insane if you feel like.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I'm so DLing this. I can't wait to play it. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Just started the first mission; no stars for some reason.

Edit: The stars are there; they reflect light when something explodes, and then disappear.

Double edit: Apart from that, I didn't run into any other snafus in the campaign.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:38:11 am by Nemesis6 »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Is the starfield like that in any other mod? Rogues! uses the MVP starfield and standard nebulae.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I actually got the same issue Nemesis did. It went away after the first mission, so I ignored it. Meh, didn't detract from anything.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
same here
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Confirmed. Somehow the No Lighting option became unchecked.

Offline Govenator

• You have been targeted for termination!
Finished this campaign a week ago. 

Pretty good!  Its short and it is weird how they consider the morality of the wars when they are kidnapping a girl, but looking past that it was fun!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I'm so DLing this. I can't wait to play it. :)

:bump:

So I played through this campaign again, and it felt like it was the first time ever due to the... ehm, time span between my playthroughs. I do wonder if Rogues! was meant to be the incipit to something else, especially considering the ending.

On a slightly unrelated note, the campaign would look great even by modern standards if only it switched to newer nebula skyboxes. Lightspeed's effects are definitely showing their age, unfortunately.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Rogues! doesn't connect to any campaigns. You can, however,

Spoiler:
theorize that Jack becomes Alpha 1 of the main campaign

if you want to, but since I'm not at all planning on a sequel, you can have whatever interpretation you wish.

And I won't retouch the campaign just for the nebula backgrounds. I could have done that with the rest of my older campaigns, but I just don't have the willpower to do that anymore. Not to mention it wouldn't be worth the effort, given no one even remembers my campaigns, so there's that.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the number of people still discovering and playing them.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I wholeheartedly agree with Battuta. A significant chunk of the community is on the "lurking" side of things and you can be 100% sure your campaigns are still played through by fans. In fact, I believe you should consider the possibility of upgrading their packages. :yes:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 01:09:39 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Could I see any tangible evidence of that? It's certainly not something I can see here on HLP, or Discord, or PMs. Into the Halls of Valhalla and Luyten Civil War are on Knossos kudos to Novachen, but I can't see any download/visitation statistics there (not that I tried to look very hard).

As I said, my FRED time is dedicated wholly to FotG, and unless you find and report to me game-breaking bugs, I don't see how that would change.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Rogues and Renegade Resurgence are on Knossos as well (and on FSOInstaller, not to forget). But i always made only bugfixes or replaced models with newer ones if available. But never messed up with the mission backgrounds, because other backgrounds can simple change the feeling of a mission completely :).

Unfortunately i can give you only my ModDB download statistics for the updated Rogues release... and that stands on 16 Downloads since 6th October 2018.
But ModDB is not very representative for FreeSpace  :doubt:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 11:57:15 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.