Author Topic: StarCraft 2: More info  (Read 19198 times)

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
StarCraft 2: More info
There seems to have been some updates in the StarCraft 2 website with the Zerg getting a trailer of their own (which I'm still trying to get no thanks to Blizzard's lack of linux love) and their section of the website being unlocked.

The screens I've been able to see regarding the zerg seem encouraging since they still resemble the zerg we all know and love. :) Especially compared to how much the other races have changed. Of course this is bound to change in a day or two when <unit number 37> appears.

Any comments?

P.S.
Just watched the new trailer and I have to say Blizzard still makes kickass movies.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 05:26:11 pm by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Re: StarCraft 2: More info
I don't see anything new...seen all of that stuff for weeks now :)

Zerg Reveal Trailer?  Definitely cool but not new :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Well, it was new to me since I hadn't seen it in months.  :nervous:

Still, I wonder what the ending monologue was refering to with the "(...) we are becoming much... much more."
It can't be the hybrid since Kerrigan doesn't know about Duran's secret agenda...
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Quote from: StarcraftManual
THE DETERMINANT

The Zerg left the lifeless, burning world of Zerus and laid waste to every planet they found along their path towards the Protoss Homeworld. As they progressed slowly through the trackless dark between the stars, the Zerg assimilated only the strongest of the races that they came across. The swarm continued to build steadily, ever-increasing in size and power. As they progressed, the Overmind sent out numerous deep-space probes that scouted ahead of the swarm, searching for new worlds to plunder.

Despite innumerable victories, the Overmind was greatly disturbed. The Overmind was aware that the Protoss had become a highly psionic race, able to bend and warp the very fabric of reality to their whims. It sought a way to counter the awesome might of the Protoss, but found no answers among the genetic strains it devoured.

On the verge of despair, the Overmind made an amazing discovery. One of its deep-space probes had relayed the location and vital statistics of a race that occupied a series of nondescript worlds right under the shadow of the Protoss.

The new race, called Humanity, was mere generations away from developing into a formidable psionic power. But the Overmind also knew that Humanity was still in its infant stages, hardly capable of defending itself against the ravenous Zerg. Although a short-lived and seemingly frail species, the Overmind knew that Humanity would be the final determinant in its victory over the Protoss. If it could assimilate the psionic potential of Humanity, the Overmind would have the ability to combat the Protoss on its own terms.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
How long's it take you to copy-type that??

Also i'm a mighty big kerrigan fan :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I was put off by the reveal trailer because the writing was terrible and the voice acting was hokey.

I still think that the the art style is dismal, and a betrayal of SC1, but I'll admit it probably looks better in action.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 10:38:13 am by General Battuta »

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I cheer for the Queen ***** of the Universe.

I wonder what new toys the zergs will get ?

The ... Hydralisks' famous spit sound is no more ... I weep ...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 10:41:37 pm by Stormkeeper »
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Yeah, and so is that visceral green spurt when they shoot their spikes. Truly, it's the end of an era.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Yeah, and so is that visceral green spurt when they shoot their spikes. Truly, it's the end of an era.

My last ray of hope is that is still in beta. Still time for the sound to come back in.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Looks like the same game, but with better graphics. Just like nearly every game on the market these days.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I'm just curious and eager to see the story develop as i play. Same is when i played brood war.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
     Looks like the same game, but with better graphics. Just like nearly every game on the market these days.

Pretty much literally too - they copied everything into 3D, right down to the explosions and the fires breaking out on structures when they're damaged. It's literally the exact same thing so far, and I'm sure it's going to get rave reviews :doubt:

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I just hope that this gets in there. :D http://www.starcraft2.com/features/terran/taurenmarine.xml
Oh wait, no that will pwn to easily. :shaking:
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Pretty much literally too - they copied everything into 3D, right down to the explosions and the fires breaking out on structures when they're damaged. It's literally the exact same thing so far, and I'm sure it's going to get rave reviews :doubt:

It's like . . . for a few years, my computer was very outdated. So I didn't play any modern games for quite a while. Then I moved, finally got a new computer, etcetera. My buddy shows me some of the latest games, Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2 and I'm like "isn't this the same game I played like 5 years ago, just with better graphics? I mean, Legolas is destroying a stone castle with a bow and arrow. Is it still just melee, ranged attacks and hitpoints?"

And yeah, a few games have some innovations . . . but they're all pretty minor from what I've seen. I've yet to play anything particularly ground breaking.

The thing that bugged the hell out of me with Starcraft (which I only played recently for the first time btw), is that . . .on the map, all the units are pretty much the same size. Roughly. And then they go to these cut scenes, and the Zerg aerial bombardment creatures are freaking huge . . . and they have these huge epic battle scenes with people dying and homeworlds being destroyed, and whatever . . and then I go back to the game, and I think "er, that doesn't look like what I'm playing." SC2 looks the same. And yeah, I understand abstraction . . . but in comparison:  Dawn of War at least, looks like it integrates some scale between the units, the dropships are the size of dropships, the Ork robots the size they should be, etcetera . . when I finally pick up a better graphics card I'll think I'll be impressed. Right now it's just sitting on my shelf collecting dust though.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I just hope that this gets in there. :D http://www.starcraft2.com/features/terran/taurenmarine.xml

Oh....Hell...........Is that serious??
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3

Oh....Hell...........Is that serious??
It was one of their April fools "announcements".  Its all tongue in cheek although its been confirmed that the Tauren Marine will be available in the mission builder for third party fun :)
- IceFire

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Wrong sir, wrong! They already HAD everything in 3d and made frames of it for the Original SC... :P

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny

Given how wildly popular the original was (and still is, especially in Asia), why would they make it something radically new? They did more than give the game a facelift, they also added new game mechanics and units that can take advantage of it. They also did more to differentiate the races and emphasize combined arms even more than the original.

If they changed it too much the Koreans would curse their name for all of eternity. :p
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The under the hood path-finding and maneuver AI don't look too shabby either....and that's something that you don't come across all to frequently.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3

Given how wildly popular the original was (and still is, especially in Asia), why would they make it something radically new? They did more than give the game a facelift, they also added new game mechanics and units that can take advantage of it. They also did more to differentiate the races and emphasize combined arms even more than the original.

If they changed it too much the Koreans would curse their name for all of eternity. :p
Unfortunately allot of people are ignoring all of that in favour of bashing the game for whatever reason.  I mean constructive criticism is one thing but there are at least three widespread movements on why StarCraft II sucks:

Group 1: The game is too much like WarCraft 3.  Nothing must be automated.  You must micro everything.

Group 2: The game is too much like StarCraft.  Make something new.

Group 3: The game is too different than StarCraft...make the same game.

WTF.
- IceFire