Poll

The TSJ Icanus, the Terran Superjuggernaut. Am I the only one who thinks that having the Earth Alliance build a ridiculously big superjuggernaut is unrealistic? What do you think?

The Icanus rocks, it shouldn't be touched at all.
9 (52.9%)
Keep it the same, but make the Punisher a bit weaker, so the Gigas has a chance of winning.
2 (11.8%)
Tone it down, make it a little smaller , give it a few less hitpoints and make the armament a little less powerful.
1 (5.9%)
Make the Punisher's damage a little less insane and make the Icanus smaller, less protected and armed.
1 (5.9%)
Get rid of it and make up a better way to kill the Gigas.
3 (17.6%)
Keep it the same, but make it only 50% operational by the time the Gigas arrives.
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: November 06, 2006, 12:14:09 pm

Author Topic: Icanus  (Read 49716 times)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
That Icanus is the current one, minus a few things. The total polycount with turrets is over 6k, but the hull is less than 1.5k.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hmmm.... go and bug MT people? To what purpose? They're making even less progress than the main Inferno mod (no offense, Woo)!

:nervous:

That Icanus is the current one, minus a few things. The total polycount with turrets is over 6k, but the hull is less than 1.5k.

How many poly is the Gigas? I read somewhere that it was 850 :wtf:

The problem with the Icanus is the USilv, IMO. What the hell? There's no chance the Gigas can win one on one, that's my real problem. What I think is that you should make it like the Colossus, just way cooler (yeah, I'm an Icanus fan in a way... WTF?). Have a mission where you first disarm (some of the weapons on) the Gigas (if you can't have you protecting a few Apothess firing at it), then have the Icanus warp in (to save FPS have the Apothess jump out and have them say 'we can do nothing more here), protect the Icanus from Shivan bombers attempting to disable the Punisher, then have somekind of 'damn our reactor just went' scenario, for the Shivvies to mount an attack, and then more 'Punishing' ;) (when this happens have the Shivans deploy more bombers and maybe some cruisers to attack the Icanus' main gun).

That would make for a very challenging mission (ala Nemesis) as well as a feasible one. :nod:

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
There you go I found these in another thread:

Gigas:
Hull Polycount: 1767
Lod0 Polycount: 6048
Length: 22021m
Turrets: 120

Icanus:
Hull Polycount: 1990
Lod0 Polycount: 5543
Length: 19567m
Turrets: 123

Offline Snail

• SC 5
'Current' Gigas or the special unknown special super special Gigas?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Our 'current' Gigas, which I guess is the unknown super special one to you :p

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Can't we just get a >little< screeny.... :sigh: :sigh:

Please?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Nope since I promised Sid I wouldn't show any pics of it.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You know, he's smart. ;)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Was a pity as well, I took tons of pics of it ready to show it off and didn't get to use them :D

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Speaking of showing stuff off....... ;7

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Maybe it's because of Tolkien,but I give so many importance on a warship's name. The Icanus should be the symbol of the Terran fleet in general,not only EA. Calling it with a nonsense name is unrealistic. we've called it Terra and we don't say that it's the best name possible,but it's a symbolic name. If the Terra goes down,the other Terra-the one you call Earth-is doomed. Incanus was one of the multiple names Gandalf had,but considering the other names I think you hardly know something about that.
Melian was more appropriate than Melia for the Sol Gate,for example.I would have called the Diablo Sauron,the Gigas Bauglir and the Gargant Morgoth,there are so many good names(TrashMan uses many of them like Ulmo,Nareos,Aeglos). Derelict is full of names token from HP lovecraft works(I find them ugly and stupid....mah...).

Making an SJ is impossible for a single system,expecially an isolated one. It's a storyline "bug". We think we'll change its birthplace for Steadfast,but there's not reason of thinking about it now becaus eit will appear in episode 4 or 5(uhm,around the 80th mission) and we are halfway with episode 2,so....

The Icanus' design is cool.Gigantic ships mustn't have regular designs. I would make its engines bigger,they seem too little.
<I want to see an Icanus with two Punishers>

If we know hot to upgrade EA textures by ourselves,we could have different reskins...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
... and a funny mustache between them under the main hull.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Actually for the Melia I wanted to call it the Gaia, as it's the way back to Earth, but Venom wouldn't let me as he had recently made the Gaia for OTT :p

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
:blah:

If I was a modder, I wouldn't really care for naming conventions in other mods... modmakers choose what names they want for the stuff IMO. After all, they're different mods with differing storylines, no? Of course the names should be civil and proper.

But if other modders found that insulting or offending or whatnot in any way (:confused::confused::confused:), then I'll just follow the guidelines and try and come up with a different name.

Just my thought on the issue if no one minds. :) Though depending on conditions, if I was caught in a situation like this, I could go either way... With input on the matter from other people of course...

Unless the naming problem is related to the FS2 Ship Registry Database... :confused:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
At the time I was totally reliant on Venom for getting ships mapped, and we were working closely with OTT. So it caused less fuss just to choose a different name.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Maybe it's because of Tolkien,but I give so many importance on a warship's name. The Icanus should be the symbol of the Terran fleet in general,not only EA. Calling it with a nonsense name is unrealistic. we've called it Terra and we don't say that it's the best name possible,but it's a symbolic name. If the Terra goes down,the other Terra-the one you call Earth-is doomed. Incanus was one of the multiple names Gandalf had,but considering the other names I think you hardly know something about that.
Melian was more appropriate than Melia for the Sol Gate,for example.I would have called the Diablo Sauron,the Gigas Bauglir and the Gargant Morgoth,there are so many good names(TrashMan uses many of them like Ulmo,Nareos,Aeglos). Derelict is full of names token from HP lovecraft works(I find them ugly and stupid....mah...).

Making an SJ is impossible for a single system,expecially an isolated one. It's a storyline "bug". We think we'll change its birthplace for Steadfast,but there's not reason of thinking about it now becaus eit will appear in episode 4 or 5(uhm,around the 80th mission) and we are halfway with episode 2,so....

The Icanus' design is cool.Gigantic ships mustn't have regular designs. I would make its engines bigger,they seem too little.

If we know hot to upgrade EA textures by ourselves,we could have different reskins...

Personally, I don't like naming ships after Lovecraft or Tolkien books. My naming system goes like this:

Terran - Greek/Roman Mythological Names (Neptune, Ouranos, Hephaestus)
Vasudan - Egyptian Mythological Names (Nefertem, Sopedu, Reshpeh)
Shivan - Biblical Angel/Demon Names (Naberius, Berith, Dantallion)

They sound cool and are easy to make up. They usually work for both ship classes and individual ship names. If I need to create names for a new faction, like the Neo-Terran Front, I might use Pagan names as they are also easy to attain.

The Icanus' design is undeniably pretty. It's beautiful. In almost every way I like it, but I hate it in the fact that the a few isolated Terrans were able to create a supership and the Vasudans and 'outside' Terrans were unable to.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
They weren't 'unable' to, they chose 'not' to.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Lessons learned from the Colly?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Another thing to remember about all this is that Sol wasn't as "isolated" and "helpless" as you might think.  Considering the obvious fact that humanity originated from Sol, at the time of the Lucifer's destruction, it certainly has to have a much, much higher human population than all of the GTVA's systems combined.  Remember, Capella was one of the largest human-inhabited systems, and that was only on the order of 250 million people; even today, Earth's population is many times that, and with the entire solar system colonized, it would only be that much more at the time of the FS series.  A much larger population equates to a much larger potential workforce, which means that projects like this would probably take less time to get accomplished.  We also know for a fact that Sol is the center of GTA manufacturing capabilities at the time of FS1; remember, the Avenger prototype was being delivered to Sol for mass production.  Again, this only makes sense considering the fact that we all started out in this system. :p Taking both of those points into account, plus the fact that our solar system is chock-full of raw materials, I don't see how it's a stretch to say that Sol wouldn't be better off than the GTVA in terms of large-scale building projects.  In fact, I think you're almost forced to assume that the opposite is true.

On a final note, regarding the Colossus comparison, also remember that the Colossus was a very secret project; while there were obviously some mucho funds directed at it, it's not something that one could throw a few hundred thousand steelworkers at without batting an eye.  Given the EA's sociopolitical situation, it would only make sense for them to throw massive resources and manpower at the project, meaning that it could be completed in proportionally much less time than the Colossus could.