Author Topic: Hi-poly Karnak  (Read 40762 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
OMG the hieroglyphics are fantastic! IMO the regular Vasudan version should use them as well...
I disagree. They look weird... I don't like how they look like someone painted them on with an airbrush. I don't like the yellow coloring too much either.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I do hope that an original version will be released with textures as they were originally intended.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Of course.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
*liking the yellow one*
The hieroglyphics is a interesting idea, but it looks a bit excessive because the writing goes on without any breaks.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Is that a bad thing? I wouldn't like nameplates...those hieroglyphics have a much different effect. :nod: :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It looks like a giant used an airbrush.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
THE MODEL IS OVER.

THE WAIT IS OVER.

Download spiffy improved Karnak now!

Package includes:
  • Improved Karnak model
  • Fog effects
  • Dynamic glowpoint activation
  • High-detail reactor
  • Hammer of Light reskin
  • Shine, glow, and normal maps
  • A full featured demo mission in the FS1 continuity!
Extra-special thanks and animated googly eyes to Vasudan Admiral, for all his help in POFing this out.

Please, fly and enjoy. :) Galemp, out.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Nice! ;7

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Pretty cool. :)

Offline Topgun

fog effects?

Offline blowfish

fog effects?

Play the demo mission.  Fly inside the reactor chamber.

Pretty cool. :)

Where's the enthusiasm?

Offline Solatar

I liked the EM effect in the demo mission, it was pretty cool. Also, the pipes and fog add a lot to the station. It seems more like you're flying into someplace you're not really supposed to be in.

Offline starlord

Galemp: why were you experiencing a slowdown when blasting the door?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I wasn't. But it was a driver issue with the one who was.

Offline KC

nice...  but what about the 4 other pylons? shouldn't they also have docking points?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
You speak BLASPHEMY!

BEGONE FROM HERE!! I BANISH THEE TO THE PIT FROM WHENCE YE CAME!!!

Offline blowfish

Seriously, Galemp!  Easy on the noob.  Anyway:

:welcomered:

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
You speak BLASPHEMY!

BEGONE FROM HERE!! I BANISH THEE TO THE PIT FROM WHENCE YE CAME!!!

Hahaha :lol:
What's up?

Freespace: Amit
Forums: GTSVA        
High Scores: Natroz

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
* Androgeos Exeunt looks at Goober's Cookie Monster avatar.

Uh, Goober, that logo is NOT a cookie... :wtf:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
THE MODEL IS OVER.

THE WAIT IS OVER.

Download spiffy improved Karnak now!

Package includes:
  • Improved Karnak model
  • Fog effects
  • Dynamic glowpoint activation
  • High-detail reactor
  • Hammer of Light reskin
  • Shine, glow, and normal maps
  • A full featured demo mission in the FS1 continuity!
Extra-special thanks and animated googly eyes to Vasudan Admiral, for all his help in POFing this out.

Please, fly and enjoy. :) Galemp, out.

Coolness.

Some things I want to point at - the shine maps still have 100% alpha, which makes the env mapping go ape defecation with them; I made alpha fixed versions of both standard and HOL version and reduced the specular intensity on the map slightly, and they can be downloaded here for comparision and use at your discretion.

Another thing - the height maps have way too much intensity differences and they cause all manner of problems in the rendering of other maps - like the glow maps overlapping the pipes for example. I reduced the contrast in the height maps by -110 units and kept the brightness constant, and though result was a lot less buggy-looking, there still are some flawed rendering, like in the reactor where the height map makes the halves around the middle seam look like they are on different elevation, so I would recommend simply not using the height maps with this model in the first place, the performance loss (and buggyness) simply seems to outweigh any visual improvement they might offer...

There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.