Author Topic: GTC Fenris in Minecraft  (Read 82812 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: GTC Fenris in Minecraft
I strongly urge you to reserve space for a bar.....
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...

Ten Forward style, perhaps?

If it were a larger, modern capital ship, I'd agree.  Since the Leviathan/Fenris was a small, old workhorse in FS1, and a back-line defender in FS2, I doubt it'd have very many luxuries to speak of.  Of course, we don't have a canon internal layout of the ship from which to work, but generally speaking, the smaller the ship and the closer to a permanent installation it's meant to operate, the less it has in the way of amenities.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

If it were a larger, modern capital ship, I'd agree.  Since the Leviathan/Fenris was a small, old workhorse in FS1, and a back-line defender in FS2, I doubt it'd have very many luxuries to speak of.  Of course, we don't have a canon internal layout of the ship from which to work, but generally speaking, the smaller the ship and the closer to a permanent installation it's meant to operate, the less it has in the way of amenities.
Remember, the Fenris is about the same size as a Aircraft Carrier, if not much larger in total space. Not to mention how boring doing a ton of sleeping quarters would be. I'm sure we'll find a place for a bar, got an image of a specific type in mind so we can have an example?
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Sorry for the double, but the engine shell is complete, time for turret placement.
Screenshots! now in .jpg format by popular demand!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Pics of bar will come in time. :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Pics of bar will come in time. :D

complete with clean and licensed gtva prostitutes i hope?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Meaning jack'o'lanterns on sticks probably...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
So I was thinking that the area beyond those sets of 3 parallel windows at the bottom of the engine section could be an arboretum / food garden type thing. Who likes making things pretty? Is it too sexist if I turn to you, Sara? :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
So I was thinking that the area beyond those sets of 3 parallel windows at the bottom of the engine section could be an arboretum / food garden type thing. Who likes making things pretty? Is it too sexist if I turn to you, Sara? :p
That close to the engine? Seems a bit unrealistic, honestly. I really doubt the Fenris would have such a thing anyway.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Haven't you seen the Simpsons? Everyone knows that radiation makes things grow better, and with addictive results!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I'm going to have to side with hades on this one, thats way too close to the engines, not to mention the cramped space. Besides, I would think the oxygen-making (important in space) room would be closer to the center where its protected then right next to the part most likely to explode.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
That close to the engine? Seems a bit unrealistic, honestly. I really doubt the Fenris would have such a thing anyway.
What do you propose then? Living quarters? :rolleyes:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Give me another logical use for having relatively enormous windows there then. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
What do you propose then? Living quarters? :rolleyes:
Nope. There's some sort of detail on the texture that implies escape pods, so those would take up some space. Some sort of mini living quarters including a cafeteria and stuff could be cool too, there's windows below the part I'm talking about.

Use your imagination ;)

As it is now though, the engine cores have TWO BLOCKS between spilling onto this garden place, so yeah. It's kinda dumb.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Hades: in fairness, each of those blocks are a meter thick.

Ya... Sandwich was apparently really set on the garden idea, and so:

And from there it became a memorial garden:

I'm sure we missed a lot, we'll add them as we think of them on the wall.

He also wasnt kidding about the back side of fenris being glass:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
"Realism" be damned, that looks great. :)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I Am Not A Kidder.

:nervous:

Kyad and Hades did a great job so far. Kyad helped with the garden, and Hades decorated and greebled the hull. They also both enjoyed playing with lava, and apparently had a blast removing and placing the same dozen blocks over and over again for nearly ten minutes. :p All's well that ends well, though, and the results speak for themselves! :D

He also wasnt kidding about the back side of fenris being glass:

That looks awesome - it's just the right feel I was hoping for - a peek into the innards. :D Do you think that when we have actual decks that end at that side of the hull, their edges should be stone? I think that would help to discern what you're looking at once we move on to the more densely populated decks.

Also, what about greebling? The work Hades did on the solid side is inset into the hull; we might be able to get away with replicating that on the open side as well, just with glass blocks.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 09:26:00 am by Sandwich »

Wish the glass texture was better though.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Wish the glass texture was better though.
A texture pack may be in order.