Author Topic: GTC Fenris in Minecraft  (Read 82489 times)

Too much work to be destroyed by a random fighter armed with Hornets :shaking:, better call it a Leviathan :P

We could do a side-project to build a couple of Nephilims on a bombing run, on the far side from the rail line, with the first volley of torpedos under way.  It'd be a pretty funny use of Minecraft's rendering distance, since you'd see the cruiser, go inside, and explore, completely unaware that your doom was approaching, until you take a look out of one of the starboard-side windows.

Unless, of course, the Fenriathan has a nice Aeolus cruiser built on that side wiping out all the incoming fighters... :p

It wouldn't be the FreeSpace community if the next enormous project wasn't being planned before the first could possibly be finished.  ;)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Continuing traditions is important.....  even on the internet.

Offline -Sara-

Re: GTC Fenris in Minecraft
I can now import FS2 models into MC. So for reference, Qaz asked to upload this to compare to how off the first Fenris was. It should end up roughly like this:

« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 12:04:59 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Now where's the fun in that? :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Dat tool.

I want it. NAU!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
You know what
I want that ability Sara. How does import?
"No"

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
* Aardwolf wants

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I'm sure Kyad will be posting some nice screenshots here soon... ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
You would be correct Sandwich, I even have a suprise at the bottom to go with it.

And then Hades did some detailing on the fin.

Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Awesome! Considering the missile turret is at the bottom of it, I always thought it was full of ammo or something, but the textures back those windows up. :D However....

Primary Fixed-location Facilities
...let's refrain from doing that to any other parts of the ship until we've got the functional elements that have to be situated in specific locations in place: Engine glow (I'd like to do this part as I have some special ideas for it) + engine room, docking ports (with functional piston doors! :D ), and turrets+internal turret mechanisms.

Deck Markers
Once those functional elements are in place, we should close up the hull (except for the starboard side), and place temporary markers for the decks (not complete decks, just indicators!) along the inside of the hull. Remember that the ventral & dorsal (top & bottom) hulls should be 2 full blocks thick, so take that into consideration. Here's how I'd suggest doing things (scroll the code box):

Code: [Select]
=============== - Top Hull
=============== - Top Hull
[             ] - Crawlspace for circuitry
[             ] - (2 block height)
=============== - Deck ceiling
[             ] - Deck
[             ] - Deck
[             ] - Deck
=============== - Deck floor
[             ] - Deck
[             ] - Deck
[             ] - Deck
[             ] - Deck
[             ] - Deck
[             ] - Deck
=============== - Bottom Hull
=============== - Bottom Hull

Primary Corridors
With those markers in place, we can place some large primary fore-aft corridors. Perhaps 2 on each deck that has primary corridors*, and 7 blocks wide. At a later stage, they could have the primary facilities placed between them (CnC, infirmary, mess halls, etc.) and secondary rooms on the hull-wards sides, so we'll place the corridors at around 1/3 and 2/3 of the ship's width.

* What do you all think about these primary corridors? Should there be a pair of them on every single deck that runs the full length of the ship, or should there merely be 2 or 3 of the full-length decks that have primary corridors?

Other Primary Facilities
With the corridors in place, we can move on to the other primary facilities that don't need to be in any specific location... CnC, the infirmary, mess hall, arboretum, recreational center + swimming pool, etc. Each of these should have one wall (or perhaps a section of the ceiling) empty, for the placement of the...

Tour Rail
The tour rail whould be isolated via a glass tube from the rest of the ship; walking tours will be available elsewhere, not by getting off the tour rail in the middle.

Filler
At this point, the remaining space can be filled in with decks, smaller corridors, and rooms.

Offline -Sara-

Looks great.  :yes:

@the people asking what program I used: just google for 3d model to minecraft. Basically you turn 3d models into voxels, then import those. Binvox or such can change blender .wrl models into .schematic with a console line of -t schematic. PM me if you want more info to not clog the thread about it.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
I love how the entire of fenris has been remade other than my station >_>
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Well ya, what were we gunna do, kill it and tell you later?

Screenshot time!

Anyway, waiting on Sandwich for plans for the next step.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
That engine glow is winning. :yes:

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken