Author Topic: RELEASE: The Antagonist  (Read 60514 times)

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Re: RELEASE: The Antagonist
So I completed it now. It was a marvelous mod that I sincerely enjoyed. I had to lower the difficulty from Normal to Easy to M5 though cause I couldn't get past 2/3 the way before dying.

Spoiler:
In the end I chose to defy Edward. Nothing is worth killing billions if not trillions of people. Though I have no idea what kind of past that Edward had to make him so incredibly self aware and willing to play with the player's mind.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yes, Edward.

Now that was a really fun ride!
Let's get all the negative things out of the way first: The X86 has a terrible looking texture, the loading bar is kinda ugly and sound of the APE weapon is kinda dumb.
I experienced 3 game crashes in total (one right when I was jumping out at the end of a battle) without any warnings. I very much doubt that's anything I can blame you for though, just making a note of it here.
There.

Now on to all the fun things.
Spoiler:
Didn't expected the voice acting, while not class A+ stellar acting, it did add a nice touch to the whole campaign overal. I liked it  :yes:
The weapons are all fun to play with and they all have their use. I constantly found myself switching between secondaries for different situations. I approve of this. Though I did find that most enemies became easy prey once you activated glide and just sprayed missiles at your slow pursuers.
There was a lot of variation between the missions and this mod really started to shine its brightest from the first capitalship boss (with the reactor in front), I accidently found myself enjoying the jumping in and out of subspace a lot too. (I'll get you for this eventually bigchunk! Stop making me enjoy things!)
There was just a whole lot of cleverness involved with the subspace jumping. This has got to be the only mod so far that has a battle in which 2 fighters try to get each other with subspace missiles while one is in subspace itself.
In the end I pulled the trigger and made the shivans green with envy (at least now they match their .ani's!). Take that 'great destroyers', it only takes one fighter to do what you guys do with 80 jugs!

All in all an excellent mod, Good job. I award you my Top award: Ace.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Impressive.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I lent a bit of voice stuff to this, so I have no excuse for not playing it right away. :D

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
The campaign is so damn cool. But, I've got several crash randomly. For example, in the mission where you have to track down a cruiser between space and subspace, when I destroyed it, the game just crash. :(

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
A review... nice. Thanks Spoon, it's nice to see things like this.
The X86 has a terrible looking texture

I imagined someone would say this, in fact I was waiting for it. Almost to the point where I was going to give kudos to the first person with the level of frankness to mention it. I agree, it looks like a pre-schooler took a crayon to it, but I am very proud of this terrible looking texture. This is the first texture I have ever done. I opened paint.net, put on some music from the band tool and started making patterns... for hours. I considered using all the colors people don't use on ships simply because they are seldom used; yellow was one of them. I began drawing strange patterns on the wings which ended looking like the ship was overgrown with the vines of corruption, and then I thought what might happen if the whole thing looked like a star with 'sunspots' all over it. It was a very organic creative process. When I looked at the final iterations of the product I thought to myself, "someone is certainly going to say something about how outlandishly bad this looks" but there is another name for outlandishly bad... I like to call it 'unique'. I also like the idea of a player flying a bad art show into a somewhat surreal campaign.
So in short, yes it's bad... but I like it.

Whether or not to do voice acting was an easy decision. It's fun to do, at least for me, but I understand why many campaigns opt out of it because it is a time consuming process. This campaign was also much easier to voice act than most because there were no briefings or debriefings.

Glad you enjoyed yourself playing a game lol.

The campaign is so damn cool. But, I've got several crash randomly. For example, in the mission where you have to track down a cruiser between space and subspace, when I destroyed it, the game just crash. :(

Noo!
I wish the campaign was not that evil to pull you out of a mission right after you beat a boss. A sick part of me thinks that's kind of funny but that's actually very cruel. I have played this mod quite a few times and this used to happen to me a lot. I started removing excess particle effects, cut down on unit count and stripped the sexps for efficiency and that seemed to cause the problem to go away (but I guess It didn't). No matter what it is, just know that persistence will get you through. If you beat it on insane and the game kicks you at the end... take your revenge and go very easy.... just for that level no one will know.

Please don't take this as a big 'don't play the campaign cause it's broken' flag. It's not an error debug seems to catch and more often than not the mission will not crash on you. Besides you want to play more than once anyways right?!  :rolleyes:

@Mongoose, you're going to find your role pretty quickly good doctor.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
There is something that should be noted about Into the Mist,
Spoiler:
During some parts of that fight, the shield generator's integrity does not drop when being fired at, usually I catch this behavior when dropping it from 50% to 25% in normal space, it remains at 50% until both of us have jumped into Subspace.
I've also had it crash twice in a row during my second playthrough, though the third time running in Debug I finished it.

Offline swamper123

• Just call me Swamper
I had be lucky, didn't crash once, I already completed, is awesome, liked the different game play
Let's play Blue Planet

Not a bad campaign. Definitely a new take on Freespace combat. I especially loved jumping in and out of subspace at will.

I will agree that the APE weapon's noise sounds silly, though. Did someone just go "Dih!" into a microphone to make that, or something?

Okay, people: who wins, X-86 Starcracker vs the Prometheus Frame from Wings of Dawn? I call a superfighter battle!
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Okay, people: who wins, X-86 Starcracker vs the Prometheus Frame from Wings of Dawn? I call a superfighter battle!

The Prometheus Frame would simply be a large bullseye for something like the Starcracker, waiting to be blown up.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:28:53 pm by AndrewofDoom »
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Thanx,, downloading right now,, sounds like a lot of fun ,,I'm verrry excited  :D :D

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Looks nice.  :)

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Just beat it. That was ...something else. Fun, wild, hectic- all good words to describe the campaign at large.

Specifics:
Spoiler:
*I went for the supernova ending, pretty sure that's "evil" quite pure.
*The mission (don't know any mission names, sorry) where you fight the Arbalest for the first time was crazy. Quite possibly the most creative use of in-mission subspace I've yet seen. Sure this is your first campaign?  :p
*The Vicia (spelling?) is quite possibly the nastiest weapon in the campaign. I managed to beat the Inhibitor mission at 1% integrity by kiting the reinforcement wings and spamming Vicias. Silly.
*While we're on weapons, I didn't care much for the Grenade Cannon. It's helpful early on, but when attempting to pair it with the Anti-Capital torp is a bad idea. Friggn' auto-detonate. The APE was my bread-and-butter, persistence with it will easily drag down anything. The X-Ray was fun, but I preferred to dump any excess gun energy into my shields. I only ever used the Ion against the Oligarchy Commodore.
*There were a couple of times (particularly during long missions, or boss fights) where the music cut out. I'mma guess that you used Play-Sound-From-File; check to make sure they all loop.
*Voice acting was a nice touch, even if it does mostly come from unremarkable characters who die within a maximum of 5-ish minutes after saying their lines. I interrupted my own character before he could finish his taunt!  :lol:
*Yeah, to jump on the bandwagon, both Starcrackers look ...let's just say awkward and out-of-place with the texture job they have. Though I really can't complain too hard, since I know you did the tex yourself, and I'll assume the model as well.

Overall, lots of fun, and a refreshing, unique project to take advantage of FSO. Excellent work for pretty much anybody, for a first-time FREDder... I'm simply not sure I believe you.

* IronBeer rates this campaign... EXCELLENT
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Alright.

When you give to the player a ship that can glide, TELL HIM. I had to read through Spoon's spoiler (so, AFTER having finished the campaign) to realize it. It was exactly the same issue for the Cyrvan fighter in WoD (smoopid Spoon, lrn2inform your players).
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Glide? Hmm. Well I don't use Glide anyway so I probably wouldn't have missed it.

What I came on here to say- besides "W0000000000000T my ships got used in a campaign :D"- was that I'm getting a crash almost invariably while fighting the Oligarch in mission 2. LOG. Naturally, when I ran the mission in debug mode, it worked fine, but maybe this log has something useful in it. I played through it and only quit on loading the next mission when FS barfed up a cutscene-related error.

Going to play mission 3 now, hopefully no more crashes! Seems excellent so far, btw!

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
... I'm getting a crash almost invariably while fighting the Oligarch in mission 2. LOG. Naturally, when I ran the mission in debug mode, it worked fine, but maybe this log has something useful in it. I played through it and only quit on loading the next mission when FS barfed up a cutscene-related error.

Be careful when using the word invariably; it is a very scary word when talking about crashes. I never got a crash in mission 2... Perhaps you have a <gunship>.pof file laying around somewhere?

I believe the warning about the 'camera trying to point to self' is of little consequence. Thanks for going bughunting though.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
no stray pof files anywhere.

by "invariably" I mean 4 out of 4 times, and once in the next mission. I'm just about sure it happens whenever I'm damaged (however slightly) by an explosion from my own Grenade. It never happens in debug mode, so I've been playing the campaign through on debug mode since mission 2.
[EDIT] now that I think about it, it's probably not your fault at all. I remember getting this same bug a while ago. I forget the exact conditions I used to replicate it, but it definitely happened whenever I took damage from my own missiles' explosions (or, I think, a ship explosion, but I'm not certain)/

Also, a question:

Spoiler:
How do you defeat the other Starcracker in mission 7b? I got it down to 13% by using the Ion, but then it went into subspace- and of course, I can't go into subspace because of the inhibitor (I tried). I hammered at it for several minutes while it constantly warped away from me like an Enderman on cocaine, but fighters in subspace are unkillable.

[EDIT2] Wait, I just figured it out. I'm a noob. Derp

Some commentary, since it seems I've played most of the campaign itself: By the time I went through the first intrasystem gate, I thought this was shaping up to be another "kill-everything" campaign with gameplay on the level of Transcend. Fortunayely, the next few missions proved me very wrong; it's still a dogfightfest, but the weapons and tactics you come up with (especially involving subspace) make for some extremely original gameplay. I'm impressed, and I imagine other campaigns might end up borrowing a few ideas :P
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 02:23:24 am by Shivan Hunter »

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
Urgh e_e
Pretty challenging campaign
been trying to run 2nd mission on insane, and i keep dying on 3rd wave or 50% boss hp atm
tactical/range play makes it very easy if you fly clean and stay aware of your surroundings, but any mistake can make everything go fubar.
i find it kind of sad that the afterburner has a that low accel... while it makes perfect sense for cruise/range control and long range combat, it's just a pain for missile evasion - especially since the speed of long ranged missiles makes you hear the incoming sound about a second before they hit. also on insane with pretty low ab recharge, and you're getting in a missile swarm, you rapidly end up dead - since if you dont evade you die, but on the other hand if you stay on defensive you lose your speed and missile defense. or probably i need more practise :p...

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Urgh e_e
Pretty challenging campaign
been trying to run 2nd mission on insane, and i keep dying on 3rd wave or 50% boss hp atm
tactical/range play makes it very easy if you fly clean and stay aware of your surroundings, but any mistake can make everything go fubar.
i find it kind of sad that the afterburner has a that low accel... while it makes perfect sense for cruise/range control and long range combat, it's just a pain for missile evasion - especially since the speed of long ranged missiles makes you hear the incoming sound about a second before they hit. also on insane with pretty low ab recharge, and you're getting in a missile swarm, you rapidly end up dead - since if you dont evade you die, but on the other hand if you stay on defensive you lose your speed and missile defense. or probably i need more practise :p...

Or probably, you shouldn't play this campaign on insane because it is, literally insane. :p

Why do everyone encounters crashs? I play the campaign with Antipodes 8 r7538 and it runs fine.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
@Firartix
Props for attempting on insane. It is difficult, but very possible to beat. Hopefully things will get easier for you as you get more familiar with the gameplay style.

You have the right idea about afterburners. Tap bursting isn't as effective as in freespace2. Your afterburner is an effective getaway tool as well as for closing distances fast, but you need to conserve your AB reserves to be able to charge up long boost durations. This is especially true for insane as you have such a low recharge rate. See if you can't find ways to save your energy by using your afterburner only when you absolutely need to.
BP Multi
The Antagonist