Author Topic: [Cross-platform] FS2 GOG/Mod installer  (Read 72024 times)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: [Cross-platform] FS2 GOG/Mod installer
Uh, that was my fault. I accidentally added a bug to the converter when I implemented the web frontend. It's fixed now.

I've added a bunch of new checks to the converter (which should find most errors now) and simplified the output. The online converter now tells you if the conversion was a success ("Done!" message and a green "Continue" button) or a failure ("Failed!" and a red "Continue" button).

The online converter works like this:
  • The nebula sends a POST request to http://s1.nebula.tproxy.de/api/converter/request with the following fields: passwd set to the API key and data containing the repo JSON.
    The response is a JSON object with the following fields: ticket and token
  • The browser connects a WebSocket to http://s1.nebula.tproxy.de/ws/converter and sends the ticket. The status updates are then transmitted through the WebSocket in real-time. Once the converter is finished, it sends a "done" message containing the result (did it fail?).
  • The nebula sends a second POST request to http://s1.nebula.tproxy.de/api/converter/retrieve with the following fields: ticket and token, both fields containing the values returned by the first request.
    The response is the generated JSON. You don't have to worry about capturing it.  :D

If you look at the source code of the online converter, you'll see that the JavaScript is doing exactly that. However, the two POST request are supposed to be handled by the server to make sure the API key is kept secret and because the JSON response has to be stored on the server anyway.

The source code is on GitHub. It's written in Python because it's easier to integrate the converter and handle WebSockets that way.
To setup the server, you'll have to run the following commands (assuming you have python3 and virtualenv installed):
Code: [Select]
git clone -b develop https://github.com/ngld/knossos-server
cd knossos-server
git submodule update --init
python3 /usr/bin/virtualenv py-env
source py-env/bin/activate
pip install -r requirements.txt
python setup_db.py

To run the server, you should run:
source py-env/bin/activate
uwsgi --master -p 4 --http localhost:8080 --http-websockets --wsgi server:app --enable-threads

I'll think about a way to solve the mods issue but I don't understand why you don't want to just change the JSON in PHP.

Offline Hellzed

Ok, I'll change the JSON in the PHP script ! No need to change anything on your side.
(to me it's only a matter of removing the "mods" container, concatenating the right builds of mods, and adding a new "mods" container. I only wanted to know if things could be made one step simpler on both our sides, but that's really a tiny detail.)

I'll start writing the new build validation page in Nebula tomorrow. Thanks to your work on Knossos-server, it should go pretty fast.

Have you tried running Nebula ?

EDIT :
I'm still pretty new to all these things ^^
I never needed before to send a request to an external web service from php. I've read i'll need to use cURL.

From the 3 steps you described, I get the impression that someone has to try and access the "build in progress" page in Nebula so that the second POST request is sent, and the generated data registered in the database.
What happens if the modder who started the validation process quits the page and doesn't come back ?
I can circumvent this issue in Nebula by accessing http://s1.nebula.tproxy.de/api/converter/retrieve whenever a mod known to be configured is requested but has no cached final JSON. (to do this, I only need to save tickets and tokens in the database and use them when needed, right ? I mean Knossos server doesn't loose track of mods if there's more than one at the same time ?)

I'm thinking of another solution : maybe Knossos server could call the right URL in Nebula once it's done, to trigger the database registration ?
To avoid the security risk of getting an arbitrary JSON entry in the database, we could either :
- use a simple public/private key mechanism.
- only accept requests coming from Knossos-server's domain.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 05:11:37 pm by Hellzed »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Sorry, I didn't get to test the Nebula but I'll probably have time tomorrow.

I've already thought of that problem but I didn't get to implement a solution (yet). My idea is that I'll add an optional field to the /api/converter/request endpoint called webhook. The Nebula server fills a URL in this field and once the conversion is finished, the Knossos Server will send a POST request to that URL containing the ticket ID. The Nebula can then access the retrieve endpoint to get the actual JSON. Since the JSON will be fetched from the Knossos Server, no one can insert malicious JSON. What do you think?
The Knossos server forgets a mod once the generated JSON is retrieved to avoid wasting space. I haven't found a better solution. There's also a problem with the mod logos: I haven't figured out a good way to include them in the result so I simply embedded them using data: URLs but there's something wrong with the base64 encoding which breaks the images...

Have you had a look at Guzzle? It should make accessing the API much easier.

Offline Hellzed

Guzzle looks nice but i'll probably won't need it. I already have all the JSON and incoming request classes I need in Symfony.
Sending the requests is actually only a few lines of php with cURL, and looks like this (I've just tried it for the first request, it works) :
<?php
$url 
'http://s1.nebula.tproxy.de/api/converter/request';
$fields = array(
'passwd' => urlencode($passwd),  //$passwd is the API key
'data' => urlencode($data), //$data is the original JSON
);

//url-ify the data for the POST
foreach($fields as $key=>$value)
{

$fields_string .= $key.'='.$value.'&';
}
rtrim($fields_string'&');

//open Knossos-server connection
$ksconn curl_init();

//set the url, number of POST vars, POST data
curl_setopt($ksconn,CURLOPT_URL$url);
curl_setopt($ksconn,CURLOPT_POSTcount($fields));
curl_setopt($ksconn,CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS$fields_string);

//execute post
$result curl_exec($ksconn);

//close connection
curl_close($ksconn);

//show the raw JSON token+ticket response
echo $result;

?>

As it will happen only twice each time a mod is validated, I'll put that code in a Symfony "service" that can be called from anywhere in the controllers, and the urls settings in a Symfony YML config file...
I already did that with the custom JSONBuilder.

Webhook sounds good to me.

Mod logos will be handled by Nebula, probably as a special item in the mod image gallery (3 optional special images : the logo, the large background image for the mod page, the "collapsed" background image for Knossos mods list ; and of course the screenshots).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:56:25 pm by Hellzed »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I'd move the urlencode() call in the foreach loop. You can use parse_str() to parse the response into an array.
I've installed the Nebula on the server. You can reach it at http://nebula.tproxy.de/nebula and register at http://nebula.tproxy.de/nebula/register .

I installed it with Composer which was nice because the install script already created the app/config/parameters.yml for me. Everything else worked without problems.
I've found a small bug: The "Modders & Teams" tab (/nebula/owners) doesn't work because Symfony tries to call BaseController::ownersAction which doesn't exist. I guess the OwnerController's index method should be called instead?
I've got a couple of suggestions:
  • Could you add a validation email to the registration process to make sure everyone registers with a real email address?
  • Could you create a default branch whenever a modder creates a new mod and redirect to the "New build" page to make the process of adding a new mod easier and faster?
  • The post-install actions are meant to give the package creator more control over where the extracted files are put.
    This is necessary for some mods where the archive contains a folder (i.e. MediaVPs). The actions are a great way to change the file structure without having to change any of the archives.
  • Why is the unique branch URL empty?

To make the integration of the online converter easier for you I'm writing a simple client. To display the progress page you could do something like this:
<div id="progress-container"></div>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://s1.nebula.tproxy.de/static/converter.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
var cv = new Converter('http://s1.nebula.tproxy.de/ws/converter', <?php echo json_encode($ticket); ?>);
cv.bootstrap_ui($('#progress-container'));
cv.on('done', function (success) {
  // Do something to tell the user that the conversion is finished.
});
cv.connect();
</script>

The JS client isn't finished, yet. I'll release it together with the new webhook feature once I'm done.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't know Hard-Light had syntax highlighting. That PHP code is reaaally legible.  :lol:

Offline Hellzed

Nice job with the js client ! I was reaching the point where I would have needed to implement this !

Could you render the widget  (content of #progress-container) as :
      <h4><span class="glyphicon glyphicon-cog"></span> Progress</h4>
      <hr/>
      <div class="progress">
          <div id="master-pg" class="progress-bar progress-bar-success" style="width: 0%;"></div>
      </div>
      <pre id="pg-well"></pre>
      <br/>
      <h4><span class="glyphicon glyphicon-list"></span> Log</h4>
      <hr/>
      <pre id="logging"></pre>

I already have the template for this page, and with this it will blend perfectly with the theme.

Could you add a validation email to the registration process to make sure everyone registers with a real email address?
FoSUB has a simple switch to activate this, IIRC. But at least for the early tests, I'll make the registration "invite only" (and maybe keep it this way since FS2 modders are only a small number.). I have to copy a few templates from FoSUB wiki to do this, because this feature is not included in their code base.

Could you create a default branch whenever a modder creates a new mod and redirect to the "New build" page to make the process of adding a new mod easier and faster?
That's smart. I'll add this too, at the same time as the "default branch" logic.

The post-install actions are meant to give the package creator more control over where the extracted files are put.
This is necessary for some mods where the archive contains a folder (i.e. MediaVPs). The actions are a great way to change the file structure without having to change any of the archives.
Oh, ok ! I didn't knew that (I thought Knossos tried to guess the actual archive root, like my old sh script did, and this was only intended for post-install/update cleaning. I'll change the form help-text ).

Why is the unique branch URL empty?
As "default branch" and "default build" logics are not in yet, I can only generate URLs for a single build at a time.

I'll add a temporary fix for the owners list error. (the definitive fix will come when I'll finish implementing modders teams, the objects are in but there's no control panel yet).

I've also figured I'd have to refactor the count logic to make it a bit more efficient. According to Symfony and Doctrine devs, SQL COUNT()  should be avoided, and instead, a count field should be created in the parent object and updated whenever a sub-object is created or deleted.

EDIT : I thought about the player UI. I originally planned to do a dynamic "tags" system like the new Steam tags. Freespace has a lot of mods, but that's still a few dozens, not thousands like Steam games. The risk is a catalogue "fragmentation", where mods end up being alone in their too specific categories, making navigation harder and wasting UI space.
Instead, I'll do 2 completely separate things : a static list of categories (think netflix-like), and a list of custom search keywords for each mod. A mod could be a part of multiple categories (some of these will be taken from this page http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Campaign_List, but I'll add a few others, a single dynamic "New !" category and a "virtual" category "Related mods", depending on the mod you are viewing).
Keywords will be used by the search engine to bring better results, and not directly shown to the end user.

@ngld : I noticed your test server is offline. did something wrong happen (critical bug, security issue, spam bot) ? I only gave the link to MjnMixael and Axem so they could see the forms and comment on the usability.
(I'll read how to fine tune Symfony to switch it to production mode)

EDIT 2 : I noticed you've made changes to the api, can I start sending requests ?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 04:06:41 pm by Hellzed »

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken