Author Topic: DirectX 10????  (Read 4036 times)

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
Ok so now there have come out several new games that support DX10 (Bioshock, Company of Heroes  and soon World in Conflict) but my question is:

Can you download DX10 anywhere I searched for it abit but couldnt seems to find it so either I am worse at finding things then Bush is at finding weapons of mass destruction or it hasent been released yet, sooooo anybody wich it is

/Dice

EDIT: Maybe this should be in General discussion if so could someone plz move it
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
I think DX10 somes with windows vista
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
Yea you can only get DX10 if you have vista.   Us lesser users are out of the loop.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
DX10 is not available for XP.  If you want to play those games and don't have Vista, you'll need the check out the Alky Project.  They are rewriting a set of libraries that will allow DX10 games to run under DX9, which makes the games accessible to people who have XP and don't want to use Vista.  Like me.  http://www.fallingleafsystems.com/
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Some games may also have a specific hak that allows it to run in XP.

But if I'm not terribly mistaken, Halo 2 is the only game so far, that required DX10 (until someone fixed that flaw). Or at least, the only noteworthy...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Actually, Halo 2 doesn't require directX 10. Halo 2 runs on directX 9, it only requires vista. If it ran on directX 10, you'd need a DX10 graphics card to run it.

I have Vista, and i can't use DX10. Why? Because i have a DX9 graphics card. Unless you have either Nvidia's or ATI's fancy new graphics cards, your outta luck.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Yes you're right. I got them mixed up in me head...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Halo2 doesn't require DX10, but it requires Vista? Why is that?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Cause MS in their infinite wisdom thought that a 3 year old XBox port was their best available flagship game for Vista.

Kinda ****ed them over when people figured out how to get it to run on XP then. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Ah, so its just MS that requires it to run on Vista, not the game itself. Should have guessed..

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
None of the games mentioned here have any serious image quality improvements on DX10 anyway. You have to compare screenshots very carefully to see any difference at all. I think Call of Juarez is the only game with (relatively) significant differences, but it's unplayable on just about any current hardware in DX10.

It will be quite some time before we see games that are designed on DX10 from the ground up and make full use of its features.

Offline DiabloRojo

• Como los chupacabras para desayuno.
    • Dienet - The Place You Go to Die (back after 5 years, baby!)
HardOCP did a nice job of reviewing the differences between DX9 and DX10 for Call of Juarez and BioShock.

There are a few significant differences, but nothing earth-shattering.  In a few cases, things that CAN be done in DX9 weren't done for the games.  Conspiracy theorists will tell you that the companies were paid to make the DX9 visuals worse than they could have been.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Bioshock is actually better overall in DX9 since you can use AA. It doesn't work in the DX10 mode apparently.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Halo2 doesn't require DX10, but it requires Vista? Why is that?

Because they want to implement the Live Anywhere on their game. And well, this Live Anywhere exists only on Vista and the X360 until MS make Live Anywhere operational for Win XP. However, I don't know how to say, the only purpose of Dx 10 isn't not to display more eyecandy stuff but it's more about the hardware I/O between CPU/GPU and System Memory. Instead 3D instruction came directly to the CPU then to the GPU, the new architecture of Vista and somehow Dx 10 allow to transit all instructions to the GPU. So, the CPU will be less busy and can do other stuff than graphics calculation.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Shader model 4.0

Offline diceman111

Actually, Halo 2 doesn't require directX 10. Halo 2 runs on directX 9, it only requires vista. If it ran on directX 10, you'd need a DX10 graphics card to run it.

I have Vista, and i can't use DX10. Why? Because i have a DX9 graphics card. Unless you have either Nvidia's or ATI's fancy new graphics cards, your outta luck.

Actually I think you are wrong there a DX9 card can still run and use DX10 same as a DX8 card can run DX9 just not as good as a newer card, if not i will have to replace my 7950GX2 in a while and I really dont want to do that

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Watch OGL come back into the mainstream since it'll be able to use DX10 features on WinXP.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

Actually I think you are wrong there a DX9 card can still run and use DX10 same as a DX8 card can run DX9 just not as good as a newer card, if not i will have to replace my 7950GX2 in a while and I really dont want to do that
Err no, not quite.  Your confusing DirectX as the abstraction layer that it is versus your hardware support.  Lots of people still have GeForce 4200 TI's laying around that are quite usable and have been workhorses of the GeForce lineup.  Those card were DX8 compliant hardware.  DirectX works in general so that everything works backwards from the latest version   So your GeForce 7950GX2 is a Direct 9.0c compliant part with support for Shader Model 3.0.  It would work perfectly fine under Windows Vista DirectX 10/9L but your card does not support DirectX 10 features.

Now they are talking about DirectX 10.1 which might figure into Windows Vista Service Pack 1.  No hardware is currently supporting that level although everyone could/will get SP1 when it comes out.  Rumors abound that revisions to the various ATI/AMD and nVidia cards will support 10.1 but who knows.  In all honesty it'll be probably two years before mainstream gaming is affected by this stuff.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline diceman111

*sigh* oh well I guess i will have to change graphics card before I change computer anyway but aslong as I can run all the new game with higest detals at 1280x1024 I think I will have to wait.

/Dice

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
The key issue you have to keep in mind is not about having the latest and greatest but having the hardware that plays the games you want to play.  Until recently I had a GeForce 6600GT which was a perfectly capable of running every game I threw at it and the system in was in had been going strong for well over four years till a power supply ruined it.

Given that a new batch of cards are out this fall and early next year which will likely support DX10.1 its worth waiting to see what cards are played by both companies and see what the deals are.  The other thing is that pretty much all but a couple of the current DX10 offerings are truly capable cards in terms of offering a DX10 experience that is graphics lag free.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."