Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed  (Read 10211 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
If his Force-sensivity is not mentioned in any canonical source - or defied in a source that is higher in SW canon hierarchy - then he is not Force-sensitive. If he were SUPPOSED to be Force-sensitive, it would have been revealed already.

Why do you insist so much on Solo being Force-sensitive? That you're lucky and have good instincts does not mean a thing. There are many characters with exceptional skills and talents who were not Force-sensitive.

By the way, you are right about most creatures being connected to the Force, but being connected (surrounded) by the Force does not mean you can sense it. It is like listening to a radio from 100 meters, volume level normal. Your ears may not be good enough to actually hear anything, but most animals, whose ears are more sophisticated than those of a human are able to hear what the radio is saying.

All humans in SW are canonically Force-sensitive, IIRC.  Just most don't have enough midi-chlorians to do squat about it... so, someone with enough midi-chlorians could become a Jedi.  Someone with above average midi-chlorians would be able to do impressive things, if he was tuned in enough (had enough control over it).  However, if my friend was correct, Solo was powerful enough to become a Jedi.  (I wish I still had a way to contact my friend, it's been 9 or so years since I've talked to him! :( )   Ofc, I have no clue if any of this is canon or not, because I can't ask my friend for his source.

EDIT:  If one was going to hunt someone they used to be in contact with down, what resource would one use?  ;7  His family was in the military (Air Force); they used to live in South Korea, and I lost track of them shortly afterwards... I'll have to go digging in my old stuff and see if I can retrieve his parent's e-mail addy.  (He didn't have one at the time.)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
...Guide his hand to get a pot shot at a moving tentacle monster past his friend held by said tentacles, half-blind (I mean, is this normal for anyone?)....

It's a movie, where heroes do do exceptional things. And don't forget that Lando guided him. Without Lando's guidance, Solo would have hit Lando instead of the sarlacc.  The Jedi younglings of Bear Clan in Episode II could deflect blaster bolts with their lightsabers even if they were "blind" because of the helmet they wore. Any average Jedi youngling could do that. Where is Solo's deed compared to this? Even if Luke had 100 years to training Solo in the Jedi way, it would not have had any result. He  was not Force-sensitive. He was living in the Force, like any entity in the Star Wars galaxy, but he could not touch it. Simply being lucky or very good at something does not mean Force-sensivity. It could be a sign, yes, but nothing more.

All humans in SW are canonically Force-sensitive, IIRC.  Just most don't have enough midi-chlorians to do squat about it...

No, no, no! If you are Force-sensitive, you can become a Jedi. Only a very-very minor part of the galaxy's population was Force-sensitive. The rest wasn't.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 08:41:31 am by TopAce »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I beg to differ. The Jedi were but the cream of the crop in my opinion... In the Old Republic Jedi Order, there were a lot of younglings trained in the Jedi Temple who never were selected for Padawan training; they were not taken as padawans because of multitude of reasons but mostly I bet it was because while they were force-sensitive, there were people better suited to being Jedi Knights, so they were sent to menial task forces to do whatever, from agriculture to some security forces I would think.

Like with any other skill or attribute, force-sensitivity is obviously not an on/off feature. After some point, the being becomes aware of the force, and I concur to the point that Han Solo hardly exceeded this limit, especially without training and meditation. He might have become aware of the force, to some extent, with training from young age... his sensitivity might or might not have been enough to become a Jedi, we don't know.

So, it's a question of definitions - if you want to define "force-sensitivity" as an ability to be aware of the force, then so be it. My definition to force-sensitivity is a bit more loose - to me it just a position somewhere on the line between a shrimp and Anakin/Luke Skywalker. Granted, there might have been Jedi Shrimps, but I find it a little far-fetched, even despite Yoda's continuous bitter talk about size being unimportant.

Obviously personality also affects how much of the force potential the person is able to use - ability to concentrate and dedicate themselves to training, and so forth. If one believed the Force to be hokey-pokey religion, they would hardly try to use it consciously. Unconscious guidance from the Force is another thing. And I find it plausible to think that Han Solo might have had better force-sensitivity than your average Corellian smuggler, but not enough for him to spontaneously start sensing the Force and consciously use it. Or maybe not, but in that case the character shield problem remains a glaring huge plot hole. If Han Solo was even somewhat more sensitive to force, his good luck in firefights would have at least some degree of credibility.

But I've made my opinion clear enough already. Perhaps someone should ask about it from Lucas or something. Although I have a feeling that the answer would be something along the lines that anyone can form their own opinion about what's going on there...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.

All humans in SW are canonically Force-sensitive, IIRC.  Just most don't have enough midi-chlorians to do squat about it...

midi-chlorians DON'T exist!!!!!!!!!
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
And don't forget that Lando guided him. Without Lando's guidance, Solo would have hit Lando instead of the sarlacc.   Where is Solo's deed compared to this? Right up there with Luke's first lightsaber practice drill :p  I win.  Even if Luke had 100 years to training Solo in the Jedi way, it would not have had any result. See previous comment.

midi-chlorians DON'T exist!!!!!!!!!

I was speaking SW canonically, so, canonically, that's BS 403.  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 01:33:13 am by jr2 »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Stop dignifying Lucas' brainfart, you. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hey, it makes perfect sense to me!

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
no PC version of this then?
I hate My signature!

Offline BS403

edit: removed trolling

It sucks that there won't be a pc version.

Offline BS403

Something to add to the luke vs kyp debate:
Quote from: wookeepedia
Luke's abilities with a lightsaber and the Force allowed him to fight his way through countless Yuuzhan Vong warriors in the Sacred Precinct. After defeating numerous Yuuzhan Vong warriors in the Citadel Luke defeated more than five Slayers; while Kyp Durron, one of the most powerful Jedi of his time, could not best even the Slayers who were exposed to Alpha Red. Afterwards, Luke slew Supreme Overlord Shimrra Jamaane, who was stated to be the best warrior of the Yuuzhan Vong, despite just being injured by the poison of the Scepter of Power.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Luke's abilities with a lightsaber...
(...)

Impressive. Most impressive.

Well, I guess that kinda ends the debate about their relative abilities... :p
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline BS403

YARR!! You be mockin' me? avast! I really can't tell, And hoist the mainsail!