Author Topic: DirectX 10 for Windows XP - the Alky Project  (Read 9752 times)

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Re: DirectX 10 for Windows XP - the Alky Project
What a freaking idea is it to release an OS as "episodes"? This is just bull**** and nothing more then another name for patches.
I would realy wish that they take the ripped down part of Windows 7 I have seen and build the other stuff around it as seperate programs instead of one squisch squasch they have now.
Get rid of these shared files and regestries. I am not a programing dude so what I say might sound wrong but for me an OS is for managing the PC.
It tells the hardware what drivers to use and the programs if they can start and how. As the stripped down W7 has shown its possible to do this with Windows and get a slim program that would fit on a small disk and use 512KB of RAM.
I think they should stop there. Keep this and then add an User interface as an extra. Not make it part of the basic functions of the OS so that when anything is wrong with it...who cares I get thrown back to kinda DOS input but at least I can still operate the sytem. The restart or if its an more heavy error reinstall the interface. Just that part and not the entire OS.
Same goes for all the other programs. I have learned in the last two or three month in which I had to change some of my software to newer versions that a so many components in XP are linked together where I saw no link.
Why should the deinstallation of an editing program **** up my internet connection? What have these two in common?
So everything back to haveing there own files, folders and stuff and give people a easy to use tool to prevent any other programs to touch the config files except you allow it. Also no more common files (think that it the english term) where every company seams to put in their files. Using the same name for files that necessarly do the same thing......

Ok enough ranting and as said I am no programming dude but that is the impression and maybe rage I got from the last two month where I was so very close to erase my HD and start from the beginning.

Back to DOS and Norton commander ^_^
Ok not realy. I like my graphiks on screen but please could someone do a system that dosn't completly falls apart when just one component dosn't work and is still easy do use?
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Who needs DirectX10?

We'll soon have OpenGL 3.0! ;)

From what I heared (and understand) it looks like developers will be a lot more happy with OpenGL 3.0 than they were with OpenGL 2.0.

And I really hope OpenGL will be used a lot more in the future, so that we don't have to buy a new Windows versions each two years, to get an up-to-date DirectX version.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

What a freaking idea is it to release an OS as "episodes"? This is just bull**** and nothing more then another name for patches.
I would realy wish that they take the ripped down part of Windows 7 I have seen and build the other stuff around it as seperate programs instead of one squisch squasch they have now.
Get rid of these shared files and regestries. I am not a programing dude so what I say might sound wrong but for me an OS is for managing the PC.
It tells the hardware what drivers to use and the programs if they can start and how. As the stripped down W7 has shown its possible to do this with Windows and get a slim program that would fit on a small disk and use 512KB of RAM.
I think they should stop there. Keep this and then add an User interface as an extra. Not make it part of the basic functions of the OS so that when anything is wrong with it...who cares I get thrown back to kinda DOS input but at least I can still operate the sytem. The restart or if its an more heavy error reinstall the interface. Just that part and not the entire OS.
Same goes for all the other programs. I have learned in the last two or three month in which I had to change some of my software to newer versions that a so many components in XP are linked together where I saw no link.
Why should the deinstallation of an editing program **** up my internet connection? What have these two in common?
So everything back to haveing there own files, folders and stuff and give people a easy to use tool to prevent any other programs to touch the config files except you allow it. Also no more common files (think that it the english term) where every company seams to put in their files. Using the same name for files that necessarly do the same thing......

Ok enough ranting and as said I am no programming dude but that is the impression and maybe rage I got from the last two month where I was so very close to erase my HD and start from the beginning.

Back to DOS and Norton commander ^_^
Ok not realy. I like my graphiks on screen but please could someone do a system that dosn't completly falls apart when just one component dosn't work and is still easy do use?

You know, it's called Leopard 10.5.
DaBrain is right. OpenGL rulez.

And with buying Bungie, M$ f**ked up the whole Halo series. It ought to be a great game, with _spectcular_ GFX when it firs showed up WWDC. But M$ just rushed the release. Damn moneybags.
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
And I really hope OpenGL will be used a lot more in the future, so that we don't have to buy a new Windows versions each two years, to get an up-to-date DirectX version.

I think Dx 9 is already enought to do beautiful thing. I mean, no space opera have propose a great engine except X3 Reunion.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
To make things short...I have seen Macs crashing as often as PCs.

About OpenGL...I also think that it would be cool to have more games written with it. From what I get its very easy for porting games to different platforms. With all the games mostly beeing developed with multiplatform releases in mind it could give OpenGL the deserved attention.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
WEll, the thing with Alky is it's their goal to port DX to different platforms.  Did anyone actually read what I posted?  I edited the first post, you know.  Read it.  Then come back, and let me learn from your discussion.  I already know M$ are a bunch of cheating, money-hungry thieves.  :p

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That's why I'm not buying claims you can't back port DX10. If you can't then you have to wonder what the hell Falling Leaf have been doing. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

About OpenGL...I also think that it would be cool to have more games written with it. From what I get its very easy for porting games to different platforms. With all the games mostly beeing developed with multiplatform releases in mind it could give OpenGL the deserved attention.

Wait what?  Where on earth did you see these macs crashing?  Were they being used by monkeys or something?  I've had this mac for over 3 years, and I've never ever seen it crash.  The one I had before that only crashed like 3 times (and even then all you had to do was restart it).

I'm actually very interested to know how they crashed.  Know any specifics?

Wait what?  Where on earth did you see these macs crashing?  Were they being used by monkeys or something?  I've had this mac for over 3 years, done all kinds of crazy things with it, and I've never ever seen it crash.  The one I had before that only crashed like 3 times (and even then all you had to do was restart it).  I've seen applications crash, sure - but thats basically the fault of lazy developers.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
I have a friend whos shown me proof you can back port to dx 10 but he hasn't given out his secrets  :sigh:

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?

Wait what?  Where on earth did you see these macs crashing?  Were they being used by monkeys or something?  I've had this mac for over 3 years, and I've never ever seen it crash.  The one I had before that only crashed like 3 times (and even then all you had to do was restart it).

The college I go to has TONS of macs, and I see them crash and malfunction just as often as PCs. In fact, my roommate managed to crash his within a week of getting it, installed XP on it, is running crash free to my knowledge.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
One of the easiest ways was to hit any keyboard combination while Avid was saveing stuff on a Mac. That surely made it crash and me go "WTF now I have to redo all the work I just did?"
Only happend on one of the two Avid-apple systems we had...the other just paused and then started to work again.
These macs allready had quite some problems with starting up. Toke them forever, then stoped at bootup like 2 out of 3 times and rebooting didn't worked that well after crashes cause it got you straigth back to reboot several times.
In defance I have to say these where very old Macs and no one bothered to do any kind of system check or any other caretaking for the system. Poor Macs if you ask me.

In school we also got a good number of macs. They where more modern but I also heard some swearing from their places....and I didn't even entered the room.
I got a magical aura that makes Macs crash just by entering the room.
Ok it happend only ones. A college had a new Powerbook or what its called and everyone was standing around it, he was praising it to heaven. Then I just said "Ah its just a PC don't make such a fuss" and the damn thing crashed. Was hilarious as hell and I was never allowed to be near is Laptop again ^_^
Sometimes I get the feeling that computers understand me. When I say "I have to go to bed at XX:XX" These damn things crash just 5min before that time and that on a nearly regular basis.  :nervous:

I have worked on both systems for some time and my experiance could be summed up to about this. Both systems aren't idiotic proved. If you got a person using it who dosn't know how to operate the system it will crash.
Both systems need some attention to it. Keeping a clean system and don't put every trash you find on it.
In the end both are the same.
Or as my math teacher said "The caculator is only so smart as the guy who us it" ^_^

The college I go to has TONS of macs, and I see them crash and malfunction just as often as PCs. In fact, my roommate managed to crash his within a week of getting it, installed XP on it, is running crash free to my knowledge.

Are they crashing in bootcamp/Vista or something? Are they running 9.2 in Classic (the really old OS)?  The only time I saw a mac crash (in OS X) in the past 3 years was on my old machine.  It was a kernel panic - and that was when I was literally -trying- to make it crash.  What kind of behavior did the school macs have?  What kind of crash did your roomate's computer get?

Screenshot or it didn't happen.   :nervous:

j/k - its not that I don't believe you, I'm just actually very interested in what makes a mac crash.

Quote from: gevatter

I have worked on both systems for some time and my experiance could be summed up to about this. Both systems aren't idiotic proved. If you got a person using it who dosn't know how to operate the system it will crash.
Both systems need some attention to it. Keeping a clean system and don't put every trash you find on it.

Too true.  However, in my experience, Windoze seems to be generally much more unstable - more prone to conflicts/complete loss of hard drive/etc.  Windows has problems - it could take you an entire day to get things back in order.  On OS X, at most it takes a few minutes.  Again, just in my experience, but I've worked a fair amount on Windows (my previous job being virus removal, afterall).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 03:33:41 am by Hazaanko »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Aren't you supposed to like rebuild the desktop or something on a Mac to keep it stable?

Yeah, at school, our Mac's crash pretty often too. But infact, only because all these windows users mercilessly pound our iBooks screaming "HEY IT DOESEN'T WORK LIKE ON WINDOWS! THIS MAC IS CRAP!! ASNKBVUFASFBS!!", so our Mac's are completly FUBAR'd.
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Yeah, at school, our Mac's crash pretty often too. But infact, only because all these windows users mercilessly pound our iBooks screaming "HEY IT DOESEN'T WORK LIKE ON WINDOWS! THIS MAC IS CRAP!! ASNKBVUFASFBS!!", so our Mac's are completly FUBAR'd.
LOL, we should name a ship that in a parody campaign

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The most common crashes or crash-like behavior I have seen comes from hardware faults or from running way too many background programs (usually including several types of malware) at once. The cooling on most of these OEM systems is pretty anemic and most people pay no attention to what their machines are running in the background, so both causes are fairly common. A modern OS shouldn't be crashing at all if it's set up correctly and runs on stable hardware.

Aren't you supposed to like rebuild the desktop or something on a Mac to keep it stable?

Oh man - that brings back memories.  About 10 years ago, before Mac OS X (10.0.  We are now at 10.5), there was OS 9.  If you went a few months without rebuilding the desktop (it was kind-of like a superficial de-frag of your hard drive), you would have significant slowdown, and if left unchecked for a year, your computer would basically die if you were unlucky.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

Oh man - that brings back memories.  About 10 years ago, before Mac OS X (10.0.  We are now at 10.5), there was OS 9.  If you went a few months without rebuilding the desktop (it was kind-of like a superficial de-frag of your hard drive), you would have significant slowdown, and if left unchecked for a year, your computer would basically die if you were unlucky.

So, I take it they made this automatic or fixed it for OS X?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?

I don't know what they did - I know I'd just be using some Mac app and it'd randomly close and bother me to send the error to Apple. And no, they were using OSX from 10.0 to Leopard - they've all crashed. Macs really aren't that stable.