Author Topic: [RELEASE] Yet Another Launcher (Linux, Windows, OSX soon).  (Read 96874 times)

Offline Havner

Re: [RELEASE] Yet Another Launcher (Linux, Windows, OSX soon).
There is nothing i can tell you about what needs to be done. You need to know yourself how to do that, if I knew (or at least had OSX to experiment) i wouldn't ask for help :-)

Basically there are few simple OS specific functions to be written. Get latest svn and look in trunk/src/macx. They should be self explanatory when comparing to win/linux implementation.

About build system I'm pretty sure qmake will handle it automatically.
Need a linux launcher? Check here.

I personally don't like how you used buttons. I prefer the tabs, myself.

Thats because I didn't manage to wrap tabs in QT. You'd have to scroll one line of them left<>right which was even worse. I'll get back to that at some point. For now its just cosmetics.

It's argued that they are a bad idea usability-wise... people hate multirow tabs as they hate Comic Sans. Not even the KDE equivalent supports this.
There are bugs opened about this, you could vote for them...

Offline Soulstorm

• You really don't want to know!
    • Soulstorm's Personnal Webspace
Well, that means that I should stop rewriting Luncher 4 for OS X?

If you would like, I could do some work for this Launcher on OS X... Notify me if you want to.
Soulstorm's website -- Articles, Programs, Forums, 3D art, and many more.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Honestly, it's a race to the finish line at this point.  Preferably a cross platform launcher that works would be ideal, but people have to use what they can get in the meantime and there's no guarantee the best solution will be seen in the near future.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

If you would like, I could do some work for this Launcher on OS X... Notify me if you want to.
Well, the OS X specific parts need an OS X user to test them. I suppose that's what Havner would most want from you right now.
It's really easy if you know OS X and have a machine to test:

* FilePaths_macx.cpp
- bool initialize( const QString& );
Sets QString m_qstrGameDir to the game directory. Probably just the dirname() of the parameter.
- QString getConfigDir();
Returns a dir where config files will be stored. Probably the same that fs2_open uses.
- QString getTempDir();
Returns a dir with write permission so fs2_open's -get_flags works. Probably just QDir::tempPath().

* System_macx.cpp
- static bool run( const QString&, const QStringList& = QStringList(), bool = false );
Run the game with the given parameters
- static bool runBrowser( const QString& );
Open the URL from the parameter with an Internet browser
- static int mSleep( int );
Just sleep.
- static QSize getSize();
Returns the window size.
Probably all of them can be just copied from System_unix.cpp.

Offline Havner

Probably all of them can be just copied from System_unix.cpp.

I suppose they can't. Take into consideration that application on OSX is an .app dir. I have no idea how's that related to data dir. Binary itself is hidden somewhere inside this .app, I don't know whether your current dir when you run this .app is inside binary dir, inside .app dir or somwhere else. Same with config dir. AFAIR fs2_open holds it somewhere else then ~/.fs2_open.

So basically you can't copy that from System_unix but a person with basic knowledge how that work on OSX should be able to do that without any problems. If any of you is eager to do that be my guest, would be nice to run this launcher on OSX.

Answering Soulstorm's question, no I don't want you to stop developing anything if you feel that's needed. On the other hand if you feel you're doing the same work and would like to help here you're more then welcome.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 03:37:10 am by Havner »

Offline Soulstorm

Yes, I am willing to help.

Also, I haven't been around for some time, and I also haven't taken a look at this Launcher to see differences and similarities in functionality, so I can't tell you if 2 Launchers are needed. Right now, I am willing to begin writing Launcher 4, which will be a complete overhaul from 3, and I also want it to use Core Animation in order to make the UI more appealing to the end user. Objective C offers a great level of abstraction, and sometimes that is needed.

So, what do I do to help? Must I download a binary? Or take a brief look at the source? This program is Qt based, right? Please pm me if you are interested in me helping with anything regarding the new Launcher.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
We're very utilitarian in this community. I can tell you we don't need core animations (unnecessary animations would make it worse). Just make it a good utility launcher and that's what everyone wants at heart.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I wouldn't speak for the whole community, Mac users are notorious for expecting a pretty UI, even if the same doesn't apply to the community as a whole.  If it improves the user experience then go for it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Agent24

Can someone help me getting this working on Kubuntu 9.04?

I've played this on XP before but I thought I'd try to get it going on Linux as well

I get these errors:

Code: [Select]
make -f Makefile.Release
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/agent24/Desktop/yal-0.1.3'
g++ -c -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -Isrc -Isrc/gui -Irelease -o release/FilePaths.o src/FilePaths.cpp
make[1]: g++: Command not found
make[1]: *** [release/FilePaths.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/agent24/Desktop/yal-0.1.3'
make: *** [release] Error 2

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The error seems pretty self explanatory to me, it can't find g++ so there's something wrong with your build environment.  Either it's not installed or it's not in your path.

Offline Havner

Exactly as chief said. Besides if you want to use it take SVN version, much more usable.

Offline Agent24

Thanks but I have no idea how to get SVN or what g++ is or what to install to get it...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Use synaptic to install the build-essential and qt-make packages.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 06:39:05 pm by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Havner

Also install subversion, create some dir and inside it in terminal run:

$ svn co svn://vega.livecd.pl/yal/trunk

Offline Soulstorm

I have decided to take a look at the Launcher, so I downloaded from the latest trunk at the SVN. I installed QT 4.5 on Leopard, and I opened the "yal.pro" file. When building, I received 12 warnings and 4 errors from the debugger. Note that I have Leopard.

In Snow Leopard, I receive 250 warnings and 46 errors, and I take it this is a Qt incompatibility with Snow Leopard.

This is what I am getting in Leopard 10.5.8:

Code: [Select]
/Users/soulstorm/programming/Active Projects (Controlled)/FS2_QT/trunk/src/macx/FilePaths_macx.cpp:3: error: prototype for 'bool FilePaths::initialize()' does not match any in class 'FilePaths'
/Users/soulstorm/programming/Active Projects (Controlled)/FS2_QT/trunk/src/macx/FilePaths_macx.cpp:3: error: prototype for 'bool FilePaths::initialize()' does not match any in class 'FilePaths'

I guess that you need help with the OS X side of the Launcher? Or I did something really wrong with this one? I would really like to help with Qt, and I intend to get to know it better, since I need to do some cross platform work in some projects.

Offline Havner

Exactly, the errors you pasted show unimplemented functions that need to be done for OSX. Just look what they are in linux/win version, they are QT independant, just some simple functions for finding files and a little bit more complicated for running processes.

Offline Soulstorm

I will try. I intend to get involved with Qt, and when I learn to do some basic stuff, this Launcher is the first one I will look into, in order to establish support for OS X.

If I may ask, is distributing the compiled application with Qt allowed? Or must anyone who wants to use the Launcher must download the source and compile it?

EDIT: Oh, and... if anyone doesn't have the Qt framework installed, can he/she use the precompiled binary?

Offline Havner

If I may ask, is distributing the compiled application with Qt allowed? Or must anyone who wants to use the Launcher must download the source and compile it?

You can distribute the precompiled binary but if it's compiled from modified source you need to give the modified source as well if someone asks you (GPL)

EDIT: Oh, and... if anyone doesn't have the Qt framework installed, can he/she use the precompiled binary?

Normally no, there are few ways to workaround that:

1. Statically link
2. Include libs together with binary (more of a windows way)
3. Include framework within .app dir (osx way, don't know whether that's possible but something like this should be)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Is this the latest launcher?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png