Author Topic: Battlefield 2142 Players Heads Up (BF2142 + Spyware)  (Read 9721 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Battlefield 2142 Players Heads Up (BF2142 + Spyware)
God save us! :shaking:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
http://www.totalbf2142.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4490

For any who understand more, can you tell if the list at the 2nd page are the spywares in it? Because if they are, holy ***!

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
It can be worse, wait till we actually get "this kill was sponsored by Pepsi!" messages onscreen.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
heh, I happened to post in that original thread yesterday.

As I said there, I don't care about BF2142 specifically but we're likely to see this crap in other EA titles like Crysis and C&C3. Although there are generally third party hacks available to remove stuff like this, in which case I don't need to worry about it.

Unless EA starts validating data files, which could screwup the hacked files.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Unless EA starts validating data files, which could screwup the hacked files.
Isn't that what PunkBuster does for online play?

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
What little interest I had in acquiring this game is now very much long gone.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
This is probably going into C&C 3 too :/
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I think SWAT 4 had a hack like three days after release that removed the ads.

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
The sad part is this is the direction all games are going in.  It's like buying Happy Meals.  It'll be all advertising, with this teeny game inside. 

As if StarForce wasn't bad enough...

*Runs because I probably just opened the Gates of Hell*
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
This (tooot) is going to be in NFS Carbon too.

Great. Just great.

http://www.massiveincorporated.com/site_network/pr/08.31.06.htm

Third paragraph.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think SWAT 4 had a hack like three days after release that removed the ads.

Editing the hosts file to stop it accessing the massive network address, I believe.  But I'm not sure how well this would work for an inherently online game, and even if you block the sending, it doesn't stop the fact that this ****ing thing is sitting there monitoring you and using up resources.

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Would it be possible to kill the spyware by hacking out its registry keys, but leaving the spyware itself intact?  I had problems getting Norton off my machine when I converted to Panda, so I hacked out Norton's keys and it solved all the problems.  Whould the same solution work here?  (Assuming the spyware has registry keys...)
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

This also assumes the game exe doesn't take care of the spyware exe, like fixing up registery errors (assuming it has any entries).  I suppose I shouldn't talk... might be giving them ideas  :nervous:

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Just skimming through anandtech it looks like you may need to uninstall windows security patch KB917422 to run BF2...
WTF?!?! Ya.... lets make my computer less secure   :P

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 08:49:28 pm by Vasudan Admiral »
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
This here just shows that EA is all about BUSINESS.  They don't care about gamers or developers, they just want thier big sellers (NFS, BF, Anything from Maxis) to keep making money.  Watch, there will be a "required" Sims 2 patch now, and those who have an always-on internet connection will be greeted with advertisements during the loading screens.  Oh crap I better shut my big fat mouth!
 :nervous:

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Re: Battlefield 2142/NFSC Players Heads Up (Spyware)
Speaking of Sims 2, has anyone looked up NFS: The Island or Sims 2: Island? Or whatever they're called?

Carbon isn't even out and... well whatever.

As for hosts file... anyone know the hosts linking to IGA? If I remember correctly, it's IGA=BF2142, Massive=NFSC... =X
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
You guys are too negative. This is gonna be great for:

keeping the advertising fresh and relevant for gamers
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

It's still spam, just disguised as a sheep. I don't want to buy DVD's that have commerical interruptions, even if their up-to-date.  Besides a $50 mod shouldn't have ads in them.. unless EA thinks it's really worth $80  ::)