Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 762589 times)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
I suggest the .jar idea be dropped altogether, and another method be used.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline miskat

Guys, guys.  He said he was making a GUI for it.  He's got it covered, just give him time.  ~.^

JAVA is a great way to go, since its not system-specific, but it is truely horrid in terms of GUI and ease-of-use IMO.  A difficult hurdle to overcome, and he's trying, I applaud him completely.

As for the changes I noticed, the only one was the missing EARTH in the background, behind the First Fleet HQ, in the very last "mission" of the FSPort, where the credits scroll.  Not a big deal, just leads me to wonder if it's the only thing missing is all.  It would be nice to know the cause too.  Really could be just a slightly outdated mediavp or... well... god only knows what little things could cause this.  XD

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Guys, guys.  He said he was making a GUI for it.  He's got it covered, just give him time.  ~.^

JAVA is a great way to go, since its not system-specific, but it is truely horrid in terms of GUI and ease-of-use IMO.  A difficult hurdle to overcome, and he's trying, I applaud him completely.

As for the changes I noticed, the only one was the missing EARTH in the background, behind the First Fleet HQ, in the very last "mission" of the FSPort, where the credits scroll.  Not a big deal, just leads me to wonder if it's the only thing missing is all.  It would be nice to know the cause too.  Really could be just a slightly outdated mediavp or... well... god only knows what little things could cause this.  XD

You're right, Java's not too bad because of its multi-platform ability.  The problem is actually coding it properly, as he discovered the other night trying to get it working for linux.  But once the backend is working, the GUI can be coded almost completely separately from the java portion, in a different language altogether even.  Hell, he could probably even do it in a web browser, if resuming could be worked out.  Talk about cross-platform support...although I'm thinking something more like a different front end for each OS, something based on Win32 libraries for windows, qt or gtk for linux, and whatever sdk for native Aqua support is commonly used.

I have a feeling it'll be a while before reliable md5 checking and such get completely implemented.  Getting md5s reliably created for files would currently be up to the mod authors probably, because doing that for all the mods that could get implemented into the installer could get way over one person's head before you know it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

The other day I downloaded the installer and there were two icons - one for the installer which checked online for updates, and one to revert to retail. After getting the new 3.6.9 final, I noticed your installer was updated as well. So I downloaded it and got rid of the previous version.The new installer has 5 files that I can't open. Did I do something wrong? Where is the icon for auto-update? Thanks

Many of us have the same problem. Turey blames it on our browsers.

Change the .zip to .jar and you can run it.

Is that difficult? Is there an explanation somewhere?

Not difficult if I understand you correctly.

What happens is, you download a file called "FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.zip". You unzip it and see files inside and become confused.

Instead of unzipping it, rename FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.zip to FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar, then double click it. If it doesn't run, download his utilities.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,42854.msg898299.html#msg898299

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I have a feeling it'll be a while before reliable md5 checking and such get completely implemented.  Getting md5s reliably created for files would currently be up to the mod authors probably, because doing that for all the mods that could get implemented into the installer could get way over one person's head before you know it.

Checksums are coming soon. I've got a better way to do them than what it's using right now, but I'm having a hard time coding everything when my computer is in the shop.

Java's especially difficult when the first time you ever touched it was this October.  I'm doing all this with less than three months of experience in Java.

I suggest the .jar idea be dropped altogether, and another method be used.

Once I get my computer back, I'm hoping to get Excelsior JET so that I can distribute the Installer as a .exe, while still being able to use the power of a full programming language like Java instead of the limitations of a scripting language like NSIS.

Edit: Now that the updater is finished I ran it again and this time it said everything is up to date. However, I noticed when it was running that several of the cutscene files failed to download. I'm going to try to download them manually.

I suggest you add an updater log to list any files that didn't download correctly.

Instead of keeping track of failed downloads, the Installer will (soon) try to re-download 4 more times, then ask whether or not it should be skipped.

Also, I suggest you add a "Yes to All" option in the installer/updater so that users can walk away from their PCs while the install/update is in progress.

This will come with the GUI.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline miskat

Renaming the .zip CAN actually be very difficult if you have a newer version of windows and don't have the proper settings or don't really know your way around.

If you cannot see the .zip file extension in the filename then you have to go to the folder options (open My Computer, go to the menu and enter Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> UNCHECK "Hide extensions for known filetypes"

Once that is done, changing the .zip to .jar is as easy as renaming the file from FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.zip to FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar

Hope that helps anyone!

=)

UNCHECK "Hide extensions for known filetypes"
Hmm, indeed. I didn't think of that, it's one of the first things I change when I install Windows.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is actually something I said I was going to do. :nervous:

As for the changes I noticed, the only one was the missing EARTH in the background, behind the First Fleet HQ, in the very last "mission" of the FSPort, where the credits scroll.  Not a big deal, just leads me to wonder if it's the only thing missing is all.
This is a FSPort bug, and should be reported in the FSPort forum.

Offline miskat

Oh, my apologies, Goober5000, I had thought it was Turey's project.  My mistake, thank you for letting me know.

As for the FSPort error, I actually beg to disagree... it should not be an FSPort error, as it does not persist in a manual install of FS2_open, only in Turey's install.  It is notworthy to mention, however, that I have only tried Turey's installer, not Shivans or any of the others.

*shrug*

I tried this and I couldn't get it to work. I renamed it and downloaded the utilities. The problem may be with that. I wasn't sure which file to put it in. :confused:I put it in some Java file. I think I'll wait for a no brainer fix.

Offline miskat

You have to download the Java JDK off of Sun Microsystems website in order to use the utilities.

You then install the utilities in the same directory you installed the JDK to.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
As for the FSPort error, I actually beg to disagree... it should not be an FSPort error, as it does not persist in a manual install of FS2_open, only in Turey's install.  It is notworthy to mention, however, that I have only tried Turey's installer, not Shivans or any of the others.
Well this is interesting.  Maybe Turey isn't deleting a file, or something.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Only thing I can think of is the fsport_3_0_3.vp might not be deleting. That's the only file that had its name changed, so wasn't overwritten. It should have been deleted though.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline miskat

On my install there was no fsport_3_0_3.vp as it was a fresh install and only the 3.0.4 version was installed.

To be honest, I did a file comparison, and couldn't find any files BY NAME that were different between the two installs.  Go figure.

How does this compare:

Offline miskat

Woa there!

You have quite a number of things I don't recognize.  Several ship VPs, and the FreeSpace2.fc2 file, DoP_SCP.vp, cutscenes.tbl, Angel_CPR_high.vp... heh.  But These are all things I have in NEITHER of my installs.

However, I AM itnerested in the ship VPs and stuff... always interested in things that make this game prettier.

That's ALL ShivanSPS baby, (plus the fsport 3.04 update). Follow the guide in my signature, Option 1 (still under construction, but quite worthwhile IMHO).