Poll

What sort of ending do you think the GTVA Colossus should have?

Getting beamed to death by the SJ Sathanas while standing still? (Volition canon)
8 (8.8%)
Getting beamed to death by the SJ Sathanas while still attacking it and inflicting some damage?
43 (47.3%)
Getting beamed by the SJ Sathanas but surviving, but still getting scrapped because it took too much damage?
4 (4.4%)
Getting beamed by the SJ Sathanas and surviving, but getting destroyed by the Capella supernova?
12 (13.2%)
Getting beamed by the SJ Sathanas and surviving, as well as assisting in Apocalypse and successfully making the jump to Vega before the supernova?
13 (14.3%)
Getting beamed by the SJ Sathanas and surviving, but getting bombed to death by bombers?
1 (1.1%)
Getting beamed by the SJ Sathanas and surviving, but experiencing death from above in the form of a Shivan warship's beams (including another Sathanas?
5 (5.5%)
Something else?
5 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: About the End of the GTVA Colossus...  (Read 33185 times)

Re: About the End of the GTVA Colossus...
Actually, Alakabeth, it did end with a bang...the bang of a disabled Colossus. :mad:

The Colossus' defining moment wasn't when it died. It was when it chose to stay and hold the line in that mission. I believe there's a point when the Colossus is told to withdraw but the Captain says no. It's fate was sealed then, the only thing to come was the inevitable.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
"We'll hold them back here. Just get the Bastion through! And fix that damned repair-subsystem SEXP!"
-C

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Command, please execute the following SEXP:

when
+hits-left
 <
 --Colossuss
 --10%
+set-subsystem-strength
- hull
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Or, alternatively:

when
-true
-ship-guardian-threshold
--Colossus

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'd have the Colly blow up from beam heat sink failure. Or blown-up from a sole NTF operative.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Excalibur

• Forsee a new beginning.
It was within range when the Sath emerged, surely. It should have at least fired back. As for how it was disabled and Command didn't notice...
His legacy will last until the beginning.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The thing is that the mission brief stated very clearly that only the Colossus' fighterbay was disabled.

I'm guessing that :v: didn't have the time to do a proper battle sequence.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I'd've had the Collossus fight the second sath disabled, have a huge fighter engagement between the two ships, have the Collossus win, very damaged, go mental with celebration, and then get attacked and instantly destroyed by three Sathannases that warp in.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Command, please execute the following SEXP:

when
+hits-left
 <
 --Colossus
 --10%
+set-subsystem-strength
- hull

Actually, that would be an excellent example of trying to chew through multiple layers of hull. :yes:
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm guessing that :v: didn't have the time to do a proper battle sequence.

Actually they did.

This one seems to come up every time the death of the Colossus is discussed so I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet but the original version of Their Finest Hour featured a non-disabled Colossus. If you look at the mission in FRED you'll see that the Colossus has a whole intricate path it was meant to follow during that mission. One thing is fairly obvious though looking at the mission. At some point near the end of the dev cycle (probably after the completion of the voice acting) the mission was radically changed. The Colossus was disabled and the whole path it was meant to follow during the mission became unused.

I've never actually simply tried fixing the disabled engines and trying to reconstruct the mission as it was originally planned but I suspect the original plan for the Colossus was much more heroic than the one we actually saw.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I wonder if the friendly cruisers and corvettes actually got to shoot back at the Shivan cruisers in the original version.

It always seemed kind of funny that command would tell Alpha 1 to "let the warships do their job" when the warships couldn't do their job.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I'm not sure. I've personally seen the cruisers and corvette fire their beams before, but I don't know how to trigger it.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
It's triggered in the mission, the trouble is, it's triggered before the friendly "fleet" actually jumps in, so the trigger doesn't take. All that needs to be done to get it to work is change the timer from... I think 10 seconds... to around 30.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
This one seems to come up every time the death of the Colossus is discussed so I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet but the original version of Their Finest Hour featured a non-disabled Colossus. If you look at the mission in FRED you'll see that the Colossus has a whole intricate path it was meant to follow during that mission. One thing is fairly obvious though looking at the mission. At some point near the end of the dev cycle (probably after the completion of the voice acting) the mission was radically changed. The Colossus was disabled and the whole path it was meant to follow during the mission became unused.

I've never actually simply tried fixing the disabled engines and trying to reconstruct the mission as it was originally planned but I suspect the original plan for the Colossus was much more heroic than the one we actually saw.

I not only blame the time schedules, but also the HORRIBLE pivot point of hte Collie.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Actually they did.

I know. Some guy called Kazan did a version of Their Finest Hour with the beams on all ships freed PROPERLY. He also un-disabled the Colossus so it actually did move around the waypoints and managed to score some hits on the Sathanas before kicking it.

If I'm not wrong, the other warships also joined in the fray too.

I not only blame the time schedules, but also the HORRIBLE pivot point of hte Collie.

I agree, actually. They put the pivot in the wrong place. In my remake, I originally wanted to add an Orion that would deploy escape pods to fly to the Colossus, but the juggernaut swung so quickly around the waypoint turns that it smoked all four of them, and it would've done the same to my wingmen if they weren't invulnerable. :mad:

This is why you cannot have a single mission where the Colossus parks itself above a jump node, then move to engage a warship.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:07:09 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I know. Some guy called Kazan did a version of Their Finest Hour with the beams on all ships freed PROPERLY. He also un-disabled the Colossus so it actually did move around the waypoints and managed to score some hits on the Sathanas before kicking it.
Some guy called Kazan is actually pretty famous around here.

But that mission wasn't too great really. It was better than the original though.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Oh, oops... :nervous:

I was thinking that if both warships moved around each other, it might make for an epic battle. The problem is that they are massive, so to make them move around a lot, the waypoints must be about 10 000m away from each other. This draws the mission way beyond ten minutes.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack

-C

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Pwnt.