Author Topic: A random newbie just saying hi.... + an ugly bug  (Read 1524 times)

A random newbie just saying hi.... + an ugly bug
Hi, i've been lurking around these forums for quite a while and i'm amazed at the progress you've done.  I originally found out about this from the demo freespace2 with my joystick, i checked websites shortly after, only to find freespace was dead(well, the developers were :D ) and you guys were supporting it, then i got the disk images(that package from shivanSPS wasn't made back then) and things got rolling from there. Played all the great campaigns (derelict scp, transcend etc.), also been getting the latest builds and testing a lot.  What can i say, i like this game so much  :)

Anyway, decided to finally post after sighting this bug with OGL env map using this build:

Get Taylors' latest build from http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/nightly/, it's the most modern, and it has support from environment mapping in OpenGL. You should always run in OpenGL it's faster.

\/ i thought i'd see how env map looked in subspace, after all it's usually dark there with the ambiet factor on 60, despite with all the light. I didn't stay close to the monitor in case something wrong happend, MAN WAS I SMART!  :D

The effect went *with* subspace, so those ugly pixels were moving along  :eek2:
It could have been a bug with the build, or the env map, but i'm sure i don't want to try and find out  :nervous:
plus, this build crashes when i take screenshots, not that i blame it  :p

Now... *awaits the green sign of dea... i mean.. of welcome*

Offline neoterran

Re: A random newbie just saying hi.... + an ugly bug
I don't have those problems, either one.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I haven't experienced this bug with the build in question, but I have experienced a bug like this before.  It was a long time ago back when I was playing with 256MB of ram and a GF2MX-32MB video card.  I tied it for some reason to my AGP settings.  I noticed it and some freeze-up bug, with setting my AGP to maximum, which was 4X.  When I dropped back to 1X (I couldn't select 2X with my drivers), the bugs went away, and I noticed no slowdowns.  Then, I upgraded my system and got an R9600XT-128MB video card and noticed the same freeze-up bug I mentioned.  Dropping back to 4X (from maximum of 8X) solved the problem and also boosted system stability, with no noticeable slowdowns.  I've been running at that setting ever since.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

well thanks for the replies, my gfx is a r 9800 Pro 128mb, so it's not under the limit for scp, i wonder why it's doing that though..

a couple of questions for ya

1) when is someone gonna post a recent amd/p4 build and does my AMD Athlon 64 3000+ truely benefit from these builds?

2) Everytime i take a screenshot with opengl, no matter what i do the screenshots are ALWAYS black. Thing is though when i paste the screenshot in paint, it shows and it's not black(with this newest test build, it'll just crash on screenshot).  It's such a shame having eye candy but not being able to show a lot of it :(  .

edit: UPDATE: ok, it turns out that catalyst a.i was screwing over the subspace background, which i fixed by turning it off.  Env map works, but has a LOT of work to be done(on fixes), good start however ;)

Turning it off also fixed the screenshot problem.  With the new build, screenshots save as... GREEN, good fix :) *hint* sarcasm *hint*
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 10:53:26 pm by Waistless »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
So, what WAS your AGP setting, and what is the maximum?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline neoterran

I don't think env mapping has a lot of work to be done. It's a subtle effect, you don't want it to look overpowering.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"