Hosted Projects - FS2 Required > Inferno

Icanus development

<< < (3/8) > >>

Nightmare:

--- Quote from: Iain Baker on September 24, 2020, 05:54:46 pm ---"...shortened to 11KM". Damn, I wanna see that now.  :nod: Also wanna see the 22k version.  ;)

--- End quote ---

I know I know... :( It's at best twice as long as a Sath, pretty big but not overwhelming. :sigh:

--- Quote ---Just a thought - would a 22k ship be the largest ship in a space game?
--- End quote ---

Neither in FS nor in scifi games in general.

Droid803:
I'm still arguing for a Gigas-Icanus supercap duel, even if the both the Gigas and Icanus are reduced in size. We've also floated ideas of the "Icanus" being...something else entirely  ;7
The main argument has been that it's incredibly difficult to make a mission around something of that scale that is meaningful.

--- Quote from: Iain Baker on September 24, 2020, 05:54:46 pm ---"...shortened to 11KM". Damn, I wanna see that now.  :nod: Also wanna see the 22k version.  ;)

--- End quote ---
You can see the 22km version in INFR1 (and in the FS wiki)

Nightmare:

--- Quote from: Droid803 on September 24, 2020, 06:50:50 pm ---I'm still arguing for a Gigas-Icanus supercap duel, even if the both the Gigas and Icanus are reduced in size.

--- End quote ---

Personally I'd like to see a 22km Gigas vs a 11km Icanus, but that's just my personal opinion~

starlord:
I’d be curious to know what its sub space weapon looks like (or that of the Sathanas for that matter).

Also, I tend to agree with nightmare, but I’d understand if it was impossible.

Zarax:

--- Quote from: Nyctaeus on September 24, 2020, 08:21:48 am ---We have nothing against "big bad ships". Inferno already introduced one of them in form of Vidyadhar superdestroyer. Gigas is likely to appear, but it won't be just ridiculously large warship designed to engage enemy fleets. It's sheer size must have some point, but being just a giant warships for being giant warship is wasting resources for something, that is in turn also logistics nightmare. Gigas is already shortened from 22 to about 11km. It's real purpose, probably associated with some strange, subspace magic is being debated inside our team.

As for Icanus, this thing is ridiculous especially for terran usage. As we slowly rework EA from "generic space nazist" faction to more intelligent and cunning enemy, we also drop ridiculous things. EA proved that they can build smaller warships [Nemesis] capable of engaging much larger targets, like Sathanas. They really don't need such a thing. Instead they can maintain balanced fleet of high tonnage, full of specialized capitalship designs and easily roll out new forces to the frontline as situation change.

--- End quote ---

I fully agree with adding more depth to EA and move away from capships as main measurement stick for campaign progress.
If anything, in my personal speculation an isolated EA would have gone in a completely different path technology-wise, especially as an isolated system would lack the resources available to GTVA.

I definitely wouldn't see them as space nazis, more like a culture shaped by its isolation and fear of annihilation, with every single scarce resource dedicated to looking for an escape from the solar system and watching for any sign of Shivan activity, possibly with the assumption that what was left of GTA and Vasudans have been exterminated already.

Something like the Icanus could be seen as a project to grant humanity a last chance to escape, basically attempting to replicate Shivan ability to navigate unstable nodes and possibly the Lucifer's capital ship shielding. More an ark than a juggernaught in concept, its size being more about preserving a self-sustainable population than to fight capital ships.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version