Author Topic: Freespace Upgrade 4.5.x Discussion Thread  (Read 5986 times)

Re: Freespace Upgrade 4.5.x Discussion Thread
Re: The Phoenicia at least, its survival is implicitly framerate-based due to the way the event was handled. The Phoenicia will depart (and become invincible) when its hitpoints are less than 4% (and it isn't already dead), however with low enough framerates it can go from >5% to dead in a single frame, skipping over the chance of any escape. You can fairly easily force one outcome or the other by messing with time compression, setting it slow enough will guarantee its survival, and fast enough will guarantee its destruction.

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Re: The Phoenicia at least, its survival is implicitly framerate-based due to the way the event was handled. The Phoenicia will depart (and become invincible) when its hitpoints are less than 4% (and it isn't already dead), however with low enough framerates it can go from >5% to dead in a single frame, skipping over the chance of any escape. You can fairly easily force one outcome or the other by messing with time compression, setting it slow enough will guarantee its survival, and fast enough will guarantee its destruction.

That's a less-than-optimal workaround; the ship's already blowing up at x1 time compression and you have to enable cheats to get lower values than that, so you wind up with a mission event that new players will never know can even be triggered. (Granted, it doesn't affect the progress of the campaign, but still.)
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I do not recall at all that the Phoenicia actually survives this mission in Retail... afair it always blowed up on my end.

First time it ever survived for me was during a MVP playthrough.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 05:39:15 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

That's a less-than-optimal workaround; the ship's already blowing up at x1 time compression and you have to enable cheats to get lower values than that, so you wind up with a mission event that new players will never know can even be triggered. (Granted, it doesn't affect the progress of the campaign, but still.)
I'm not saying its a workaround, its just a way to blatantly expose the fact that it's all simply framerate based. We're just looking at regular ol' volition mission design. Whether the FSU wants to try and fix that is another issue, but it wasn't introduced by the MVPs (although its effect affect on your framerate can expose the issue).

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Sounds like the MVP missions need some event modification.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Small thing. Could you add again relative angle for turret09a in Leviathan? It was lost on 4.5.x mvps or it was removed deliberately? 4.4.x had it.

Offline CT27

I'm curious about something:

On the FSNebula campaign page the date says there was an update recently, but the version number didn't change.  What changed?