Author Topic: Q.U.B.E: Freinds' make their uni project into game  (Read 1770 times)

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Q.U.B.E: Freinds' make their uni project into game
Some university colleagues of mine who did really well with their final project, "Quick Understanding of Block Extrusion" have actually kept it going and (with some funding from an Epic-games realted group called 'Indie-fund') have made the game into a commercial product. It's a really well polished game and has been doing really well (already paid off its investment), so thought i'd spread the word here to see if it interested any HLPers. It's a first-person puzzle game made on the Unreal Engine (Unreal Tournament/Gears of war etc). Shall let the website explain further for those interested:

http://qube-game.com/
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Q.U.B.E: Freinds' make their uni project into game
Kind of looks like Portal-meets-Rubik's-cube.  Nifty.  I see there's a demo on Steam, so I'll give it a shot. :)

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Wa-a-a-ai-t a second....

Quote from: About Page
All three core team members are game designers and have been able to bring Q.U.B.E. to fruition without any programming expertise.
* BloodEagle looks at the UDK sticker on the website

I call bull****.  I call bull**** like it has never been called before.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
how are they considered developers if they don't program?
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I think "expertise" might be the critical word here. These guys have more like, amateur...ise. :nervous:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I think "expertise" might be the critical word here. These guys have more like, amateur...ise. :nervous:

I've looked into UDK.  Trust me, you need expertise to use it for anything custom.

*grumbles about the lack of proper documentation*

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
I think what they meant is that none of them were qualified as programmers during production, which they were not (our course focused on design and 'asset production' while programming was its own seperate degree). UDK can do some pretty nifty coding without coding thorugh a logic-tree-like system called Kismet (i remember the class couldn't believe the size of it nearing the end), but yeah they did need to do a little coding (mostly data files not unlike our tbl files) to get it fully working.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.