Author Topic: HOMEWORLD: Deserts of Kharak Trailer  (Read 9687 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: HOMEWORLD: Deserts of Kharak Trailer
I am in the minority in that I don't really like DoK. I don't know why, but it just isn't any fun to play. I got up to the fifth mission and I am thinking of uninstalling this.

Offline crizza

Finished it in normal difficulty... well...
All in all, it was a little bit too easy... the last missions had me basically sitting with my carrier parked near RU and CU stacks, keeping my strike force engaging anything coming too close while my bomber and strikecraft whittled the enemy carriers down. With a little help from my carrier...

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Anyone else had a case of Carrier Physics?

She steadied and leveled back to the ground after clearing the dune (which required a bit of hovering)...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 05:49:46 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
It was in that moment, while the carrier teetered perilously on its prow, that the Kushan engineers were inspired with the design for the Mothership.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I'm a little confused with the attack move thing. Is it basically "move until you can attack something, then stop"? Not saying there's anything wrong with it, I just kinda missed that part of the tutorial.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm a little confused with the attack move thing. Is it basically "move until you can attack something, then stop"? Not saying there's anything wrong with it, I just kinda missed that part of the tutorial.
It's your basic RTS attack-move order: move towards that location until you see a target, engage that target (this may involve further maneuvers if you're e.g. a LAV), and then when done, resume moving towards your original destination.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I finished on Classic today ... it got furstrating at times (esspecially when enemy carriers "breed" new cruisers while you are attacking) but that is mostly a fault of my playstyle (the Gaalsien are just better at shooting this from range than the Coalition as it appears)

Tip: Don't retire your Baserunners ever...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

I have to admit if this game doesnt get an active multiplayer base this games probably not going to interested me ever again, It's just that the campaign is so hand holdy and boring and the skirmish mode's AI is ridiculously easy and cheats (If an AI has to cheat and is still easy, you've done goofed). Honestly multiplayer isn't usually my cup of tea but it's probably going to be the only thing keeping me interested.

I am thinking of uninstalling this.

Me too.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
skirmish mode's AI is ridiculously easy
Play against Coalition AIs and tell me that again.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I am a ****ing cancer upon this game. I skimmer rush every single game and win every single game. I hope the people I beat keep trying, I don't want this game's pop to die :(

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's beyond me why they didn't make the carrier point defense guns Actually Effective against the early harass units.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Even if there's a (probably Coalition-specific) counter to this strat, it requires a level of execution and micro that is certainly beyond me and definitely beyond most starting players. I don't think having a simple 5-minute strat that kills new players unfailingly is good for your meta. New players should die after a ten minute game so they have a chance to make new mistakes and learn from them.

Right now an entire faction in this game is a noob trap, as well as most of the units in the Gaalsien lineup. If you're not skimmers-rails-missiles (but lol if the game gets as far as missiles) you're wasting time.

I bet they'll patch this up pretty quick, though.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Ralwood and I played some test games and Coalition can repel the initial skimmer rush with a few LAVs set on hold position around the carrier, and the carrier on Heal. The problem is you're then stuck on your one resource patch, with no map control, and the Gaalsien is beelining for heavy railguns.

Currently we are trying to brainstorm a next step!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This game is good, this game is really fun in multi. I still win most games on rush but sometimes it goes long and turns really hard-fought, and good Coalition players can absolutely beat the rush.

Here is an exhibition match between the top 2 players that's really good

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:53:53 pm by General Battuta »