Author Topic: How many of these do I want!?!?  (Read 13499 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
How many of these do I want!?!?
Top 10 Upcoming Space Sims:

From a while back.....
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Re: How many of these do I want!?!?
I am actually a bit tired of these go anywhere, do anything, build your fleet, land on planets, etc. games.  A LOT of it seems a bit too much me too, but frankly, I think most of them are trying to bite off more than they can chew.  I'd rather have a good, albeit somewhat limited game, than a game I can do literally anything I can think of, but will remain in beta seemingly forever with features only mostly good.

Like how I'd much rather the guy who makes Dwarf Fortress, would make a decent UI before trying to model the universe.  I also don't get all the Star Citizen hype, most of the features are still mainly just on paper; I don't know why you'd get excited for them before you actually know it's in and working.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Elite dangerous and space engineers meet all my needs.

I don't own either of them though.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I didn't realize Starmade was free (during alpha) until I saw this
Cheers Dekker, you've ruined my productivity which was zero but still
"No"

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Tooling around is fun and all but...

Tell me a story, spin me a yarn, immerse me in a epic, I want to breathe in a universe of tales like a heady wine.

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Tell me a story, spin me a yarn, immerse me in a epic, I want to breathe in a universe of tales like a heady wine.

I am actually a bit tired of these go anywhere, do anything, build your fleet, land on planets, etc. games.  A LOT of it seems a bit too much me too, but frankly, I think most of them are trying to bite off more than they can chew.  I'd rather have a good, albeit somewhat limited game, than a game I can do literally anything I can think of, but will remain in beta seemingly forever with features only mostly good.

Like how I'd much rather the guy who makes Dwarf Fortress, would make a decent UI before trying to model the universe.  I also don't get all the Star Citizen hype, most of the features are still mainly just on paper; I don't know why you'd get excited for them before you actually know it's in and working.
Gotta second these posts.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I agree when I'm in the mood to ingratiate myself into a bit of juicy fiction.  That time will come again.  I am currently in the mood to build a giant evil space chicken and fly a bigger rocket into its chicken butt.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Gotta second these posts.
Exactly. I get bored with those "do anything" games pretty quickly. The question that naturally follows is "what exactly?", and games without a story can't really answer that. I don't usually have patience for trade empire building, either. A well written "campaign" of sorts can add a lot to any game, but with so many multiplayer-only and pure sandbox games, this seems to be forgotten (since I play games mostly for stories, this trend is really frustrating). Those games that do have a story are often low budget indies which tend to have poor gameplay and/or graphics (sometimes disguised as "old-school" sometimes not).

I'd love a space game that would combine a good story with modern graphics and good gameplay. That said, this forum's projects section is pretty much the only place where those can be readily found. :) Star Citizen seems to be shaping up to be something like this, but it's still a long way off.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
I disagree that games without a story can't really answer the question "what exactly" since the "what exactly" is player defined rather than developer defined

Do anything games are basically giving the player a universe to build themselves a story, rather than having the story there but subject to small changes given how the player acts and reacts within the preset but wider range of instances.

It's the difference between reading a story, reading a story and choosing what your character does, and creating your story
Linear --> Open --> Infinite

Anyone can read or experience a story, but not everyone can write their own.
"No"

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The thing is, by handing off story creation to player, games like this become a lot less deep. Such a story would usually lack meaningful characters besides the player, for instance. They would also be strictly restricted by gameplay and engine limitations. TBH, I find this approach lazy. Most "sandbox" games lead to bland, generic stories that carry little meaning, because the game universe will never be as dynamic as our own. I'd rather have a pre-written, nonlinear (branching) story that the player can influence, but not completely control. This kind of story can have much more depth than "procedural" ones available in most sandbox games.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
The games were never meant to be deep (in terms of story) so I don't see why you're looking for depth in story in a game that was never supposed to have a story (created by the dev*)

Know what creates the story depth in these games? Roleplaying
You want dynamic story, join a group that roleplays. You'll get to see just how in depth a game like Minecraft can become with the minds of ten people interacting in an ever changing story crafted by themselves

Because again, there is no story to these games, that's not the point of them. It's up to the players to create their story
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:33:15 pm by deathfun »
"No"

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Whether it's supposed to have a story or not, the fact that it does not have one is what makes me (us) dislike it. 

That's like telling someone who hates country music, "But it's SUPPOSED to sound like that.  It's not MEANT to sound like rock."
Why is that an argument why they should value country music?
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
Klaus, that's not what my point was

My point was that developers deliberately chose not to put in a story in a sandbox game to allow players to create 100% their own story
Dragon's first post was about the games not being able to answer "What exactly" while I disagreed, the "What exactly" was player controlled

Then Dragon moved onto developers being lazy for choosing this route and preferring to have a more confined, nonlinear and developer created story. This is where I interjected about looking for story in a genre that isn't supposed to have one created for you, but created by you yourself

Course, now in response to you klaus, the games don't lack a story, they just lack a developer created one
That's my point

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:30:57 pm by deathfun »
"No"

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2

The being, I assume, the reason you (and me) are in on this community :P

I feel the same way; being able to "do anything" gets old if there's not a really exciting reason to be doing it. Some games are better at it than others; Elder Scrolls has a big open world but clear stories and adventures within said world, so you're not left with a pure blank slate.

@Dragon: IKR? That's part of the reason I play mainly retro games (KOTOR, oldschool Ace Combat, C&C Tiberium* and such)

*EDIT: With the exception of the last one, which was made mainly for multiplayer and had one of the worst single-player campaigns I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:26:41 pm by InsaneBaron »
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Star Citizen is going to have a single-player campaign (Squadron 42) so it wont be a purely open world game.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Aesaar

Yeah but Chris Roberts has never managed to make a story that wasn't mediocre, so I can't say I'm expecting much out of it.

I feel the same way; being able to "do anything" gets old if there's not a really exciting reason to be doing it. Some games are better at it than others; Elder Scrolls has a big open world but clear stories and adventures within said world, so you're not left with a pure blank slate.

There we go, I agree completely. I found that the best stories I've created (in my head) were the ones taking place in a wide open world that had actual things to see and do in it. A massive world is great, but it needs interesting things to do and see in it. A billion worlds to explore are boring if they're all just variations of the same few samples.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yeah but Chris Roberts has never managed to make a story that wasn't mediocre, so I can't say I'm expecting much out of it.
Maybe, but his characters were more than enough to make up for it. Say what you will about the plot itself, but I loved the characters in WC3. Also, IMO, WC4 did have a great story (it's often overlooked, because WC3 is the most famous game in the series). Even if Star Citizen's story won't be much to speak of, I'm pretty sure that the characters will be good.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Spirit's death haiku demands vengeance for this statement.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Lorric

Each to his own I suppose. The story is the only thing that holds my interest in these games, as I would use the word mediocre for the gameplay. With the exception of Prophecy which is my favourite because the gameplay is vastly superior to the other games imo and genuinely fun to play, and I value gameplay above everything else. I've actually been thinking of playing some Prophecy recently. The other games, I don't own them, except WC4. But I do enjoy seeing the story stuff on Youtube. WC4, the story was the only thing dragging me through it, same for WC3 when I rented it. The gameplay doesn't SUCK, and has a rare few moments, but it's just so inferior to so many other games of the genre. I found the stories to be immersive. Sucked me into the World and the characters and made me care.

I suppose I'm curious why you think not even one of the games' stories gets above mediocre. I'm not going to try and make you change your opinion on subjective material, I'm just curious.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:56:06 pm by Lorric »