Author Topic: favourite canon fighters.  (Read 27563 times)

Re: favourite canon fighters.
Aww not this **** again.....
Guys, burst damage >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "DPS"

From a pure perspective, yes, but some of us aren't such good shots or just don't have optimal hardware for pinpoint accuracy. For that type of work, spray-and-pray is the unfortunate fallback. An Erinyes loaded up with Kaysers is going to decimate anything unfortunate enough to fly in front of it, but the Erinyes had better be able to place those shots very precisely or he's gonna find himself with an empty energy pool and a big target profile.

I don't consider myself either terrible or very good at the game, and I know that having high-damage primaries is better...but eh, sometimes I just feel like slapping on some Avengers/Subachs and jamming down the trigger, sort of like a bad Pyro in Team Fortress 2.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Haha in a no-secondaries, no-evasion, full Kayser loadout joust between an Erinyes and an Ares, the Ares will win hands down. The direction of the target matters a lot, redalbatross. And what the target is doing...and the type of ship. There are simply too many factors to simply say anything that is in front of X ship will die.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
DPS is also more important if you're taking on big ships, which is what stuff like the Ares is all about.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
DPS is also more important if you're taking on big ships, which is what stuff like the Ares is all about.
Agreed- for big targets. In a dogfight, even a steady hand is going to miss quite a bit. I believe the point that QD was making was along those lines, that when you DO score a hit on your target, you want your target to feel maximum "ouch" factor. Thus, the importance of burst fire.

Anyhow, to get this sorta back on topic before somebody gets upset, I've always gravitated towards heavier fighters. However, I recognize their flaws, and I'll freely admit that my playing on Medium dramatically helps my fighter's ability to tank. Indeed, tanking- the reason I love assault fighters and bombers. I just enjoy being able to fly some obnoxious bulldozer of  a ship into a dogfight and just demolish everybody with gratuitous firepower. Case in point- I've beaten the old-school Shivan Gauntlet in an Ursa. In relatively casual play, I vote you can't go wrong with a fatty.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
Oh, FWIW, I like the Ares on principle, and still feel it's a solid choice for much of your run with the Black Lions.

I'll go with the Erinyes; dual Prom-S, one bank of Trebs intended for AA beam/subsystem popping, one for Tempests(as if 240/217 damage per salvo wasn't enough :P). AB recharge/cap is strong enough that it doesn't feel too lacking(for a heavy fighter) if/when you need to add a 'tick' to Gun ETS settings.

The Pegasus and Loki have speed and style(if the Loki had better-placed secondary banks for Tempests, I'd prefer it over the Perseus completely).

I want to love the Ursa, for the Maxim-capable triple-gun second bank, but in FS2 overall, like the Medusa for a balance of durability and ability to actually move, plus tighter gunpoints than the Artemis(and the turret, with a little creativity, can be used to actually help fend off a Manticore or two, though it's better in FSPort where it's not saddled with a Prom-R).

EDIT: Honorable Mention for the Ulysses. FS2's more energy-hungry primaries and its low gun power reserve make energy a lot more of a concern(though manageable), and it really needs to stay away from AA beams and mid-airspace collisions, but it's still the vicious dogfighter it was in FS1.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 12:10:15 am by Timerlane »

FS1: Valkyrie :) With 200 shields, the thing's a death trap, but I love flying it more than any other GTA ship. Primaries are well positioned for a Banshee/Avenger combo, the missile bank isn't great, but 120 furies is better than the Ulysses' 80 (unfortunately you are forced to choose between them and the Phoenix V, which with the Horus you aren't, but that's not that big an issue in FS1, where you can just close that additional kilometer and kill the damn thing manually). It's true successor is what I miss the most from the FS2-era arsenal; objectively the Perseus is great, but I could never love it as much.
The Athena is a work of art... and art galleries are exactly where it belongs :sigh: Attacking Shivan fighters with the Avenger is a joke. There are situations where I might find flying an Athena preferable to taking a Herc, but in the retail campaign, there are none.
As for the Hercules, the only thing better than shooting those fat bastards down is flying them :D although I think you have to be a Great War veteran to actually believe that :lol:

FS2: Have I mentioned I want a Valkyrie mk II? It could hardly be worse than the Hercules mk II... :D
Well, it's hard not to love the sheer firepower of the Erinyes :) And it's also a surprisingly versatile ship, quite apart in its dogfighting capabilities from the other heavier fighters. I also like the Ares, as a true successor to the old Hercules.
But for the situations where the Erinyes is too sluggish, the best choice is of course the Perseus.

Vasudans: In FS1, all their fighters would be very, very good if you could actually hit things with them :doubt: Well, not the Anubis, of course... the only way to make that thing at least decent is to mount the Lucifer's Shivan Super Laser on it :lol: The Seth is the least desperate in that regard, and it also has perfectly placed secondary banks, especially when compared to the Horus's. It's actually an excellent ship for it's class, capable of engaging fighters in a quite less embarrassing manner then the Herc is.
Unfortunately, by the time of FS2, the Vasudan old arsenal doesn't stand a chance in comparison any more, and the newest additions are unimpressive. The Serapis is very lovely, but lovely isn't exactly what you want when bad, ugly things start shooting at you. But at least it can shoot and hit (!) back, which for the Vasudans is a vast improvement.
On the other hand, the Bakha and the Sekhmet are better then all the Terran bombers put together, which is strange, since it's quite different from the situation in FS1.

& an honorable mention: the best space superiority fighter in both the FS1 and the FS2 - SF Dragon :D If you try flying it (armed with the GT(V)A weapons) you'll have absolutely *nothing* to complain about. Until you spend your 40 furies/80 tempests, or something touches your flimsy hull and knocks out a subsystem or two... :)
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
;) can  :cool: say  :nod: that that reply ;7 has  :) quite  :pimp: alot of  :eek: smilies  :lol:!
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Old habits die hard.
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.

Offline ShivanSpS

Actually the fighters i dont like are:

* Horus = Primary banks too separated of each other.
* Erinyes = it its good, but nah i die i lot in it.

I having the same issue with the primary banks been too separated of each other in the Uly, it at least the Uly is a better fighter.

The GTB Athena was a good bomber for fighter usage too, give me an Athena with Prom S, Tempest, Treb and Tornados...

Even with a Avenger the Athena kick ass because of the EXCELLENT primary weapon position... its way easy to hit the target, and when you hit it, all 4 weapons hit him, always. No other ship can do that.
Also with all those trebs, its just the perfect ship for SEAD missions.

But they reemplaced it with the completely useless Zeus... i prefer to fly the Osiris instead.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:55:03 pm by ShivanSpS »

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

I having the same issue with the primary banks been too separated of each other in the Uly, it at least the Uly is a better fighter.

The GTB Athena was a good bomber for fighter usage too, give me an Athena with Prom S, Tempest, Treb and Tornados...

Even with a Avenger the Athena kick ass because of the EXCELLENT primary weapon position... its way easy to hit the target, and when you hit it, all 4 weapons hit him, always. No other ship can do that.

But they reemplaced it with the completely useless Zeus... i prefer to fly the Osiris instead.

i prefer to fly the Osiris instead.

the Osiris

completely useless

>implying one can actually fly the Osiris

[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!

i prefer to fly the Osiris instead.

the Osiris

completely useless

>implying one can actually fly the Osiris

:lol: :yes:

FLY THE SEKHMET AND DESPAIR!!!
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline ShivanSpS

The FS1 Osiris was not THAT bad... the FS2 one is... well lets say a punishment, instead of killing you for treason, they put in a Osiris and send you to the frontlines.

Anyway i actually used the Osiris several times on the PXO era... just for fun :P

But the Zeus is like sitting on an oversized Perseus with engines disabled. Give my Athena back! lol

BTW, i remember i was thinking about making a multi mission that was about a Vasudan reserve bomber unit, so the players could only use the Osiris.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:54:10 pm by ShivanSpS »

But the Zeus is like sitting on an oversized Perseus with engines disabled. Give my Athena back! lol

x_X You people are messed up :<
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."