Author Topic: FSU Compatibility Package  (Read 7675 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
FSU Compatibility Package
I just wanted to bring it up again, since apparently the shine textures thread isn't the place to talk about it.
Is there one?

I can't imaging it would be difficult to maintain seeing as you guys use SVN.
Whenever you delete something from it, just paste it into a separate SVN for the compatibility pack...etc etc.

So, is there one/will there be one?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Re: FSU Compatibility Package
wut?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Droid803

Basically consists of old effects/maps that get removed (specifically tiles).
Plenty of things use them as dependencies.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
A lot of older mods use tile textures that have been renamed or removed entirely from the modern media-VPs. This will only get worse as more and more ships get UVed. This means that when the game fins them, it finds the ugly old shinemapless, glowmapless, 256 colour low-res retail versions of those texs instead of the fancy new ones that someone, at some point, worked hard to improve. It's a step backwards for a lot of mods.

[EDIT]Ninjaed by Droid. :(
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, a couple points.

Yes, the shine maps thread is not the place to discuss this. Here is perfect.

Why can't anyone open the old MVPs and rip out the tile maps in question and make the pack themselves? This is a totally honest question and not meant to be condescending. I'm not entirely convinced that this is something that FSU needs to do to for the sake of every old mod out there. We have a lot of work that we do. Currently we have 20 models in our WIPs folder... not to mention keeping up with all the new SCP additions... In short we've got a lot of work on our hands and most of us have other mods we are working on at the same time. We have to prioritize.. and maintaining yet another VP isn't high on our priorities right now. (Zacam can correct me if I'm wrong.)

Those old models should probably be UV'd anyway... or at least texture baked to a single map... (I understand that a lot of people aren't capable of this.)

I hope this didn't come off as mean or rude. I'm just trying to explain our position the best I can recall from the last time we talked about it.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Droid803

Because I don't have something that lets me compare versions. You do.
I don't have access to the SVN logs, so I don't know exactly what has been changed.

Do you know how harder it would be to compare every single file to find all the differences?
Do you know how much easier it would be if I just had a massive list of which files to copy and paste?
Do you know how much easier it would be to just do along the way while changes are made?

Long story short, the SVN log makes all the difference. That is why "just anyone" can't just open the old MVPs and rip out the tile maps, because finding which ones were ripped out would take longer than actually ripping them out. You're busy, I'm busy. You don't have time to do something that takes maybe two extra seconds every commit? :doubt: Well I don't have time to spend two plus hours comparing files in VPs.

I don't see how it would cut significantly into your time, while I do see how it would cut significantly into mine for me to do this because I don't have access to the SVN logs.

So, unless you're just going to give me (or anyone else interested in maintaining this) SVN access, I still think it's better for someone within FSU to maintain the package. I'm not trying to sound rude or entitled or anything even though I may come off as that, but it would be far more efficient if someone that actually has access to the list of things that have changed to assemble the package over someone doing things blindly.

Hell, give me SVN access and I'll finish it a day, and then it'll be two seconds for everyone to keep it updated whenever a commit is made to the finalized part...  :doubt: Stuff that goes on in the WIP folders or whatever doesn't concern this at all...its two seconds every time something is finalized, and stuff is cleaned up...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:58:51 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You assume at this point that it would be simple just because I have a log...

No, I'd have to first know the names of all the tile maps previously removed (which is not readily apparent in the log/filename), find the commit where they were deleted, restore them, move them to a new folder, and then I can maintain from there.

I'm not going to be pulled into comparing who's time is more valuable.... All I'm saying is that it's not a priority compared to the other work I'd rather do.

Besides, all you had to do was ask nicely..  :doubt: If you want to do it, then I'm sure Zacam would be more than happy to give you the read-only login info to the SVN...

As an afterthought.. You don't really need to compare every file. Just open the old VPs and rip every single tile map out and put them in their own VP because it's likely that all the tile maps will go bye bye, long-term.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
This may or may not have any bearing, but if someone wants to dissect the older Media VPs to find what textures might need to be salvaged for such an undertaking, I have all the Media VPs stretching as far back as 3.6.8, still stored on my hard drive.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This compatibility pack thing is going to happen. There's nothing wrong with the idea.

However, one thing that should be understood is that despite them being used in that way, the mvps are NOT a general purpose repository of textures and assets. They are made specifically to improve FS2 retail, nothing more, nothing less. As such, keeping old textures and assets around just because someone, somewhere depends on a specific asset being in a specific state is not an option.

One thing that could help us though is if you could give us a list of textures you need.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
CapVTile*
cruiser02*
cruiser03*
cruiser03x*

For the next mediavps version:
capital03*
capital05*
tsoup*
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Droid803

also supertile* for the next version (sath textures)
I have no clue what has vanished before 3.6.10 Beta :(
(´・ω・`)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
tcov*, ctile*, capital01-*,install01-*,doctile* series [Deimos, Aeolus, Orion, Arcadia, Ganymede] - needed for Shadow Genesis.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Droid803

capital04*
CruisTileS*
CorvSTile*

if/whenever the Demon/Rakshasa get their htl ver. finished (and someone bakes the Moloch)

and then there's the AWACs/Gas Miner tiles that I can't come up with off the top of my head, a surprising number of models use those...
AWACTile*
miner2t*
I think it was, not entirely certain.

--

capital# (hecate textures). if anyone bothers baking that one too.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
tcov*, ctile*, capital01-*,install01-*,doctile* series [Deimos, Aeolus, Orion, Arcadia, Ganymede] - needed for Shadow Genesis.
Except all of those are still in the mediavps?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Droid803

Depends how far along that HTL Arcadia is. Doesn't seem like the Gany/Deimos/Orion are gonna change.
And aren't the Aeolus ones already gone? The HTL one uses a single UVmap already.
(´・ω・`)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Again.. I suggest the idea that someone just get a list of ALL tile maps, find the newer versions and then drop them in their own pack.. no maintenance required... if a model gets HTL'd and the tiles removed from the MVPs, no change necessary... Since apparently people are listing tiles they want in the pack and not just ones that have been removed.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
I half-wonder if it'd be more efficient just to take the tile maps from the 3.6.10 Media VPs and subtract out any of the files in there that happen to coexist or conflict with those in the 3.6.12 Media VPs.  That should pretty much cover all the bases, right?
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
We have a lot of work that we do. Currently we have 20 models in our WIPs folder...

Sorry a good chunk of that is my doing, not necessarily a bad thing though for a couple of months there all I was doing was spewing out shivan models.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Aeolus uses single texture but old tile textures are still present in MediaVPs. In my opinion, the best option is removing all no longer needed textures [like Aeolus' ones] and put them in separate package dedicated for modders.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns