Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 281861 times)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Re: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4,
Oh, it motivates me so much to have such overwhelming response!

Of course man. This plug in is the best thing to happen to the FS community in a long time. The models Maverick and Triv have put together using it for TBP all look fantastic.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Yeah, I know it's been helping out a lot, I was just joking. It's just that when I get to work on it, I can't find anyone online to try it out right away while I still have the motivation going. :p

Anyway, next on the list is the XForm problem. Then I'll look into the rest of the problems after this one (which seems to be the major problem now) is fixed.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
What exactly is the xform problem?  I never seem to have come across this one - at least, not knowingly. :)

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Well, some people say that objects and subobjects come out moved, rotated or misaligned on the POF. It can be fixed by applying a Reset XForm modifier to the objects on MAX and reconverting them to Editable Mesh before converting, but it can be a pain if you have lots of subobjects.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
What about that model radius problem?

That and the MOI are the most important ones. If you can't get the MOI to work properly, fill the matrix wit zeros, as PCS does. Not correct, but at least no weird ship spinning.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Did you try the version I posted to check the MOI problem? And what's the radius problem?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
The raius of the model comes out twice as larg as the model itself. Dunno what that has to do with what in game, but it's there.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Just view any model in the lab with the appropriate checked options.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing
What about that problem where the center of the ship is moved too far forward?  The result is that when warping, a ship will take longer to emerge from the vortex, and then the vortex will close on the back end of the ship.  I have to send many of the new or recompiled TBP models to Stratcomm for this fix (done with HEX editor) and the MOI thing.  If the MOI thing is now fixed, and if the warping position gets fixed, we can stop having to bug Stratcomm to fix out models for us.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Well, the center of the ship is always at 0,0,0 on MAX, so all you have to do is center the ship properly on MAX before exporting. I can add a helper for the ship center info, though, if it's needed. It would be relatively easy. Now, the radius problem was really silly, so here's a RAR with updated versions with the radius properly halved. If it's still wrong, let me know, I didn't test it, just divided by two and recompiled everything.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
StratComm is the guy to ask if the radius is correct now, as he's the one who fixed it before.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
If you just divided it by two, it should be close enough to not need tweaking any more.  I figured it was something silly.  Since this has come up before, most warpin position glitches are a directly related to a bad radius value, and that should be fixed now.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Your plugin isn't creating any pof files for me. At all. It goes through the steps but no pof is made.

edit: after more testing. it successfully over wrote my horus. But the moloch I'm playing with will not.

edit2: pofexp keeps getting larger, but no pof file generated. now to see if this is because of the model or if it's with all of them

edit3: seems to be only that model. Wish i knew why. o.'.o

edit4: nevermind on that. that model seems to be generally f00ked...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 05:31:16 pm by Raa »

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Can this thread get re-stickied?  It's a rather important one, and with search out, it should stay in a visible place.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Ops, unstuck it by accident. And Raa, if you want me to check it out, send me the model and I'll check the output logs. Gotta be for MAX 5, though.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
No can do. Max 7 here.

Though, mayb if Styxx is a good little boy, a late christmas gift could be max 8 >..>;;

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Well, the center of the ship is always at 0,0,0 on MAX, so all you have to do is center the ship properly on MAX before exporting. I can add a helper for the ship center info, though, if it's needed. It would be relatively easy. Now, the radius problem was really silly, so here's a RAR with updated versions with the radius properly halved. If it's still wrong, let me know, I didn't test it, just divided by two and recompiled everything.

Awsome, thanks mate! ^_^

If we could get a fully working version of this it would just make things so much easier and time conservative. :D

:yes: :yes:

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
So, no one has a model with the XForm problem to send over? I'll assume no one is having that problem then. :p

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Its fairly easy to come up with one, I just think Max 5 as a requirement may be a problem for at least a few people.  I personally have learned to work around it but I do know how to cause it.  Again, wait until I can get to my primary PC and I'll get you something.

Urg... I buried my 3dsmax 5 ages ago. Will sending u a 3ds file be useless? Perfhaps the POF lof file.

I know this problem comes up when u mirror a mesh. The scaling, and orientation would be ok... but the shading will be reversed in the game. This is a problem corrected only by using reset X-form