Author Topic: Controls systems  (Read 4623 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Another thread :lol:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline bfobar

Logitec Joystick although it seems to be dying and loses its calibration constantly. It used to only do it once in a while and unplugging the usb, and replugging fixed it, but now it's pretty constant. Sucks. Guess I should buy a hot ass.

I loved my old sidwinder precision pro, but winders doesn't support it anymore so I can't program the buttons or use the shift key. It still works too, so that sucks.

I could never use mouse + kbd in flight simulators. sniping may be more accurate, but flying is far less graceful.

Offline cvearl

I have/use the logitech Fox Pro2. Wish it was FF

I love the stick swivel axis and how it rotate the ship. That, and the normal stick operation, is great in dogfights. I love it.

I just wish I could use the slider for throttle.

The rest is all default keyboard controls.

C.

I don't think they would use a keyboard and a mouse to fly a ship, just like they don't use a keyboard and mouse on fighter planes.

Therefore I use a joystick. Sure it's not as acurate but it's more realistic and i believe it's the way the game should be played.

I also programed game commander with several voice commands, especially when trying to talk to my squadron. Much more realistic. I find game commander extremelly usefull for flight sims and space games. A must have!

Offline Cyker

Still clinging onto my non-USB Sidewinder 3D Pro! ;)

This topic has been talked about many times before, 'tho I still don't understand how people can play with keyboard+mouse!  :eek:

I know they can (My friend thrashed my TIE Fighter speed-run with a mouse+kbd setup...), but I've tried it and just don't understand HOW!  :confused:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Funny you should mention that, Cyker; someone in the Descent community recently made a limited run of proper gameport-to-USB adapters for the 3D Pro.  Nothing beats it. :) I usually stick to my trusty Saitek Cyborg Evo for FS, though; the throttle has a really nice feel to it.

Offline Kaboodles

• Kill the meat. Save the metal.
Back before I played FPSes and before I owned a joystick, I would play with a racing wheel.  Actually, I think I did have a joystick, but I didn't use it as much because the wheel had more buttons.

Offline Freespace Freak

• Official forum permanewb
I've always used Joystick, and never could get used to the mouse.  Maybe when they release the new mouse support for 3.7 like it's (supposedly) planned I'll try it.

I've got a question... I acquired a Thurstmaster Afterburner joystick/throttle.  How do you get the throttle gear to accelerate/deaccelerate?
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
go to control options, go to the ship section, select Absolute throttle, click bind, and push your throttle stick forward.

X52 all the way. I'll agree with Trivial Psychic, though. It's pretty loose, but it does wonders in-game. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Thanks Cobra, that did the trick... plus figured out the rX rotation too..

Too bad this software drivers are quite buggy.  :(
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
I've played FS using a variety of inputs....

mouse and keyboard...not tactile enough
Logitech Attack 3....To impercise
Logitech Wingman Extreme gamepad...sweetness

the wingman is by far my favourite for any space sim.  super comfortable, fits all the commands i need, the rest the keyboard suffices.  just for the love of all things good and holy leave the tilt sensor OFF (ps: the SIXAXIS/wii controller are gonna suck ass!  don't let them tell you different.  Force Feedback is far more important to placing people into the game experience, tilt functions are just going to drive people up the wall.)
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
After seeing some of the new plans for mouse control, it'd be interesting to play with those modified controls.
I'm still playing with the keyboard/mouse combo.  I actually have four buttons set for yaw and pitch.  I roll with the mouse, most of my throttle/weapon select functions are controlled on my mouse too. I constantly have to let go of the mouse and hit other keys to do certain functions, but it doesn't bother me at all. 

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Still clinging onto my non-USB Sidewinder 3D Pro! ;)

As am I man!

Oddly enough, I didn't even buy it.  I had an old-school regular sidewinder (the 2 button one) and it broke, so I sent it back to microsoft (this was when I was like... I dunno, maybe 9?) and they sent me back a 3d pro.  Been using it ever since.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

joystick and keyboard! saitek ftw :yes:

Offline Iron Wolf

• Shzam!
usually stick to my trusty Saitek Cyborg Evo for FS, though; the throttle has a really nice feel to it.

That's what I use too... Although it kinda creeps me out. With those lights, I keep thinking it's gonna become self aware and kill me...

:nervous:  :headz:
Come on now, be honest. Wouldn't you all rather listen to your hairdressers than Hercules? Or Horatius? Or Orpheus? All those old bores! people so lofty they sound as if they s**t marble! - Mozart, Amadeus

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I still preffer my old 'n trusty Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold (USB). Replaced the trigger with a molded graphite one.

I don't like the centerlined throttle in the Evo's, drives me bonkers.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline At

• Eklektikon
Logitec Trackman + laptop keyboard.

I don't think I've touched a joystick for ten or more years.  Well, on computer, anyway.

I'd really like to try a custom two-joystick setup I have in mind...  It'd take some extra hardware and drivers, though.  And it'd be much more suited to Newtonian physics.  But it'd be fuuuuun...
Of course, if I'm gonna do that, I might as well build a cockpit, too...  Mmmmmh.

It'd go nicely with that external data thingers cockpit thing that someone brought up earlier.  And I've already got one old CRT sitting around... I'm sure I can find more at a compufest.  Or ebay.
Does there exist a StarFox Mod?  Yes!  Check out Shadows of Lylat!

That thing…its just too persistant.

Sadhal thought to himself in between his pants. After a few seconds, his breathing came under control, and the pain subsided. Sadhal couldn’t help but feel a significant amount of fear and apprehension.