Author Topic: Coming soon: Deep Blood  (Read 11366 times)

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Coming soon: Deep Blood
Deep Blood: A Freespace 2 campaign.

Designed, created and produced by: Arron "Gai Daigoji" Alderson
Testing: James and Lisa.

Restored by the FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project.

Two years have passed since the destruction of the Capella star, two years since both the Terran and Vasudan peoples almost lost their homes, their worlds, their empires.

Two years have passed since we stopped the Shivan advance in the Capella system. Since then the GTVA has had the long and hard task of relocating the Capellan refugees as well as dealing with the economic factors of the war.  The fleet is a mere shadow of its former self and is mainly acting as a police force due to its reduced strength.  We are no longer the fit and strong fighting force we once were.

For two hard years the Capellan refugees struggled to find a place to call home, GTVA command decided to explore the Jump Node that led from Altair - a Node they had never been through before. Luckily they found seven worlds that they gave to the Capellan refugees, the new system was designated as Orion.

The Orion system is located beyond the newly discovered jump node in Altair.  One year ago, GTVA Command ordered the system to be explored.  It holds seven M class planets and a jump node leading out of the system that is as yet unexplored.  Since then the system has been colonized by the Capellan refugees. 

The GTVA is about to pay for its failure to explore the jump node leading out of the Orion system.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:06:34 pm by Macfie »
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Coming soon: Deep Blood
I want to get excited, but that campaign blurb certainly hasn't been restored.  :nervous:

EDIT: mostly fixed.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 07:23:18 am by General Battuta »

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Just curious: In the original, were there lots of stars and nebulae? Not telling you to change it if it didnt'. It looks great. :D

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I remember this as being pretty much a clone of Derelict.

Offline Macfie

Kinda like transcend and synch
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Wait, it's kind of like Transcend and Sync, or Transcend and Sync are Derelict clones?

Offline Macfie

Transcend and Synch are no more clones of each other than Deep Blood and Derelict.  That would be my point.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Transcend and Synch are no more clones of each other than Deep Blood and Derelict.  That would be my point.

Ah, right.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I vaguely remember this one, but I don't know if I ever played it or just downloaded it.  Either way, it'll seem new, so that's what counts.  :yes:

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
This looks like something I'd want to play in the future.

Also, please use better JPG compression next time.  </nitpick>
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
Ooh, someone wants wallpaepears ;) Looks interesting; do they play I Spy a lot?
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
They do it once. :)

Question: do you guys like the nebula backgrounds showed in those pics?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I really like nebulae, and am tired of playing missions without them, but unfortunately the color scheme in those nebula layouts makes them pretty hideous. Remember one of the first rules of graphic design: the fewer colors the better. A given system should stick to a consistent scheme, which can really help set the mood.

Those are unfortunately sort of a watercolor mess. Less is more when it comes to colors (as with text, and so many other things).

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Unless it's changed. I remember it being exactly the same as Derelict. Random backwater, random Shivans. They even have a random Gorgon cannon.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I really like nebulae, and am tired of playing missions without them, but unfortunately the color scheme in those nebula layouts makes them pretty hideous. Remember one of the first rules of graphic design: the fewer colors the better. A given system should stick to a consistent scheme, which can really help set the mood.

Those are unfortunately sort of a watercolor mess. Less is more when it comes to colors (as with text, and so many other things).

Good point here, but I tend to use as many nebulae as possible for the sake of variety. In the best scenario, we have circa 15 nebula bitmaps of the same color, meaning that you'd see the same bitmap an average 3-4 times in a single background. I'd really like to use well defined schemes, but the number of bitmaps at our disposal prevents me from doing so.

Thanks for posting your opinion, anyway. :)

Unless it's changed.

The plot hasn't changed, obviously.

I remember it being exactly the same as Derelict. Random backwater, random Shivans. They even have a random Gorgon cannon.

The two campaigns have many things in common, but also differ under many points of view. TBH when I played Deep Blood for the first time I went through it without thinking of any particular similarities with Derelict other than the whole Orion/Tau Sigma deal.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Good point here, but I tend to use as many nebulae as possible for the sake of variety. In the best scenario, we have circa 15 nebula bitmaps of the same color, meaning that you'd see the same bitmap an average 3-4 times in a single background. I'd really like to use well defined schemes, but the number of bitmaps at our disposal prevents me from doing so.

From a technical POV, using fewer nebula bitmaps is a very good idea, as these thingies are incredibly expensive in terms of render time. Best to use custom skyboxes/skyspheres.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I can get 100+ nebulae in a single mission without causing the game to slow down, so they mustn't be that expensive. And my computer isn't anything next gen, as it is almost 5 years old.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Just do whatever's necessary to have your nebulae all be a fairly uniform color scheme. Whatever it takes to not look like those screenshots above.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Sure, but first I need to know if it that's universal truth, and not a mere matter of tastes. Do we have anything saying that all nebulae in a single background should have the same scheme?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Sure, but first I need to know if it that's universal truth, and not a mere matter of tastes. Do we have anything saying that all nebulae in a single background should have the same scheme?
Well, I dunno. I think it's a pretty universal thing that a splash of one or two colours looks better than every colour splattered everywhere.