Author Topic: RELEASE: Warzone  (Read 39801 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Look at this mantis report: 1870

I upload a fixed mission.

Spoiler:
The problem is that if you knock down the Comm Node too hard and fast, its hull strength can drop jumping the <12 test Guari has in its arrival cue. (For example from 15 to 0 or something like that). In this way, Guari never arrives and the mission can't be finished.

The mission I upload just has a modified arrival Cue for that ship, copying phreak's suggestion from the mantis report.

I've just edited the mission in notepad, rather than FRED2, because new FRED versions make much more changes that I don't know if you really want

[attachment stolen by Slimey Goober]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 03:36:14 pm by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

DAMN THAT'S ONE AWESOME FREIGHTER. ITS SO MANEUVERABLE AND FAST, I CAN'T EVEN HIT IT!
 :lol:

I saw that an lol'ed.
Great campaign :yes: very intense. I only stopped for a break cause I got killed by friendly anti-cap beam fire.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline eliex

DAMN THAT'S ONE AWESOME FREIGHTER. ITS SO MANEUVERABLE AND FAST, I CAN'T EVEN HIT IT!
 :lol:

I had to change the time compression to .25 to even have a chance of killing it with my primaries.

Offline CaptJosh

Funny, I kill dragons with primaries more that missiles... And without any time compression or decompression.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Funny, I kill dragons with primaries more that missiles... And without any time compression or decompression.

wait wait... how much time does it take you to do that?? sure I can do it myself but it's easier to just shoot a couple of missiles from afar and watch it go down.
el hombre vicio...

Offline eliex

That's cool. My primary accuracy is pretty bad that's why I normally fly really fast fighters like the Pegasus so I can close in really quickly to the target.

Offline CaptJosh

Well, all I can say is that the only way to get better with your primaries is the same way you get to Carnegie Hall...

Practice, practice, practice
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
wheres the voice? thought FSCRP put in voice?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I don't think they can do voice acting for every campaign they upgrade.  It's just too much work and takes too long.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Exactly. Well, the main issue is finding enough actors...

We're considering an alternate voice acting for Derelict, which may be ambitious.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

We're considering an alternate voice acting for Derelict, which may be ambitious.

With all due respect, why would there be any need in the world to do that?  The thing's been entirely voiceacted, and (putting any consideration of myself either way out of the picture) quite well, at that.  This community has a hard enough time finding people to voice campaigns that still need it, let alone going back to re-do campaigns that already have completed voicework.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I read comments of people who claimed pretty much the opposite, though. There even was an "Alternate voice acting for Derelict"(or similar) thread somewhere.

We will not replace all voices, though...only the ones in dire need of replacement.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Droid803

Just...no. There are no voices in dire need of replacement because when I played through, I could tell who was who, and the voices were clearly audible.
It's a waste of time.
Just like making four (ok, three) HTL Orions because someone didn't like how one of them looked... There will always be someone who doesn't like something. Nothing's perfect, but both the Voice Acting for Derelict and the HTL Orion are done to an acceptable standard IMO, and priority should be given to stuff that hasn't been done before redoing what already has.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
According to Admiral Nelson there are a few FRED glitches in Derelict SCP that may be taken care of by the FSCRP. In the meantime some of the voices could be replaced.

It's not heretic, IMO.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Droid803

Well, as long as its not going to be a redundant complete redo of the whole thing and just a few fixes that's fine :)
(´・ω・`)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
No one has enough FreeTime to redo all Derelict lines... :nervous:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
A couple examples: Missing persona lines -- it would be nice to have these recorded; you are directed to 'scan the lokis' in one mission even though doing so actually does nothing.  Rerecording this line would be required to resolve the issue, and as it was Mongoose who recorded the line in the first place there should be no problem in replacing it. 
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

I read comments of people who claimed pretty much the opposite, though. There even was an "Alternate voice acting for Derelict"(or similar) thread somewhere.

We will not replace all voices, though...only the ones in dire need of replacement.

A few of the quotes in the command briefs were not voice acted.  I can't tell you which ones off the top of my head though.  I would leave the voices as they are.  There is only one that was a tad static but other than that they were extremely well done.  I believe that one was your contact for the first SOC loop.

Aurora Paradox

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Another good thing would be to replace some of the voices to have a various pool of actors. Many of Derelict's original actors recorded more than one character so it'd be nice to have more variety. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

What you fail to mention is that that thread contained any number of responses completely decrying the suggestion.  As Droid803 stated, there will always be people out there who don't like some particular upgrade or another.  These people, however, rarely constitute anything close to a majority.  As I said before, completely discounting consideration of my own performance (and I'd probably be overly-critical of my own voice, if anything), I greatly enjoyed the vast majority of the work that went into Derelict.  All of the main roles had well-defined and memorable tones, and all of the lines are adequately audible.  Considering we're all a bunch of complete amateurs with (mostly) crappy old mics doing this, results like that are about the best that one could hope for.

I was (obviously) involved with the process of Blaise Russell organizing the voicework for Derelict, and I saw how long it took and how much of a hassle it was to try to get everyone's lines submitted.  Hell, I know how ridiculously long it's been taking me to get anything in for my part in Warzone (I swear I'll get back on that this week at some point).  It's hard enough to do all of that once, and at least in my mind, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever for it to be attempted a second time for a campaign with already-complete voicework, if for no other reason than the fact that it nullifies the hard work that the original actors contributed.  Getting myself or one of the other actors to tweak a line or two that didn't come out right is fine, but completely replacing certain roles just because one feels like they can seems like so much wankery.

What I know right now is that I can play through Derelict on a SCP build with no visible bugs and a full voice cast.  As far as I'm concerned, the restoration has already taken place.