Author Topic: CPU vs GPU intensive options?  (Read 6989 times)

CPU vs GPU intensive options?
Heyo,

Am trying to run SCP on a laptop with i5 and 4gb of ram but no video card. Was wondering what options of scp are CPU/RAM intensive (shouldn't make that much of a difference for me) and what would be video card intensive and should therefore be turned off for me to have a decent playing experience. I mean anything from spec maps, normal maps, mipmapping to resolution and bit depth. Thanks!
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: CPU vs GPU intensive options?
Hrm. We've had players who just use an Intel Integrated (assume that's what you have). You should probably keep just about everything off for a start...see if you can play with the MediaVPs at all.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Normal map on an intelgrated won't be rendered at all anyway, since the shaders required for those won't be loaded. Glow and spec work fine, at least on my old rig. To be honest, an intelgrated can run the MVPs fine, as long as the CPU and the RAM are sufficient. I'm currently working on a MVP-lite for netbooks, you might want to wait a bit for that if you can't run the current MVPs smoothly.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Thats horrible though, a good rig and no video card?

At least Intel's integrated solutions have finally improved themselves a lot over the old generation.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
I have a rather cheap Geforce 320M inside my Notebook. It's the cheapest gaming-solution I could find - and it runs the engine just as smooth as my desktop computer does - well of course some missions with a lot of action slow down a little, but that's bearable. I can even play DragonAge with 20-40 fps on it (total cost was about 720€ IIRC).
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

I mean the game runs. But mv_advanced obviously doesn't work, and sometimes the slow down is pretty horrendous. I was wondering how mipmapping and spec mapping, glow maps, enviromaps, lighting to missiles, 3d shockwaves,  are processed. I know in games like Dawn of War, lots of the video options are actually handled by the CPU and have nothing to do with the video card, so I was wondering what options in SCP are the same.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

Laptop -> Good rig
No comprende~

It is worth picking up a reasonable laptop gpu card if you have the expansion slot though, but generally speaking certain hardware requirements need GPUs, so although you will have no trouble running FSO you will probably never have access to some of the shinies without a card.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You should be able to at least enable glow maps (ships start looking really weird without them) and shine maps.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Well, you can't enable glow maps on retail ships that don't have them, you see ? You need to have ships that have them, hence MVPs.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

MVP-lite for on board graphics is a great idea. But I have two questions. 1) what will we miss in terms of picture quality and special effects. And 2) Lets say I reach half way into a mission. but I have to visit some family over the weekend. what would I need to copy over to continue my mission on a laptop.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Do you mean halfway through a campaign?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
MVP-lite for on board graphics is a great idea. But I have two questions. 1) what will we miss in terms of picture quality and special effects. And 2) Lets say I reach half way into a mission. but I have to visit some family over the weekend. what would I need to copy over to continue my mission on a laptop.

Assuming that your install on a Desktop matches the install on your Laptop (while the laptop would be running the 'Lite' version, of course), so long as they are both using the same executable, you would just need to copy over the pilot file and campaign data save files, theINory.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Thanks and Sorry, I meant a campaign. I found the pilot file - C:\Games\FreeSpace2\data\players\single\inferno . But where is - "campaign data save files". I am playing "Artifice" currently.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I believe your pilot file contains your campaign progress.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

The *.pl2 is the pilot file. The corresponding *.cs2 is the campaign save file.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Why is this in the FSU forum?

I know most persons would prefer real textures compared to cell shaded. But would cell shaded textures be easier on Intel on board graphics on Lab top computers.?  Want to bring it back in the lite version.
would the lite version be an installer or a portable application ( a simple paste and run application)
Do you have a separate thread for updates on it?