Author Topic: MediaVPs 3.8 Discussion Thread  (Read 41667 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
MediaVPs 3.8 Discussion Thread
Discussion goes here.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Re: MediaVPs 3.8 Discussion Thread
Yay DL'ing. :)

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well, some small notes.

I thought the version scheme was changed from version numbers to years in 2014, because it is more independent from builds this way?

I actually dislike the inclusion of Voice Files in the general MVPs that replace retail ones and so replace voice files from another language release.
Such language specific files should be in a own optional VP, imo.

The inclusion of the 2_HUD can cause problems in the same way, too, because French and German FS2 has some different HUD gauges with own sizes and the Retail 2_ ones of them are actually not very good usuable by normal means, because there are several times larger than the english 2_ ones.

But apart from that, it was about time. Thank you for the effort :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 04:19:19 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Well you could've said that before release?

Shouldn't cause any new problems at least. The HUD never displayed things such as Abschüsse properly anyway.

Also, if we're already at that, I tried to get INF (and MVPs) to run on Diaspora (making it standalone), but it always crashed on the briefing screen due to interface tiles shipped with them, so the experiments failed. Not that it would be any sort of relevant though.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 04:39:02 pm by Nightmare »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Well you could've said that before release?

Shouldn't cause any new problems at least. The HUD never displayed things such as Abschüsse properly anyway.

Also, if we're already at that, I tried to get INF (and MVPs) to run on Diaspora (making it standalone), but it always crashed on the briefing screen due to interface tiles shipped with them, so the experiments failed. Not that it would be any sort of relevant though.

Well, at least the voice files are an old problem that was surely discussed in the MediaVP2014 years ago. So it is only a problem that is still present in the new version too... but well, i hoped that i do not have to write VP extracting manuals anymore, so that people are able to extract the german voice files to use them with MVPs  :D

And for the HUD thing, actually it would not be a problem if they would includes the 2_ hud from the english sparky_hi from the CDs too. Because in my DVD version, it is not only the kill gauge that is larger, the Radar goes over half my screen in this one.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 04:57:09 pm by Novachen »
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
(UT2004 Voice) D-D-D-Downloaded!

Effort is much appreciated.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Something strange is happening...I ran 2 mods with the new MVP update and I see 2 HUDs stuck close together in the cockpit. It is very disorienting...is there a way to fix that?

Update: here is a screen of the issue. I ran this on knossos as well. Apologies for the quality, took it from my mobile. I have no clue which key it is to take screens in-game

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 06:13:06 pm by CapellaGoBoom »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Mods may need to update their HUD table to ensure compatibility depending on how they implemented their own HUD upgrades.

Mods may need to update their HUD table to ensure compatibility depending on how they implemented their own HUD upgrades.

I see. Thanks for that

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
I thought the version scheme was changed from version numbers to years in 2014, because it is more independent from builds this way?
I believe this was changed because mods uploaded to Knossos are supposed to use semantic versioning.
Update: here is a screen of the issue. I ran this on knossos as well. Apologies for the quality, took it from my mobile. I have no clue which key it is to take screens in-game
Print Screen and the screenshot is saved in %appdata%\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\screenshots.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
MediaVPs switched to the "year" name scheme for the same reasons that mods may currently be having HUD issues. FSU cannot be responsible for maintaining backwards compatibility with every mod ever. We upgrade the core FS2 experience by releasing a standardized modpack that mods can add as a dependency. I know Knossos has an "allow new versions" options for dependencies. Mods should not use this for the MediaVPs. Knossos makes it very easy for a mod released in 2015 to always work because Knossos always has MediaVPs 2014 (3.7.2) available. Knossos also makes it very, very easy for mods to update and distribute. Any mod author can increase the mod version, switch to MediaVPs 3.8 and check for issues. Then fix anything and release the update.

Additionally, users really shouldn't be forcing mods to run on a newer version of the MediaVPs that they aren't designed for. Even more so, users should not be editing Knossos installations for force unsupported dependencies for mods. This can cause other issues down the line. Give mods a few days/weeks to update and include the new MediaVPs. I know PIe and I own many of the older mods on Knossos. We'll do what we can to update them as necessary.

FSU has switched back to the semantic versioning system because that just makes sense with Knossos and, in general, Knossos discourages players from arbitrarily updating mod.inis (mod.jsons) to the new MediaVps and then posting when things go wrong. (This resolves the whole reason we switched naming schemes in the first place.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 06:51:56 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
My game crashes if a Leviathan shows up.

It is reproduceable if i look at it in the Tech Room, too.

WARNING: "Not all subsystems in model "leviathan.pof" have a record in ships.tbl. This can cause game to crash.  List of subsystems not found from table is in log file.

Log file says this:

Subsystem 'armour01a' on ship leviathan.pof is not recognized as a common subsystem type
Subsystem 'armour02a' on ship leviathan.pof is not recognized as a common subsystem type
Subsystem 'armour03a' on ship leviathan.pof is not recognized as a common subsystem type
Subsystem 'armour04a' on ship leviathan.pof is not recognized as a common subsystem type
Subsystem 'armour05a' on ship leviathan.pof is not recognized as a common subsystem type
Subsystem 'armour06a' on ship leviathan.pof is not recognized as a common subsystem type
Subsystem 'armour07a' on ship leviathan.pof is not recognized as a common subsystem type

But even if i delete them from the mv_assets_t-shp.tbm the game still crashes.

Well i can not even load this one in POFCS2  :(
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:48:05 pm by Novachen »

Leviathan as well: Several of the LOD-subsystems have subsystem properties as well, should be removed.

turret03-destroyed of LOD1 should be named turret03b-destroyed.

Is the mass correct? It's lower than that of a Poseidon.

No Cross Sections from retail (whatever they are used for).

Something strange is happening...I ran 2 mods with the new MVP update and I see 2 HUDs stuck close together in the cockpit. It is very disorienting...is there a way to fix that?

It's a problem that will affect every mod that uses Axems HUD. I think it's good that it is part of the MVPs now, for it enhances all mods (including those which aren't updated anymore), but those that have this feature built-in are now in need of a update.

Code: [Select]
Subsystem turret01b in model leviathan.pof was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turret02b in model leviathan.pof was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turret03b in model leviathan.pof was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turret04b in model leviathan.pof was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turret05b in model leviathan.pof was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turret06b in model leviathan.pof was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turret07b in model leviathan.pof was not found in ships.tbl!
Subsystem turret08b in model leviathan.pof was not found in ships.tbl!
For Leviathan problematic are these subsystems.
In pcs clear properties for them.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Bah. Must've committed the wrong Levi data. I'll fix it this evening

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Quote from the final post in the HTL Leviathan Release Thread.
Debug builds have been complaining to me about subsystems on the model not being in the table.  At first I thought it had to do with the armour submodels, or a rogue subsystem entry in a arm or destroyed submodel.  When I looked a little deeper, I found that the lod1 turret submodels have subsystem, fov, and name data.  Is that supposed to be like that or is it an oversight?

[Edit]

That solved it.  I can speculate that Lod1 was previously lod0 of the original file and retained the submodel info from the turrets.  This should probably be fixed before the next MVP release.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I noticed few small things more.
Hippo has null MoI.
Nephilim still has offseted thruster.
Ptah has no Sensors subsystem but there is Communication_001 in the same place in model. Rename should fix this.
Isis -> detail1 -> Turret02b -> Turret01b-arm should be Turret02b-arm,
and in section Turrets - Turret01b should be deleted.
VAC5 has detail1 to 3 but they are not assigned in LOD.
Edjo has 4 lods but in table only 3 used.

Hippocrates is centered wrong. It also has a much higher mass than the retail one (unless the retail one was unbalanced). And it still has 3 damage tiles.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:15:37 am by Nightmare »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hipoo have damage tiles is not a bug.