Author Topic: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn: Stranded  (Read 74436 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn: Stranded
Also this is supposed to be a teaser, making us (even more) hungry for WoD2, not an in-depth analysis of those yet unreleased ships.

THEN WHY WERE THEY IN CLOSEUP!?

They should have been shown from a distance if you didn't want us looking at them in-depth!

I'm not even going to address Lorric's idea that basic cinematography is complex.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Lorric

Also this is supposed to be a teaser, making us (even more) hungry for WoD2, not an in-depth analysis of those yet unreleased ships.

THEN WHY WERE THEY IN CLOSEUP!?

They should have been shown from a distance if you didn't want us looking at them in-depth!

I'm not even going to address Lorric's idea that basic cinematography is complex.

You are missing my point. It is as Norbert said, You are looking at it wrong. The cutscene's purpose is to be a cutscene, not to show off the ships. If Spoon really wanted to show off the ships, he would have used Fred to create the scene, then perhaps had you dock with the Cyrvan ships so you could see them up close too, and play around with the ships in FRED.

If it was Battleaxes launching fighters and then packs of Aestivals came in through the starlancer and destroyed them, you wouldn't be complaining.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
YOU ASKED FOR THIS, SPOON
I sure did  :p
And I thank you for taking your time posting it  :)

I may have to retract the bug statement, as for some reason I never got the cracking effects. Not knowing at what level of damage they kick in that may not be a bug.
When you go below 25% hull (after the first repair) they should start popping up.
If the sexp's don't trigger on your end, then there isn't too much I can do on my end.
Reminds me of this one time, back in the day, during the WoD beta where one mission wouldn't proceed on AndrewofDoom's pc because for some unknown reason a set hull strength sexp didn't trigger. It worked for everyone else but not for him. Adding a redundant self destruct event made it work in the end. Freespace some times works in mysterious ways.

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
When you go below 25% hull (after the first repair) they should start popping up.
If the sexp's don't trigger on your end, then there isn't too much I can do on my end.

Not a bug then, I think I hit 34% at one point, but never 25%.

A Feddie Story

Offline Lorric

Not a bug then, I think I hit 34% at one point, but never 25%.

I saw at it once at 8%. I managed to survive at 8% for a little while too before I got blown away so I got a chance to get a good look. I actually quite liked it, and it saved me at the time as well, because I was being over aggressive and not noticing I was being torn up, so I broke away when the effect kicked in.

Offline cio

Here's my short review:

Spoiler:
The opening managed to impress me and was a little confusing at the same time, as I had no ideas how to deal with such opposition.
I really enjoyed the story (well written, despite several typos), and its characters, who are not happy-go-lucky gunslingers, but mature and realistic personalities (even though the romantic element starts a little to fast for my taste, but that's okay, given the overall length of this mini-campaign). The new headanis and effects like the breaking glass were awesome.

I found the mod rather linear, mostly you have to evade several capships ("i am too big to bother myself with you") that do not really take notice of you and are busy with jumping away. When I fought the zy ace for the first time, his wing got me down to 27%.. I had no idea I would have to fight the whole next mission with 27% that eventually became 1%, but that is rather my fault.

I got the "true ending" :), though I have no idea why.  :confused: In the  last mission, I had my argument with the zy ace, and it was a very short one, since I had a new and polished fighter with those heavenly missiles. When I started the mission from the tech room, I had to choose which wingman I wanted to rescue. I found these two final battle variants considerably more difficult.

The only thing that really bothered me was the mod's short length. Well done!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Thanks for the review  :)
Urutorahappī!!

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Alright, some important information first. For some dang reason, just before playing the last mission, my build threw and error saying unrecognized something or other and dropped the game. I was unable to reproduce it and I was not running debug at the time so no log, sorry. It's probably my fault. That said, it's important to note this, because imagine someone playing stranded without playing the last mission. It's a vague struggle to return home with two major characters. However, I was a bit lost to find the purpose or the drive behind the story. I knew spoon made good things and this seemed to fall a bit short.

HOWEVER, I DID get the last mission working and was able to play it before writing this review. It's amazing how a disposition can change so quickly. Spoon, this is great. You have character development on two major characters, from the player's perspective practically the only characters who exist in the universe, and you sicko you really did it, you made us choose between the two! That Xy ace makes his debut in the 11th hour of the campaign and at the same time he feels like he should be there. He is the object of vengeance and through the development of the character he kills, his importance is immediately placed. 

Lightning: "Breathe the vacuum you piece of ****", I have not heard such satisfying words while playing a game in awhile. (Can't breathe vacuum lolz u r dead  :lol:)

Admittedly when I jumped in, I expected some heavy pow to the bang squared, or some gameplay mechanics. Over time I got the idea, Stranded seems to be largely story driven, ala interactive movie style. The briefings follow that signature WOD character dialog driven style of story telling which, I must admit, I find more tolerable than the standard top down Admiral's lecture.

After the subspace incident and the player's character lightning is trying to find his bearings, getting basic sensor systems online, I was struck by the atmosphere of the campaign. That part really gave me a sense that you were, in fact, alone in space and having even basic functionality was a struggle. Well presented there.

Alright now for who I picked to live (or to die?). I had a suspicion that I was going to save whoever I chose to jump to, but I was not entirely sure that’s how it would play out. Given that logic the choice was simple: Silver! Hey humans before elves right? Sort of feels sticky since Slyphia basically devoted herself to saving both of us, but that’s how it is. Shoulda been a little more human. It’s also important to note that Silver’s “get the bastard” personality is hotter than Slyphia’s intelligent posturing. Smart people should know better than to get killed by Xy aces right? RIGHT?! Why did you make me kill one Spoon you’re so sick!

All in all, it was an entertaining campaign that I am glad to have played. There’s definite deliberation and passion behind the work here and it shows. 

P.S. Silverlightning, that’s just adorable.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
You can save both

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
It's hard not to save both.

A Feddie Story

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
Really? I must be amazing then.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Lorric

Tell me, when you met the Battleaxe and had to protect Silver, did you jump out at the earliest opportunity, or clear out the area? I think that's the trigger whether you walk the true ending path or not, if you jump out early no, if not, yes.

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
i hate **** like that btw. If the game orders me to warp out i warp the **** out.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
i hate **** like that btw. If the game orders me to warp out i warp the **** out.

I do the opposite. The only time it turned out badly was in STR

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

Dude. Your mission objective is to leave nobody who can track you and you leave somebody who can track you?

Reasonably sure it has to do with who does the most damage to Lizqo, though.

A Feddie Story

Offline Lorric

Dude. Your mission objective is to leave nobody who can track you and you leave somebody who can track you?

Reasonably sure it has to do with who does the most damage to Lizqo, though.

I would have thought it better to get out of there as quickly as possible before more enemies show up.

I don't think there was ever any jump point tracking in WoD, but even if there is, Nordera aren't going to be doing it.

The ace never showed up in the playthrough I did where I jumped out, that's why I think it's that opening battle, it was the only thing I did differently. I put it in my Stranded review and Spoon didn't contradict it. Of course, he hasn't confirmed it either.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Sweet, thanks for the review bigchunky  :)
Urutorahappī!!

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²

Tell me, when you met the Battleaxe and had to protect Silver, did you jump out at the earliest opportunity, or clear out the area? I think that's the trigger whether you walk the true ending path or not, if you jump out early no, if not, yes.

I tried to at first, but then I died, so when I restarted the mission I just left it alone.
BP Multi
The Antagonist

Offline Lorric

I tried to at first, but then I died, so when I restarted the mission I just left it alone.

That's the story of my first playthrough.

Try restarting the campaign and taking them out. Just put it on very easy if you can't get through on your chosen difficulty. And if you do try this, do tell if things change please...

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Just got around to playing this (Postgrad devours your life, who knew?!), and I have to say it was awesome. I got the true end first time around, and it's made me very much look forward to your remake of WoD. Keep up the great work Spoon :)

Minor grammar/spelling derps though, you should really get someone to read over and correct the dialogue scripts, just to enhance the feel even more.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp