Author Topic: Freespace2 Online Installer  (Read 63092 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: Freespace2 Online Installer
I am having the same problems as MarsNeedsWomen, and those files from Fringespace are not working for me.

Can you get to the files, or do they not show up?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Nyarly

• Generic basement-dweller
Oh yeah, I see the files.  In fact, the Freespace 2 file leads to the FS2 startup screen, but refuses to run (says it can't find the files for the game).

I dunno.  It was working on my desktop (albeit barely, and it was rather buggy), but now it's not. Now I gotta wait for FSOpen Installer to come back online.
Do not taunt Magic Boulder.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
To get retail running, you can try this, then when the Open Installer comes back online, follow the instructions for if you already have Retail installed:
EDIT: Try Nukelol.com's FS site if you want the retail discs. 
PS Just the FS2 - you want FSPort for FS1 & ST, and that can wait for the Installer.

what bums me out is that Disk 2 of FreeSpace2 has a scratch on the label side right where tango1_fs2.vp is so I'm screwed for installing it completely from disk.  I really hope this works.

I installed from the disk, but didn't install the act 1 command briefing animations because tango1_fs2.vp is inaccessible.  Running the installer over that install, we'll see what happens.  If screwed, I'll try a full install just on it's own into the default directory (I rarely use default recommendation).  Wish me luck.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Here, copy the contents of your bad FS2 disc (except tango1_fs2.vp) to a folder on the hard disc; then download tango1_fs2.vp from somewhere.  Put the downloaded tango1 in that folder.  Burn that folder to a CD.  I think that'll work.  (Some will say prolly not, but I think it will...)

How long should the "WORKING" marquee at the bottom be running back and forth until it's done working?

I'll try the individual file download from the retail thingy

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Working?  What program?  To post a screenshot, press your Print Screen key (at the top, above your left arrow key on the keyboard), then open paintbrush (start - run - type pbrush - hit enter), hit Edit - paste, then hit file save as, then change the type of file from windows bitmap to JPG, pick a name & folder where you want it (eg, desktop), then get an account at photobucket or imageshack (I usually use imageshack), then upload your file, and post it here.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
How long should the "WORKING" marquee at the bottom be running back and forth until it's done working?

I'll try the individual file download from the retail thingy

You're talking about the other Installer, and it will do it forever. Check the bottom of the log file, it'll say when it's done. I've got this bug fixed, just haven't had time to package the thing again and re-upload it.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Hey guys!

Trying out this thing and it seems to have completed everything, but when i try to run executables, any of them, they crash...

Now you'll all agree that I'm not the brightest bulb, but why is this happening?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Now you'll all agree that I'm not the brightest bulb, but why is this happening?

Because this thing's so far out-of-date it's sad.

Run this and it'll fix your install.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
The link at the top right?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
If it's out of date it shouldn't be stickied here really as that's just confusing.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

This download is taking so long is there a way to download it soon??

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
This download is taking so long is there a way to download it soon??

You shouldn't be using this one. You should be using this one.

Thats the online installer right? ya thats the one taking very long......

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Freespace2 Online Installer is not the FreeSpace Open Installer
BTW, didn't I say this was going to get confusing?  A long time ago?

Anyways, the first one, just installs FS2.  The second one install FS2 + the SCP + the cutscenes + the mods, etc.. all selectable.  Did your install ask if you wanted The FreeSpace Port, aka FSPort, installed?  If it did, then you got the right one.  At least, I think so.  @Turey: you didn't put FSPort on the FS2 Online Installer, did you?

okay okay ya......but i'm not sure if it asks for the port........ anyway! the link which turey gave what does it install?? just the FS2.....or the cutscenes,SCP .etc???

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Eh, the link to the correct one is in my siggy... which is also the one Turey would be giving you.  So if you used the one Turey gave you, you're all set.

i downloaded the link from the previvous reply in which turey replied saying :
You shouldn't be using this one. You should be using this one........i re checked the download it didn't ask anything about any ports.....

Oh dear, its saying that all download mirrors have faild.......i guess i can never re-download freespace 2...... :(