Author Topic: Nemesis?  (Read 32144 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
And FS2 too.

But I'm open to characters like Snipes and Bosch, if that's what you mean Mr. Mobius?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
But standards change with time! Seriously, do you expect future INF releases to maintain an outdated style? :nervous:

INFR1 was great because it featured a lot of completely new ship design, and that was an impressive achievement at that time. For a number of reasons, however, the team didn't go beyond Chapter 1 so we don't really know what would have happened next. Now, Inferno should keep its main characteristics, but it absolutely shouldn't replicate INFR1's errors, such as having a relatively poor plot and nonexistent characters.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
But I'm open to characters like Snipes and Bosch, if that's what you mean Mr. Mobius?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Any particular reason why I wasn't warned of Battuta's post before replying...?

Anyway, if you read my previous posts, you'd notice a clear reference to Snipes. :nod:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Whether INF will have a story with interesting characters or not is irrelevant; people will play Inferno regardless.  Whether the community approves of our style is their business, and we will of course take their considerations into account for future releases.  But Inferno will still be widely enjoyed despite all that's wrong with it.

Just for the record, we would love to have a fancy and memorable story with characters possessing complex psychological profiles.  But however, we have many factors why we just want to whitewash the most hackneyed story over our campaign; perhaps the main factor is TIME.  We do not have TIME, unless the Community votes unanimously to wait for another 20yrs+ for INF SCP to be released.  Personally that would break my heart.  Ergo, albeit our project will lack the bells and whistles when we release it (hopefully in the near future), we will nevertheless release it simply on the basis that the Inferno name is still good and thus people will still play it.  After that garners enough interest, we will add a more complex storyline and implement characters and get some voice acting done.

And personally speaking, we don't have many people dedicated on the team right now.  And most of all, we do not have people extremely talented in the field of humanities and the arts to write something like that.  Personally I would write it, but I'm a physician by trade (currently on sabbatical) and have zilch of a clue of how to write a convincing story.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'd offer to help, but I suspect that would end badly. And I don't currently have the time.

Funnily enough I did write a short story about the launch of the Nemesis, a long time ago...

EDIT: Found it.

Somebody else wrote a good one for the Icanus, too, but I don't remember enough to search for it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:53:44 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Darius did some pretty good INF fanfic, it's up (I think?) on the BP website.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Darius did some pretty good INF fanfic, it's up (I think?) on the BP website.
Yeah I liked that one.

Lots of Inferno fanfiction out there. I recall SadisticSid wrote some 'official' INF fiction.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Harder than attacking the Nemesis is defending it. Play the last mission of the fourth campaign that makes Sol: a History ('The Star that Failed') to know why.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
This is a question posed by the mission developers to our fanbase: "What should be the fate of the Nemesis?"

Please give your answer and an explanation of no more than five sentences.  We will implement the winning consensus into our upcoming release.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Destroyed by the Shivans. No other outcome is appropriate for a significant 'hero' warship in FreeSpace.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Destroyed by the Shivans. No other outcome is appropriate for a significant 'hero' warship in FreeSpace.

+1
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Side-by-side with the Independence, destroyed in a barrage of Shivan beam cannons.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
At least make the Nemesis' sacrifice meaningful. Doing it by the way of the Colossus is the worst possible method possible, and doing it by the way of the Yangtze, despite noble, is not logical.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
At least make the Nemesis' sacrifice meaningful. Doing it by the way of the Colossus is the worst possible method possible, and doing it by the way of the Yangtze, despite noble, is not logical.

um excuse me I don't think that this is very logical

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
After being irreparably damaged against a fight against Big Evil Shivan Juggernaut 4, pack it with Meson Bombs and make it explode in the middle of a Shivan fleet. Make the explosion pretty, with a never-before-seen, one-time special explosion effect.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Perhaps something more akin to the Pegasus from BSG (modern) in that it gives the Independance the opening it needs in the Shivan defenses to deal the death blow.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
This is a question posed by the mission developers to our fanbase: "What should be the fate of the Nemesis?"

Heavily damaged or destroyed buying time so that a nice 'gift' could be delivered to the main Shivan fleet or their main home systems.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I hope Inferno doesn't go the 'we can beat the Shivans now' route, just doesn't seem right for something that sticks so close to the original FS narrative ethos (albeit, so far, a lot skimpier)/

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
There are different levels of "beating the Shivans", and as the Nemesis is, well, a Nemesis rather than a ship the player has based off of or flown in support of...I personally think it ought to survive.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story