Author Topic: Diving into descent.  (Read 3503 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Where do you go to get all of your Descent mods?  It's been a while since I've done that.  Like for FS2 we have FSMods for most of our stuff.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
DMDB has just about everything, although it can be hard to figure out what's good there. The D2X-XL site has a list of what are probably the best level packs (under "singleplayer" on the side bar).

Among the classic campaigns, my favorites are Obsidian, Entropy 2 and Project Mandrill. Pretty much all the modern era stuff is also excellent; some that come to mind are Enemy Within, The Sphere, Pumo Mines and Boiling Point. Dimensional Intersect and Anthology are single levels that are bigger than some level packs. The modern, XL-specific stuff really takes the game to a different level in terms of level design and detail.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Sweet, thanks. :yes:

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I remember making levels but not great ones.  I made about 4 that were worth playing and a lot more that weren't.  One of those four is in that repository, but I can't remember what it's called.  Oh well, it was Descent 1 level.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Same here. I made at least 20 levels back in the day, although several were never finished and only three or four were any good. One is supposed to be in space (before FS came out) and has a bunch of enemy ships that strafe and move very quickly.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
What did you guys think of the D1 Levels of the world. 

I once tried to get through all of them on insane, and most of them were enjoyable.  There was one with a lot of helixes, and there was a trigger to get to the red key that I could never find.  I never looked in DMB because I wanted to find it honestly (but I obviously never succeded).

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think about a third of them are very good, and but there are quite a few mediocre or multiplayer-only ones. I put together a 40-odd level mission with what I thought were all the good singleplayer ones.

You're probably thinking of Corkscrew, which is probably the most complex level in that pack. D1 didn't have switches and only had pass-through triggers, so it can be hard to figure out what you're supposed to do. Some of my favorites are Gamefreak's Realm, Apple Pie, Operation Res-Q and Turncoat. The Cycloid is another good D1 level, which is not part of that collection but has a pretty unique design.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i used to make levels but i dont think ive ever made one that i was happy enough with to put online.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
just wait for Sol Contingency to come out. It's a remake of Descent.

http://preparefordescent.com/

EDIT: It's supposedly coming out this month.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:03:04 pm by FlamingMamba »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
just wait for Sol Contingency to come out. It's a remake of Descent.

http://preparefordescent.com/

EDIT: It's supposedly coming out this month.

FTFY (Don't put the entire URL in [yt][/yt] tags, just the video's tag [the part after v=], in this case, avPeGfIQnw0)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
^^ sex
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN