Poll

Which did -YOU- prefer blowing up capital ships with?

GTB Ursa
13 (50%)
GTB Zeus
1 (3.8%)
GTB Artemis D.H
0 (0%)
GVB Sekhmet
5 (19.2%)
GTB Medusa
2 (7.7%)
GVB Bahka
1 (3.8%)
GTB Boanerges
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Your favorite bomber  (Read 23587 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
How can it be an easter egg? When I see the term "Easter Egg," I usually see something like the Holy Hand Grenade on Fallout 2, or the Knights on Warcraft 3 answering the Bridgekeeper of Death's questions, not something completely stupid like defying the laws of physics by cramming high-yield warheads in a fighter that's all engine with wings.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
...Snail, you do realize that modern jetfighters, including the F/A-18, F-16, and F-22, are fully able to carry and deploy bombs, even up to nuclear ordnance, right?  Scale issues aside (and honestly, are any of the ordnance loads in either FS game truly realistic in terms of size?  Hell, just look at support ships, for instance), there's nothing at all to say that a "fighter" couldn't also serve as a bomber.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
In terms of the Freespace universe... are you ****ing kidding me?

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I agree with Mongoose; support ships for bombers are wayyy too small to carry 15+ helios for each Ursa.

Space Superiority Fighter... good at all things... like the F-16 MRF. Multi Role Figher (AKA Air Superiority Figher anyone?). It carries up to 2000lb JDAM bombs as well as anti-fighter missiles. It can do both... at the same time!

The Myrmidon is similiar; it can carry the ZOMG Helios as well as banks full of Tempests, Hornets, Rockeye, Tornado, Stiletto II, and a heck of alot of other stuff! It is the most flexible platform in the game...

A true easter-egg in freespace2 could have been (but isn't) in the first nebula mission, where Kappa wing spots a Volition Bravo and is destroyed or somethng... a bit more interesting, don't ya think? Mounting Helios on Myrmidon is not a easter-egg as it is such a flexible ship.

And who says an Ursa can't be a fighter? I did quite a bit of dogfighting in Slaying Ravana on Insane! The Ursa owned all the shivans! I beat the mission with 92% hull. Anyways... it would be interesting if a Myrmidon MkII or something was made, that features a top-side turret like a bomber has, bigger bays, and stronger shields. It'll be a uber-ship then... but oh well! :P
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
like the F-16 MRF. Multi Role Figher (AKA Air Superiority Figher anyone?). It carries up to 2000lb JDAM bombs as well as anti-fighter missiles.
Yes, but are JDAMs 42 feet long?
Largest free-fall bomb is the MOAB which is ten meters and used only on the C-130.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
It's still a damn-big bomb on a smaller fighter. I prefer the F-14D Tomcat because of the Phoenix missiles; 110nm range with a super-sonic top speed.

The point with the F16 is that it is a MRF, not a MRF/B or a MRB... last time I check, bombing something is still "fighting" it... not much different when you think of it. The only real differance is your ordinance is now huge and makes a pretty explosion! Remember, size doesn't really matter in space.

Space Superiority Fighter can still be considered a Multi Role Fighter... the Myrmidon can lob small missiles, antibomber missiles, antisubsystem missiles, and bombs. A F14 can lob sidewinders, AIM-9's, Phoenix, and drop bombs. The only differance is the antisubsystem missile of today is more like a sidewinder... heat-locking so it knocks out what it hits, not just destroys the fighter.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Fergus

...Snail, you do realize that modern jetfighters, including the F/A-18, F-16, and F-22, are fully able to carry and deploy bombs, even up to nuclear ordnance, right?  Scale issues aside (and honestly, are any of the ordnance loads in either FS game truly realistic in terms of size?  Hell, just look at support ships, for instance), there's nothing at all to say that a "fighter" couldn't also serve as a bomber.

That's still the ol apples and oranges argument, there could be issues of containment/protocol/who knows what.
Generic signature quote blabber

Offline ShivanSpS

anyway... i dont think is dev error, for just...

1) what dev going to put Helios in a fighter by mistake? come on...

2) If is a bug is too damn easy to find.

3) They dont fix it in 1.2 or tell anything in the web about that.

4) in PXO era everyone knows about "Myrmidons carrying Helios".

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
That's why it's an easter egg

Come on folks... the Myrmidon is all by itself... if there was another fighter that could carry bombs I'd believe you... but most bombers can't carry the Helios.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
HOLY CRAP

It's not supposed follow the laws of physics!! It's not supposed to be reasonable!! It's supposed to be funny!!! It's an EASTER EGG!! How many people here actually know what an easter egg (in gaming terms) is?

My God, someone lock this thread.

EDIT: sorry :nervous:

EDIT2: YAY!! locked! I win!!!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 08:06:11 pm by thesizzler »