Author Topic: Friggin Computer >_<  (Read 1224 times)

Friggin Computer >_<
Damnit, damnit, damnit...

Computer has to reformat, so, I wont on much, but, can you guys help me?

I recently flashed a new BIOS on my motherboard, 1011 for an ASUS Deluxe. Now, this didn't solve the compatability problem I was having, but it sures hell screwed up my configuration. It made my processor read as a 1500 XP instead of a 2100 XP. So, speed is downsized to 1.2 instead of a near 1.8.

Anyhow, I decided to just erase my computer, taking only what I needed off (Around 2 gigs, mind you) and after I erased my computer, and selected windows to be put in an "unpartitioned space" it would begin loading... but, this computer is a tricky one, and now it is sittng at 0% and laughing at me.

Im wodering if the BIOS has something to do with this, since it worked before but not now. I had tried creating a partitioned space and then loading it up, but no dice. I tried a quick format, both partitioned and unpartitioned, and still no dice. Quick Format brings it to 100% but says that it failed. Normal Format just sits there.

I think everyone at this board is smart, so, I just wanted to ask if you could help me. If not, I gotta pay to talk to a Microsoft Techie and ask what the hell is going on. And since I built my own computer it isnt going to be as easy since they didn't design it. Oh well...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Check in your BIOS settings, for adjusting the speed of your Ram/Busses etc, I had the same problem with my 1700XP when I first built it, you will probably find that the speed of the Bus is set to 100Mhz instead of 133Mhz.

Did you make a new partition using Partition Magic or the like?

I used the XP CD ROM to make a parition. just hit "C" and it will ask for the size of the hard drive, then you hit enter, it makes it, and you have partitioned space, and an 8 MB unpartitioned space which is there for a reason it stated but I cant recall.

Anyway, how do I do that first part?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I don't have the same board as you, but do the usual 'Delete' key during boot up and go to your BIOS settings, I'll just take a look at my own and see if I can find anything to help, brb :)

Yeah, I hit TAB and then hit DELETE and I enter the setup area. Now, how do I change that stuffidy stuff again? If this works,  you are a lifesaver...

I just bought Star Wars: KOTOR and the AvP2 Gold Edition. I WANT TO PLAY! Oh yeah, and I want my computer fixed so I can start working on all those projects... erm... yeah... ;)

EDIT: I checked my CPU External Frequency, and its at 133 MHz. Is that in relation with what we were talking about?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 10:04:03 am by 1718 »

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
On my own computer there is a menu in the BIOS set-up that says 'CPU PnP settings'. From there I can change the Bus speed settings. Basically, that's all I can tell you :( Maybe someone on here has a board the same board as yours and can give you some more help :)

For some reason I doubt it. Does anyone have a:

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe?

God I really want to get this fixed...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
If you have no luck here, try this place...

http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

:)

Thanks. I'll try it out.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
You could try enabling quick POST (power on self test)* - my machine used to have problems with the full-length test.

* I believe it is.  IIRc there is an option to turn on a quick test in the bios - or should be.

I think it was already on, because every time I started my machine it would say "System Completed Power On Self Test. Computer Now Booting from Operating System."

I recently turned that annoying voice off though. :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by .::Tin Can::.
For some reason I doubt it. Does anyone have a:

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe?

God I really want to get this fixed...

I know of at least two others apart from myself who have that board. It's a very popular board cause it was ranked top by several different sources for a fairly long time (Over 3 months is a long time for a motherboard to be that highly rated :D )

Once into the Bios choose advanced>Advanced Chipset Features > CPU External Freq.  

See what that is set to.

If that doesn't work what is your CPU Frequency Multiple set to?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by .::Tin Can::.
I think it was already on, because every time I started my machine it would say "System Completed Power On Self Test. Computer Now Booting from Operating System."

I recently turned that annoying voice off though. :D

Check for Quick POST- or even an option to turn it off. Standard POST would give me RAM speed and CPU speed misreads when it booted up.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I've got a A7N8X Deluxe and its a fantastic board.  One of the best designs I've worked with.

For starters, you may want to reapply the BIOS Flash. Things didn't seem to sound like they went very well for you.  Redo it if you can.

Secondly, you should solve that chip clocking issue.  You NEED to have that chip set at the correct frequency.  Anything outside of that (especially from the sounds of this case) and you risk system instability stemming from devices not being in-sync with each other (which may be the formatting and windows install problem).

Start with those two things and go from there.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Dont worry. Apparently it was detecting wrong, so I changed it to "Manual" instead of "Auto". This managed to change it back to its regular CPU. (133 MHz)

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I have that exact board. If you don't have it fixed yet, what you can do is open up your case, remove the battery from the mobo, then move the 'reset CMOS' jumper over for a few seconds. After that replace the battery and all the mobo settings should be back to default. :)
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Attention:

I have figured out the problem.

Bad Hard Drive
--------------
It will take me a couple of WEEKS before I get this sucker back up and running again. However, if the local electronics stores allow me to trade hardware, then I might be in luck.

I have an old K7N2-Delta motherboard I used for about 4 or 5 months, still good, and it cost me 100 bucks. I traded it out for my new one, and I gathered up all the stuff for it and now it rests in its case. If they let me trade THAT for a new hard drive, then I am all set.

As for the BIOS, I downgraded to a later version: from 1011 to 1008. 1008 is one BIOS version shorter than my retail BIOS, 1009.

So, anyone who asks me to do something for them in this time: Forget it. I have no money and no luck so far. But, this is just to inform you of my situation.