Author Topic: *Boot* Oy! Wake up!  (Read 30270 times)

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
I'll give a shot at it.

(or well, at least try)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma

It may be possible to relagate the Vesuvius somewhat so it doesn't appear as often in the game and use another model in its place.  CannonFodder is as much of a perfectionist as you are so the interface art and cutscenes may also not pose a problem since he may decide to sit down and rework everything yet again anyway :)
 I'll look into it. Have you got any other suggestions as to what you think would be better than the ships we currently use? I can't promise anything but I don't mind getting feedback.

We're actually using a lot of your mods :D We're using the Piranha, Njord, Gagana, Peregrine, Reshev, Firehawk, Valkyrie, Stentor and Vela in MG so as you can see you're basically an unoffical team member :D

We also supposedly are using the Claymore Mk 1 but it got missed off the tables and no one ever remembered to add it :D

We have noticed that before. Sooner or later one of us is going to have to remove that big sign off the side of the Vesuvius :D

Lemme think....
Gagana - either the Phoebus(CoW)  or the (very large) Holler (Reci).  Holler may need a bit of editing, though, it was setup so 2 secondary turrets were seperate subobjects*

Peregrine - probably the Berserker which was one of the older Reci mods, based off Boanerges concept art.  I unfortuantely don;t know where this is for DL, though. :(  Can;t find the old release thread.

Reshef - Either the anhur or Heset from Reci (Anhur is the better looking one, set as a bomber but can easily pass as a fighter)

Firehawk - if this is what I'm thinking off, anything atall is better than this one :D  Even one of the old-but-not-that-old ones like the Ymir.

Valkyrie - Aurora from CoW

Stentor - The Claymore (either the completed Reci one, or the new HTL one which only needs the dock path added and interface)

Vela - I remember releasing a superfreighter in a modeldump, which Woomeister converted. I think this - http://www.woomeister.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Demeter.zip - is it, but the image link above it in the post is broken, so not 100% sure :)

*the idea was to have a co-pilot type arrangement, where you'd use keypresses to tell the co-pilot to fire, or something.  Details escape me

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Okay. I'll look into it :) I think we might keep the reshef though as I love that fighter :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
the Vela too. We've already got it involved in a mission! :P
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Hey aldo, did you ever fix the transparency bit on the Orc?

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
To be honest I do not like the Vesuvius. I didn't like it mostly because of its freaky design.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Akalabeth Angel
Hey aldo, did you ever fix the transparency bit on the Orc?

Um... I'm not sure it is completely fixable, because of the rendering order FSO uses - but changing the girders map to a DDS / TGA with alpha transparency should help.  It was a code problem at the time, not a model problem - using true green transparency, the game never calculated what was visible through the green, so basically it was a 'hole' which you could see the background through - looked very odd.

Offline magatsu1

Originally posted by aldo_14

both.  Just, y'know, the general modelling, UV-ing, texturing, etc.  I'm a bit of a revisionist/perfectionist when it comes to these things.... I just don't like having these old crappy things floating around, because i'm not happy with them as a whole.  That's why i remade the Claymore 5 times (6 if you include the mk2).

It's kind of a facetitious/selfish thing - I don't want people to thing, for example, that the old Claymore or the Gryphon, or even the Daedelus is the best I can do.  Plus i thought it'd work better for you to have the newer models

I can appreciate that. Even if no-one else can see the little faults/imperfections it's frickin' embarising just knowing they are there.
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Super unoffical screenshot. Just for you to be happy.
I was testing the mission I am doing when I took this shot.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.