Author Topic: .vp file confusion  (Read 2813 times)

Offline jstroot

Hey all,

I have grabbed the code from CVS and successfully compiled on Ubuntu Dapper. I have the Free Space 2 disks, so I extracted the files from the cds themselves.

What I'm confused about, is what .mv files should I have to make all the graphics upgrades work?
One place says that for a cvs compile, I should use
mp-710_adveffects.vp 
mp-710_effects.vp  and
mp-710_models.vp .
But, should I also have
mv_core.vp
mv_textures.vp
mv_effects.vp
mv_models.vp
as well?

I've tried running the game with various configurations, as far as which .vp files are in my freespace2 directory, as well as options I pass to fs2_open_r.
My current command is
alias fs2='./fs2_open_r -spec -env -glow -mipmap -dualscanlines -targetinfo -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -alpha_env -jpgtga -pcx32'

I'd really like to see those pretty graphics running! So any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jstroot

« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 04:04:46 pm by jstroot »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
But, should I also have
mv_core.vp
mv_textures.vp
mv_effects.vp
mv_models.vp
as well?

Yes. The 710 files are patches for files in the standard media VPs that broke under the latest set of upgrades. But the 710 files didn't need to patch everything so they only give you a fraction of the files you actually need.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jstroot

Right on. Seems to be working.
Not sure what missions I should do to check out the improvements.

Also, where in the world do you get mods for this?

This site, Hades Combine, has the vast majority of campaigns and mods available from the "Downloads" section. The ones I'd recommend are as follows: Derelict, Inferno, Sync, Transcend, and Into the Depths of Hell chapters 1-4.

Read Karajorma's FAQ for full instructions on how to install them.

Oh, and of course,

:welcome:

:yes:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
My FAQ is rather Windows specific so the stuff on setting up a mod.ini won't apply to other platforms. What you can use in it's place is multimod though.

Instead of adding the names of the folders to the secondarylist you add them after the -mod option so if you're running derelict and the media vps instead of -mod derelict you have -mod derelict,mediavps.

That will probably make very little sense to you now but once you've actually installed a mod and figured out how to activate it, it will be a lot clearer :)

Offline jstroot

Thanks for the welcome Dark Hunter! I can't tell you how excited I was when I found out that one of my favorite games has been Open Sourced!!!!
At any rate, those links will probably help. I haven't seen them yet, so it's at lest some more information!

My FAQ is rather Windows specific so the stuff on setting up a mod.ini won't apply to other platforms. What you can use in it's place is multimod though.

Instead of adding the names of the folders to the secondarylist you add them after the -mod option so if you're running derelict and the media vps instead of -mod derelict you have -mod derelict,mediavps.

That will probably make very little sense to you now but once you've actually installed a mod and figured out how to activate it, it will be a lot clearer :)

I think I know what you mean. You're talking about the options you give the executable.

% fs2_open_r -mod derelict, [media vps]

Am I right?

At any rate, I won't beable to try the stuff out until tonight, so I'll post my progress then.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep that sounds about correct. Taylor made a post about Mac OS X here which even though you're on Linux probably explains things in a bit more detail than I did :)

Offline jstroot

Thanks for the link karajorma :yes: I'll check it out later.

Another off topic question,

What is the deal with the BattleStar Galactica Mod? Is it a mod, or does someone have the rights and are releasing it as a new game?
I've sifted through the posts, and found explanations that indicate both :confused:

Oh yeah. I couldn't help myself, so I created a digg to let more people know. Also posted about Free Space on the ubuntu forums.

Have a good one

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
BSG Beyond the Red Line is basically a mod but we're going to release it with all the files needed so that it will work as a stand-alone (i.e you won't need to have FS2 to play it).

That results in people refering to it as a mod and as a game. Personally I prefer to call it a stand alone total conversion when I'm explaining what it is :)

If you want to know more the BSG forum can be found over at Game-Warden.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Useful thread... I'll be installing FS2 on either Ubuntu or Debian any day now (when FedEx gives me my mobo). I really want to love Ubuntu, but they make it so hard to do anything admin-related... thanks Kara.