Author Topic: Mac graphical glitches (3.6.10)  (Read 2624 times)

Offline clay_9

Mac graphical glitches (3.6.10)
Hello all,
I've had some issues installing FS2 today, not least of which the launcher just wouldn't run, but anyway I've got that fixed now. But I'm having this horrible problem with coloured boxes appearing around models and sprites and such:
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2326/pic1jh.png
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5798/pic2p.png

Running FS2_Open-3.6.10 and set res via Launcher 3.1.3
Im on a 2.33 Ghz Intel with 4GB RAM on ATI X1600, running snow leopard 10.6.3.

I'm not currently running any mediavps other than MV_Core (still downloading, taking a loooong time), so is this likely to be fixed with the full set of vps?
Is there anything obvious that I've missed or a simple graphics variable I need to check off?

Help!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Mac graphical glitches (3.6.10)
Ah ignore my post in the other thread.  You may also try updating to 10.6.4, it supposedly fixes more OpenGL stuff but I'd get the 800MB combo updater as it's supposedly more reliable.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Ah ignore my post in the other thread.  You may also try updating to 10.6.4, it supposedly fixes more OpenGL stuff but I'd get the 800MB combo updater as it's supposedly more reliable.
Keep in mind that the 10.6.4 update supposedly had a negative affect on OpenGL performance when using an NVidia card (at least, according to Valve).  I've not confirmed this myself, nor have I heard anything more on it.

Post is here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1314406
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That's why I said to use the combo updater.  It was listed as a potential fix for the issue.  Apparently 10.6.4 isn't so much the problem as is how it installs itself as an incremental patch.  But that still may not fix it all the time.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline clay_9

Thankyou for your replies, sorry I've been slow to respond.

The replacement mediavps have fixed 95% of the problem, the big white outs are gone around the models now. Except for the small 'space dust' that flies past you quickly as you move, these are still small white squares with no shape or texture.

Although I've not yet had time to actually play into the game yet so I don't know if the problem is still going to be an issue with larger models.

I'm running OS X 10.6.3, I've heard bad things about .4 messing things up, steam games for example.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Disable motion debris should fix that one issue.  It's ugly anyway even when it works right.

Offline clay_9

Thanks, will do that.

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
That's why I said to use the combo updater.  It was listed as a potential fix for the issue.  Apparently 10.6.4 isn't so much the problem as is how it installs itself as an incremental patch.  But that still may not fix it all the time.
Ah, thanks chief, wasn't aware of that.

*reads*

Wow, is it just me, or is Apple sounding more and more like Microsoft?  Reinstall the OS as a fix?  Come one, a 'proper' *NIX system shouldn't need "fixes" like that.  No wonder the OpenBSD guys consider OS 10 inbred, sheesh.   :)
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."