Author Topic: I'm in your POF, fixing your polies.  (Read 16539 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I'm in your POF, fixing your polies.
So, I finally I got around to play this, and I must say I like it a lot... combat with ballistic primaries, no shields and primitive sensors is more fun that I would have thought ;)

What I like not so much is the fact that most of your models suffer from the limits of PCS back when your POFs were converted. Most models are completely smoothed (sucking up a lot of the geometry details), while some others are left completely faceted (Mustang Alpha&Beta). Then there are some models that have some serious errors in the vertex normals, resulting in really really weird lighting (Constellation and Pericles), and let's not even get started on the Atropos...

So i sat down and imported the Shrike into 3dsmax and gave it proper smooth groups, see below for results.

I also fixed some really ugly UV errors and geometry errors on LOD1, remade LOD2 completely, made better debris chunks and aligned the firing points correctly.

Click to download new POF.

Now, I'm toying with the idea of going through the TVWP ships and fixing some of the worst eyesores. But the question is, are you already working on upgrading your models (i.e. would I be doing redundant work) or would you be interested?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Re: I'm in your POF, fixing your polies.
Fantastic, thanks a lot! :cool: I'll let one of the higher ups make the call on using it but i imagine it'll be a yes. Certainly gets my seal of approval. :yes:

I havent heard of any existing work on fixing models (other than the Pericles, which i think someone decided to have a go at an HTL for, can't remember who though). If you wished too youd be most welcome i'm sure. The poor Kestrel especially needs a bit of TLC; it has a load of invisible faces on the cockpit and in the gap where the chassis meets the wings (i looks like a vertex normal problem causing the texture is rendering on the wrong side of the skin, but i might be wrong there).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 04:05:31 pm by T-Man »
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ooh, nice!  I think we could use this.  We're not actively working on the TVWP modpack right now (as opposed to the missions), but if someone dropped ready-made models in our lap we'd certainly use them. :)

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I still hope to get the upgraded Mustangs soon. I've just sent a message to the modeller who's supposedly working on them, requesting a status update.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Ok, then i think I'll do a few more upgrades.
The Kestrel cockpit is indeed weird... but I think it's related to the alpha channel of the map. Also most of the TGA shinemaps don't use the alpha channel properly, resulting in way to reflective ships if environmental mapping is enabled. This might also be a relic, since a few years back there was a change in FSO how it interprets the alpha channel of shinemaps.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Damocles cruiser:

Download POF

The original POF only had one path (for the docking point). I've taken the liberty of running it through the PCS2 path auto-generator, adding paths for all turrets/subsystems. This shouldn't create compatibility problems, unless you have some missions that specifically rely on the Damocles not having paths.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Very nice. :nod:

EDIT: The Damocles and Shrike are now in my local TVWP models vp.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It hardly matters, but the shield mesh for the Shrike isn't quite big enough.  The weapons pods extend slightly beyond the shield mesh, visible from front view.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
It hardly matters, but the shield mesh for the Shrike isn't quite big enough.  The weapons pods extend slightly beyond the shield mesh, visible from front view.

Well, i just imported the shield mesh from the original model, but since there are no shields in TVWP it really doesn't matter.

Next up is the Kestrel. The transparency issues stem from improper use of the alpha channel of the diffuse TGA map. Looking at the model... it uses 4 (!) separate maps. For efficiency's sake I'll have to merge them into one single map and re-UV the thing.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Shrike with insignia:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline -Norbert-

Just to make sure:
The files go into the <FS2>\<TVWP>\data\models folder right?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Just to make sure:
The files go into the <FS2>\<TVWP>\data\models folder right?

Yes.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
So I'm back from vacation and there's a new TVWP chapter, yay :) Time to finish a few things.

I've re-mapped the Kestrel to use only one texture. New glow/shine/normal maps in progress, also the LODs need some work, but it's getting there.

Offline -Norbert-

Just so I don't have any redundant files flying around in my data folder: Have any of those been put into the latest release?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Some, not all.

Col. Fishguts, this is very cool work you've been doing.  Would you like to join the TVWP team?  We have a couple of new users expressing interest, so maybe all you new folks might be able to revamp the TVWP and start working on future chapters. :)

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Please, do it. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

Goober, what do you think about finishing this model for TVWP? Moonred made it, it's better in every aspect than current Saggitarius. If you're interested, I can talk with Moon. I also sended a Reliant to him.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline -Norbert-

At first glace I though that was a bomber  :lol: Reminds me a bit of the Hazel from WoD... or more likely the other way round, since TVWP was released first.
Some, not all.
Care to elaborate a bit? Which ones are in, which ones aren't?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Goober, what do you think about finishing this model for TVWP? Moonred made it, it's better in every aspect than current Saggitarius. If you're interested, I can talk with Moon. I also sended a Reliant to him.
I'm handing off my TVWP project leader responsibilities now that Chapter 1 is out, so if you have a good idea and want to run with it, by all means have at it.  I don't think there's a formal project leader structure yet but T-Man is probably the closest to being a leader at this point.

If you want my personal opinion, the model does look very nice. :nod:

Care to elaborate a bit? Which ones are in, which ones aren't?
I don't actually know at this stage; I'd have to look at the file timestamps in the VP.  The best thing to do is probably to upload all of the TVWP data into an SVN respository somewhere, and then use that as a base for future TVWP development.  (See also comment above about project leadership.)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Col. Fishguts, this is very cool work you've been doing.  Would you like to join the TVWP team?  We have a couple of new users expressing interest, so maybe all you new folks might be able to revamp the TVWP and start working on future chapters. :)

Well, I'd like to polish up the graphical assets (POFs, textures), so yes I'd be interested in joining for that. I'm also interested to have a look at those unusable high-poly models you mentioned, maybe there's something salvageable....

I can't FRED for **** though, so when it comes to get future chapters started, I can't help in that department.... I only make things pretty ;)