Author Topic: Who watches the watchers?  (Read 9887 times)

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
Re: Who watches the watchers?
Call me a ****ty poster if you like, but S-99 clearly WAS NOT. His point was OBVIOUSLY THE SAME AS AKALABETH'S, SO THERE'S NO POINT IN CALLING HIM A ****TY POSTER.

Look, I don't want to turn this into a massive flaming thread, but you don't seem to be cooperating.
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Hahaha this is awesome I can see like 40% of the posts in this thread.

Anyway, I assume this is complaining about threads getting split locked out of the big interview thread. Locking is generally a bit much but splits are cool as far as I'm concerned. If Akalabeth is worried about getting his own thread, it was left open for him to reply as much as he liked until someone else locked it out of the blue.

Debate is cool, but when people start making things up and tossing about wild accusations just to stir up ****, it's pretty obviously trolling, and that's what mods are here to prevent. S-99 and Marcov were both just ****ty posters. Akalabeth is generally able to string sentences together and had every right to keep posting in spite of his bizarre reading of the paragraphs meant to prevent mod politics from turning up, so I don't know why his thread was locked.

It occurs to me that a Global Mod probably shouldn't have a set of people on ignore.  Context, and all that.

EDIT: Oh hey Marcov, he can't hear you.  Yelling doesn't help.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Possibly, but it doesn't seem to have done any harm - the issues here are Flipside's decision to start splitting and locking the bad posts out of that thread and Mongoose's decision to lock another split thread. I don't have much to contribute.

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
EDIT: Oh hey Marcov, he can't hear you.  Yelling doesn't help.

You ALSO don't seem to be cooperating.

Possibly, but it doesn't seem to have done any harm - the issues here are Flipside's decision to start splitting and locking the bad posts out of that thread and Mongoose's decision to lock another split thread. I don't have much to contribute.

Your posts, plus the splitlocking of Flipside and Mongoose, contribute to the thread here. In fact, your posts are the backbone of why this is here anyway.
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Nuclear1

Debate is cool, but when people start making things up and tossing about wild accusations just to stir up ****, it's pretty obviously trolling, and that's what mods are here to prevent. S-99 and Marcov were both just ****ty posters.

Sometimes people just don't understand, or there's a different interpretation.  From what I read, that was the case with Marcov and Alkabeth at least.  I don't think anyone was intentionally trying to stir up the pot. 

It's springtime at HLP...raegjuices are flowing.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
First of all, Battuta, if you have people on "ignore", it sort of defeats the purpose of being a moderator. Second, your behaviour in that thread was not what I would call "exemplary".

Noone came out of that thread all shiny, least of all you.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
And your flippant dismissals continue to do you no credit, Batts.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I don't understand what there's still to talk about in that AT LAST THE TRUTH thread, to be honest...
Everything that needs to be said has been said.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Debate is cool, but when people start making things up and tossing about wild accusations just to stir up ****, it's pretty obviously trolling, and that's what mods are here to prevent. S-99 and Marcov were both just ****ty posters. Akalabeth is generally able to string sentences together and had every right to keep posting in spite of his bizarre reading of the paragraphs meant to prevent mod politics from turning up, so I don't know why his thread was locked.

Do you reall ythink calling people "****ty posters" helps the situation at all? :rolleyes:

Here's my take on the whole thing, for what it's worth.

This thread, I knew was coming. As soon as that interview thread got split for a third time (AFAIK, a record), I suspected we'd have some annoyed posters. And I'm not sure I entirely disagree with the sentiment. There ought to be restraint showed by mods, and there definitely ought to be real thought before using any mod powers on a debate which the mod in question is actively involved in. In fairness, I think Batt only did this once, but I also think his posts in the thread were among the most inflammatory. I personally disagree that most of what was split out was trollish, but I'll accept a degree of interpretation in what is a subjective term.

Now, for my own part, I left the thread more or less alone, with the exception of moving it back to Interviews after the third split (hoping that it would go back to being quiet, but it was locked before it had a chance to). The reason for that was that I personally have an aversion to moderating other moderators, but honestly, there were posts by both Battuta and Mongoose that they should have been called on (the others, I'm not going to comment on, except to say that I think it's appropriate to hold mods to a higher standard). As I said, in the past, I've not liked moderating other mods (that's always seemed to be something admins are for) but I think in future that may have to change, for my part at least. Granted, there's not much I or anyone else can actually do that the other one can't undo, but maybe it'll mean something. We'll see. Or hell, better yet, not have to see - this could all have been avoided if people would stop and think before they post. As a general rule, IMO, if you're telling someone to shut up, or that they're stupid/moronic whatever, you're probably making a bad post.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

And that strikes me as fairly wrong and somewhat abusive and negligent.

And while people may be people regardless of their Position and as such will have their behaviours and beliefs and preferences to match, there comes a time when you DO have to separate those from your responsibilities and to take a step back or walk away. You are being less and less help in moderating situations when you seem to decide it's "funneh" to throw gasoline on a situation.

In any case, something has to be going on where you may want to consider taking a break, take a step back and re-evaluate what you are doing and how you are doing it when it comes to how you handle your responsibilities, because it quite honestly doesn't look to me like you are in the least. And if you want to ignore me saying it, take a closer look at the fact that others have been trying to tell you for a while now. If you want to persist that we are ALL wrong, then I don't honestly know what to say.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:30:35 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

I'm sorry, but when the first response to my post in that thread is "Jesus Christ what is wrong these people" I consider that "stirring **** up" as you call it. I offer an opinion, you react as though I'm a lunatic and the discussion degrades from there.

As for mod politics having no bearing on that thread, I consider that a point very much in contention considering that your preface to the interview seeks to validate creative choices in mods you are yourself involved in, specifically Blue Planet. Validation and "Legitimacy" which quite frankly was never required in the first place (and is not expressly stated by the interviewed individual either). As I said, if this is a journalistic piece the interview should've been offered up free of opinion and thereafter discussed at liesure by all the community with respect and consideration by all contributors.

The fact is unless you have more information from that interview than you've chosen to reveal, then your interpretation of what was said is no more valid than any other responder in that thread. Telling Titan that he's wrong, or telling Mobius who cares, or telling Luis Dais to not fill the thread up with his meaningless opinion is both baseless and uneccesary.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:37:56 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
For that matter, why has half this thread not been banhammered for incredibly inflammatory content? We are supposedly operating on zero tolerance.

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuclear1

For that matter, why has half this thread not been banhammered for incredibly inflammatory content? We are supposedly operating on zero tolerance.
Don't tempt fate...
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Don't tempt fate...

I'm fine with getting the hammer for myself as long as we get the zero tolerance thing either actually carried out or announced to be now-discarded. Pretending Karaj never announced it as is currently ongoing here only cheapens the apparent powers of the administration to control their own board and adds fuel to the fires.

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuclear1

It's alright, six days until Epic HLP Silly Day™, hopefully we can get a lot of our steam out for the summer.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Nah, we don't do April Fool's anymore, remember?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Nuclear1

Offline Qent

Could Battuta please just be nicer with his replies and more patient with those of us less intelligent than they? More "godlike" if that imagery helps at all. What happened to Oldttuta? :(

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Okay, let's see if I can manage to hit a few points at once here...

Then I start doing some minor reason of how the splitlocking should be done; why don't the moderators just transfer these posts to the "FreeSpace Open Trailer" thread instead? After all, it's, to say the least, ontopic to the said thread. But apparently Mongoose couldn't take me too seriously (explanation please) and did a "Shut-Up" comment. So, to elaborate more, I posted again, and eventually ended up getting splitlocked again (!). I confess, I rather view these "Shut-Up" posts pretty irritating, and somehow a form of minor flaming (heck, GB actually did a lot of flaming there), so that's why I want an explanation, whether Mongoose didn't take me seriously or simply didn't want me to reply at all anymore to the thread, for some reason I don't know.
Marcov...you posted the same exact inane statement twice on the same page.  That was after a chain of people spamming quotes from the FS1 intro, and immediately after I told said people, and everyone else, to keep the spam out of that thread.  You proceeded to completely ignore my statement, and chose to post something that made absolutely no sense either time you posted it.  (Really, would you like to explain to me in what universe a few spam posts would be "on-topic" for a thread about a fan-created cutscene?  I'd love to hear it.)  Since you apparently couldn't take the fairly-obvious hint, I decided to make it even more obvious with a direct "Shut up."  The next step was recommending some level of time-out to one of the admins.

In other words, what I said had nothing to do with what you posted earlier in the thread, my opinion of said posts aside.  It had everything to do with you continuing to post glorified spam after a moderator warning to not do so.  Oh, and please keep in mind that telling the mods exactly when and how they should be doing their jobs (with the exception of a thread like this, which is about a larger issue) is a very bad idea no matter what forum you're on.  I hope this is all clear enough to you.

Battuta, if you really can't see why I chose to lock a split thread that was essentially you and Akalabeth flaming each other to pieces, I have to question your competence to wear that Global Moderator badge.  That was Mod 101 right there.  You were pretty much the person who created that situation in the first place, so I did what was in my power to bring it to an end.  As I noted in the thread, that was only half-effective, seeing as how you were obviously still able to post there, but it was the best I could do.

Also, as others have noted, the fact that you as a Global Moderator are using the "Ignore User" feature is troubling at best, and utterly asinine at worse.  You're undermining your ability to do your job properly.  Hell, I don't know why we have that ****ing awful feature enabled in the first place, as it does nothing but make whole chunks of threads utterly unreadable to people who choose to use it.

And more in general, if you can honestly claim you don't see what all this fuss is about, I think you need to take a good hard look at your behavior fairly recently, especially in that thread.  You snapped at several people out of nowhere, over posts that should at worst have been ignored.  That isn't proper behavior for a moderator anywhere, least of all in a thread that he himself created.

Finally, Black Wolf, I hope what I said to Marcov helps to clear things up on my end.  I saw Marcov ignoring a moderator's request immediately after it was made, and I responded in turn.  That was pretty much it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 12:49:57 am by Mongoose »

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Could Battuta please just be nicer with his replies and more patient with those of us less intelligent than they? More "godlike" if that imagery helps at all. What happened to Oldttuta? :(
Oldttuta died with that epic misogyny thread cluster****. [REDACTED for avoiding flamefests]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:22:14 am by redsniper »
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."