Author Topic: Who watches the watchers?  (Read 9888 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: Who watches the watchers?
Could Battuta please just be nicer with his replies and more patient with those of us less intelligent than they? More "godlike" if that imagery helps at all. What happened to Oldttuta? :(
redacted post

Uhm. I'm not sure a post like this is exactly constructive or helping this situation at all in any way shape or form, could we perhaps refrain from doing something like this in the here and now please?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:27:07 am by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Nuclear1

I'm officially prescribing these for everyone here:

Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Actually, that's a good point. Post redacted for chillness.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
For that matter, why has half this thread not been banhammered for incredibly inflammatory content? We are supposedly operating on zero tolerance.

We indeed are. And I've already booted this upstairs to the other admins to decide exactly who is getting hammered and why.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
Quote from: Mongoose
*snip

Maybe you have me there...it was more of a "LOLZ we can actually do this" comment anyway. Sorry.
But please be more tactful next time.

I think we have the general intent clearly shown now.
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

S-99 and Marcov were both just ****ty posters.

Quote from: karajorma
If you're going to insult other members of the board you'll soon find yourself unable to post in public.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I also said in the past that people who try telling the admins how to do their job will also find themselves in trouble.

Which is why I didn't tell anyone anything. Nevertheless you have a fair point, and I apologize if my post was out of line. I just really don't want to see this incident establishing a precedent of disciplinary immunity. I meant no disrespect to the HLP Admins.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
My point was it should have been obvious that I was well aware of what was said in this thread since I'd already booted the question upstairs and I think it can also be assumed that I would have remembered what I said in a board-wide announcement from only a week ago. So the implication left is that you were trying to tell me how to do my job.

And as I mentioned in my post, I've already pointed out that there can be severe consequences for doing that and getting it wrong. We've had too many people back seat moderating with InB4Lock comments, etc. If you start posting "Ban this user" or "Lock this thread" and none of the admins or mods agree with you then you're basically spamming the thread. Which puts you in danger instead. And even if you're right you've still added nothing to the discussion.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's saddening in a way, a thread that was posted with the best of intentions has been the cause of more Drama than I've seen on HLP for a fair while. I know it's Spring and this is normal, but it would be nice to think that we could manage to interview one of the original Freespace team without embarassing ourselves.

Wait.

Is it normal that everyone goes uncharacteristically mad around spring?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's a trend I've drawn attention to before, don't know if it's a mating season thing or something, but yes, HLP does tend to get much more argumentative and confrontational about this time every year.

Offline Luis Dias

Ok, I wasn't going to post anything here, but having seen the latest three pages I have to state something that is crossing my mind.

Regardless of Battuta's attitude in that thread (which I didn't like as well, but understood GB at an emotional level), what I find in this thread is much worse than there.

In here, I see mods and old timers flaming Battuta's actions for everyone else to see, when this should be clearly done indoors and in PM fashion. You know, don't clean up the mess in front of everyone.

In here, I see enraged people that are trying to take some kind of revenge from GB's demeanour. There is a mod button for that, you know "Report to moderator", at the right bottom. In my experience, if you click in it in the relevant thread and argue your point with a moderator, privately and discreetly you'll get your point accross and even perhaps something will be done about it. You know, ****ing decently.

In here, I see a moderator proudly announcing he's incapable of moderating at least 40% of the current commenters in this thread alone. And laughing it up. (Am I one of the lucky ones?)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Quote from: Me from the first page
If there were problems beyond that split, then there are ways to raise those concerns, the report button, or PMing the person involved, or even an Admin etc.

These options are still open, but when a single thread splits off into multiple threads, multiple arguments and a whole load of bad blood. Something is wrong.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
In here, I see mods and old timers flaming Battuta's actions for everyone else to see, when this should be clearly done indoors and in PM fashion. You know, don't clean up the mess in front of everyone.

And right here, you are making an assumption that such action hadn't already been taken.

In here, I see a moderator proudly announcing he's incapable of moderating at least 40% of the current commenters in this thread alone. And laughing it up. (Am I one of the lucky ones?)

And that part right there may not have become common knowledge if not for the lulz'ing it up way in which it was presented, and is a significant cause for concern no matter the method of it's coming to light.

These options are still open, but when a single thread splits off into multiple threads, multiple arguments and a whole load of bad blood. Something is wrong.

Emphasis mine.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Luis Dias

And right here, you are making an assumption that such action hadn't already been taken.

No, just sad that it *also* took place "outdoors". No big deal, we are all humans and I think it'll be easy to get over with.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
It's a trend I've drawn attention to before, don't know if it's a mating season thing or something, but yes, HLP does tend to get much more argumentative and confrontational about this time every year.

I generally noticed this trend in RL oftentimes. Definately a hormone thing.

In here, I see enraged people that are trying to take some kind of revenge from GB's demeanour. There is a mod button for that, you know "Report to moderator", at the right bottom. In my experience, if you click in it in the relevant thread and argue your point with a moderator, privately and discreetly you'll get your point accross and even perhaps something will be done about it. You know, ****ing decently.

As I understand it that report to moderator button reports the post to ALL mods and admins, not just one. Could be wrong though.

"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Shade

More or less, yes. It reports the post to all admins, all global mods, and whichever people might be mods in the forum where the offending post resides.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.