Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 425129 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.14.3 (combined launcher/installer)
Is there a way for me to remove two of my "old" mods from Nebula?

I discontinued support for the individual releases Hellgate: Ikeya (Memories of the Great War 2) and Light of Antares (Memories of the Great War 3) some time ago*, and now the downloads via Knossos won't even work because of changes to the MVPs post 4.1+. Ultimately, its a problem with the mod.jsons**, but as even I can no longer re-download the campaigns I probably can't fix the issue ATM.

* tl;dr - I always wanted them to be folded into a combined release with the updated Rain on Ribos IV and Vega Must Burn, after those are finished. Since the individual releases I also applied balanced changes that came from the development of the other two campaigns - because they are good changes - which made support to two different builds of the same content too much to handle.

** One of the dependencies to the MVPs is not correctly version-locked, I don't know which one without re-downloading the mods myself.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

You could ping ngld on Discord too.

Out of curiosity, what is the Hard Light discord invite link?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Out of curiosity, what is the Hard Light discord invite link?

Top-left of the site, use the upper of the two navbars (not the one that starts with "Home"; the one that starts with "HLP Network", above it) , hit the drop-down "HLP" then select "HLP on Discord".

EDIT: Just realized you might want the link to share, not use.  If so, here it is: https://discord.gg/YNVP3WR

Offline Iido

My Knossos isn't launching all of a sudden. I've reinstalled the program, rebooted my PC, no luck... when I click the program, nothing happens. No error messages, nothing even shows up in Task Manager as far as I can tell. It's just totally broken for me.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Win10:  Knossos logs are stored in %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\knossos so please open an Explorer window to that location and check for log.txt

Offline Iido

log.txt just says

INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: Running Knossos 0.14.3 on PyQt5 and Python 3.6.8 (tags/v3.6.8:3c6b436a57, Dec 23 2018, 23:31:17) [MSC v.1916 32 bit (Intel)].
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.0.2q  20 Nov 2018

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Try launching with admin rights or checking if your antivirus doesn't interfere.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Iido

Still nothing. I had already tried launching as admin, and I've confirmed neither Malwarebytes or Windows Defender are blocking the program.

I always get the rare technical issues no one else has, it seems. :/

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Still nothing. I had already tried launching as admin, and I've confirmed neither Malwarebytes or Windows Defender are blocking the program.

I always get the rare technical issues no one else has, it seems. :/
This may not help, but try installing the most current version of the Microsoft Visual C++ libraries. Some programs need those libraries in order to run properly. If you have a 64-bit OS, you can (and probably should) install both the x86 and x64 versions.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Mito [PL]

I think there were instances where AV software blocked Knossos/FSO without reporting it at all.

Also, what if you went to %appdata% and deleted or moved the knossos folder out of there?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Iido

Thank you Mito, that fixed it! Deleted the Knossos folder out of %appdata% and ran Knossos again, now it works fine.

Offline Mito [PL]

Yeah, that means some config file had an error in it that Knossos constantly kept tripping on and falling on its face.

Have fun!
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Glad to see the site back online.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

Agreed.  Curious I didn't have to log back in though.  :shrug:

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy

Agreed.  Curious I didn't have to log back in though.  :shrug:

They were able to recover the old drive so I assume they were able to recover any relevant cookie crypto keys as well, keeping them from being invalidated.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Iido

I've got another problem that I've been completely unable to solve the past few days. I think the previous fix may have deleted all my pilot data or something, because I found that none of my save files existed anymore. I then found out that there was like, 50-60GB being eaten up on my PC from old MediaVPS versions, which I didn't know were all being saved separately. So since I lost all my files, I basically decided to start fresh and delete everything, reinstalling Knossos. However, no mods will launch now. If I click "play" on a mod, it says it was last played "a few seconds ago" and it appears to try to load for about 1/10th of a second, then stops. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Knossos, tried installing it to a different folder, etc and nothing is fixing this. "Retail FS2" won't work, either, and presently it is all I have installed on Knossos. Is there some sneaky little leftover file from the old Knossos that's messing everything up or something?

Sorry for all the trouble guys.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
I've got another problem that I've been completely unable to solve the past few days. I think the previous fix may have deleted all my pilot data or something, because I found that none of my save files existed anymore. I then found out that there was like, 50-60GB being eaten up on my PC from old MediaVPS versions, which I didn't know were all being saved separately. So since I lost all my files, I basically decided to start fresh and delete everything, reinstalling Knossos. However, no mods will launch now. If I click "play" on a mod, it says it was last played "a few seconds ago" and it appears to try to load for about 1/10th of a second, then stops. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Knossos, tried installing it to a different folder, etc and nothing is fixing this. "Retail FS2" won't work, either, and presently it is all I have installed on Knossos. Is there some sneaky little leftover file from the old Knossos that's messing everything up or something?
Hmm, there's a known issue that uninstalling Knossos doesn't remove Knossos settings/cache folders, even if you check the "Remove Settings" box when uninstalling. I'm working on a fix.

Can you try manually removing the folders by following the instructions in this post and this other post from a different thread?

Sorry for all the trouble guys.
No problem; we're here to help. :)

Offline Iido

Nope, still no luck. Deleted folders in both Appdata and LocalAppdata folders, after which I uninstalled and reinstalled Knossos again just to be safe.

Also, I can't seem to actually save any settings in Knossos, if that's indication of anything. If I leave the settings menu and come back, it's all reset (global flags 'n stuff like that). Also, I can't do anything with the "Video" settings; I can set the bit depth and filtering, but not resolution, and I think these reset on leaving too.. and yes, I am clicking "save", though only the global flag default things seem to have a save option. Those still don't save.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Pilot data and save games are stored in %appdata%\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen, along with basic FSO config (graphics/audio/etc.) and some graphics data and logs.

The%appdata%\knossos folder stores Knossos preferences and the "Global Flags" section of Knossos's options screen, as well as a cache of the metadata for the mods that appear on the "Explore" tab.

The %localappdata%\Knossos folder is for a cache created by Qt, the GUI technology that powers Knossos, for its own use. Knossos doesn't access that data directly AFAIK.

And then the Knossos library folder (by default C:\Games\FreeSpaceOpen) are for the FSO builds you have installed and also the game data (missions, artwork, etc.) from FS2 and all of the mods/TCs that you have installed.

Can you try first uninstalling Knossos, then deleting all four of those folders, then re-downloading the Knossos installer and installing that?

Admittedly, if Knossos worked fine from the installer you downloaded before, it's really unlikely that your installer is bad, but let's cover all our bases.