Author Topic: Solaris (A FreeSpace Open Total Conversion)  (Read 84298 times)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Re: Solaris (A FreeSpace Open Total Conversion)
I'm having two issues: 1) missing text because, I suspect, I have an old computer that doesn't have whatever modern font the newer Freespace mods use; and 2) the Intro cutscene voiceover and music audio stutters every second or so where the sound(s) freeze for an instant every second.

How to fix these?

Bug log here: https://fsnebula.org/log/5ea12df3cb0d3321b1c98633
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 12:56:23 am by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Code: [Select]
LUA ERROR: [string "partCol-sct.tbm - On Mission Start"]:12: attempt to index field 'particleCollider' (a nil value)

------------------------------------------------------------------
ADE Debug:

stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[string "partCol-sct.tbm - On Mission Start"]:12: in main chunk

Running Solaris on Ubuntu 20.04 with Knossos 0.13.3 showing this error right at the start. Ideas?

https://fsnebula.org/log/5ef38de0cb0d3321aec98648

Now on Knossos 0.14.1 stable. Ideas?

THX

Offline Darius

Is this also on linux? It sounds like the same thing you were getting on 0.13.3. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot on other platforms since I test exclusively on windows, so you may need to wait until someone else experienced in linux comes along to help.

Can you try in windows and see if you get the same error?

Nope, no Windows here, its on Ubuntu 20.04 64bit

Its me again. Running it on Knossos 0.14.1 with the Nightly dated May 14th 2020:

https://fsnebula.org/log/5f0c48ff1fa438536f5a55f8

Ideas?

THX

Hey man, I really love the expansiveness of the setting and the work put into the world! I love the realistic-esque space physics and the design of the ships, though I really wish fighters had access to missiles and things like that in their secondaries. It makes huge fights like Mission 9 really difficult when it comes to taking out mass drivers and subsystems. I've had to retry several times because the Osiris and the Longfield keep getting wrecked by the Vindicator's mass drivers too quickly, and the AI is unable to effectively take anything out on capital ships because most of the fighters only have autocannons.

Offline Wombat

I run Gentoo and have found there are 2 ways to get past the "partCol-sct.tbm - On Mission Start" error.

The problem occurs because particleCollider is stored in the Globals table and zLoadFirst-sct.tbm is loaded last and it reinitialises the Globals table and so when On Mission Start is executed particleCollider no longer exists in the Globals table and you get the referencing a nil value error. The 2nd option below should overcome this.

1. Rename partCol-sct.tbm to something like partCol-sct.tbm.old. This definitely works for me.
OR
2. Edit partCol-sct.tbm. Replace the $On Mission Start section with the following
Code: [Select]
$On Mission Start:
[
    if not Globals.particleCollider then
      Globals.particleCollider = ParticleCollider()
    end
    Globals.particleCollider:onMissionStart()
]
I have played halfway through the campaign and I have not had any problems yet.

Cannot find Solaris anymore on Knossos? What happened?

It doesnt show up in Knossos...

You don't need Knossos to run it though, just grab the files from the link and the recent most build from the Nightly board.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Was going to say it still shows up in knossos for me.

Also Darius is there like a system map for fredders to use for their own campaigns. As I want to try and make a small one with the commonwealth but not sure on its size, home system, neighbouring systems etc.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Weird. It doesnt show up in Knossos 0.14.1, now I compiled 0.14.2-dev (latest pull from yesterday), now it shows up, plus some other mods as well.

I'm finding it impossible to complete mission 8 (Escalation), where you fly a stealth fighter and need to take out the capital ships point defense turrets to enable a nuclear strike. I have done this a few times and it always ends with the nuclear strike failing, the nukes vanish in thin air without any contact. I even tried to take out all the unmarked CIWS and it did not make any change at all. Any clue what's going on or how I can debug it?

I'm running with Wombat's fix for the lua script on Linux. Tried a few nightlys and 19.0.

Offline Darius

What a bizzare error. Do the nukes end up launching? Does the carrier also launch a wing of nuke bombers as backup, and do their nukes work?

What a bizzare error. Do the nukes end up launching? Does the carrier also launch a wing of nuke bombers as backup, and do their nukes work?

Nukes are launched (once) but disappear without doing any damage, a couple times they were just headed into empty space and they went away.  The bombers (Pi Wing?) are launched but end up just sticking around behind the carrier doing nothing, I can't command them from the coms menu either.

Ended up skipping it for now, got to the last mission, mission 10, and died due to the unknown ship warping out on me (bit slow on the scan) decided to start from the checkpoint and it just throws me into the end briefing with no text and the campaign is over. Guess I'll have to play it from the simulator :')

Edit: Checkpoint in mission 10 works once I got to the rendezvous point.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 06:39:18 am by krunaldo »

Offline Wombat

I just replayed mission 8 on easy to see if the same thing was happening for me.

I used FSO 20.1.0-20200610.

I destroyed 4 ciws on the topside of the Vindicator and the nuclear silo. The missiles were definitely impacting the dreadnaught.

I had completed the campaign and did not notice anything unusual. Though I have noticed that heat seekers eg rockeyes and stillettos seem to behave differently with either the latest nightly builds 20200804 and onwards or mvps 4.3.1.

Offline Darius

Solaris 1.1.0 is now available on Knossos.

This is a fairly large update incorporating changes to mechanics that will eventually be used in Solaris 2.0

• Changes to AI mean that different types of craft now fly differently according to their roles. Fighters make better use of their agility, juking and weaving to mislead their opponents. Strikers perform strafe and glide attacks on enemy capships, using their armour to tank CIWS counterfire. Bombers and LACS are more likely to stay on target as they approach to maximise their firepower.
  • Capital ship mass driver and autocannon ranges get a buff. This increases the engagement ranges of capital ships preventing some scenarios where engagements weren't able to be resolved because of combatants being outside weapons range.
  • Rerecording of some minor roles and certain lines of dialogue.
  • In-mission soundtrack changes. The Federation battles to heavy rock, Commonwealth orchestral soundtracks are influenced by Celtic folk music.
  • Minor mission tweaks.

Designed for use with FSO 19.0.0 or later.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 06:15:11 am by Darius »