Author Topic: BtA Status Update  (Read 2556 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hey! So, guess what happened THREE YEARS AGO TODAY...

If you guess "Paul Beatty becomes the 1st American to win the Man Booker Prize for his novel "The Sellout", you'd be correct. But that's not what I'm getting at.

It has officially been three years since Between the Ashes: Slaves of Chaos was released. When I realized this, I did more math. I started working on this mod in 2011. For the better part of a decade, I've had this story sloshing around in my head.. Parts released, and parts not. Chapter 1, took a lot of effort. I had to learn just about everything from scratch (I had a lot of help, too!). When I finally released it, I was unofficially done. I was beat, stressed, and exhausted. However, the praise and kind words that you all have provided over the last few years brought me back. For so many people to have found so much enjoyment from my work and the work from the rest of the team is something I find inspiring. Thank you all.  :nod:

I was really hoping to have something ready before today, but it needs a few more weeks. I am in full development of Chapter 2. I'm a little nervous because the "BtA Team" is really just a one-man show, now... but that hasn't stopped me before! The broad strokes of the storyline has been focused into a specific mission outline. Three missions are, roughly, in the can. The modpack has been updated and added to. I'm hopeful to hit a release date sometime late next year, but I'm going to follow a similar structure to Slaves of Chaos where it was preceded by a short prequel, Mefistofele. With that in mind...

Between the Ashes: Antwerp will release TBD November
-Roughly five years have passed since the events in Antares. As a pilot with the 508th Loaded Dice stationed on the Intrepid, you will perform a strategic role in the destruction of a major Hammer of Light target.

Between the Ashes: The Growing Silence will release TBD late 2020/early 2021
-The Hammer continues to be a rogue terrorist organization, but even their attacks have become few and far between. It's not a time of peace, but it's not exactly a time of war. The PVN has consolidated it's government with Parliament in Aldebaran and has become a symbol of growth and power. They remain committed to the cease-fire signed at the start of the Great War, but rumors of dissent in Parliament are growing. The Antares Federation has ceded from the Alliance and closed their borders. Following this, several human expeditions have scattered to the outer reaches of known space to start new civilizations free from the failing oversight of the GTA. The Loaded Dice have been sent to protect them from Hammer attacks as a gesture of cooperation... or perhaps as a way to spy...

Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
This is really exciting news!
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Antwerp

Can I ask why this name was chosen?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I often name things via historical or cultural references. Antwerp was a key location during WWII and it's history during that time period connects to the events of the missions.

Mefistofele was named in similar fashion. It's named after an Opera where the main character, Faust, strikes a deal with the devil, Mefistofele.

tbf there's not many points in history where antwerp wasn't a key point in some way or another :P

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
tbf there's not many points in history where antwerp wasn't a key point in some way or another :P

So the significance of the name should have been immediately apparent!  :nod:

Offline starlord

Would the target in Antwerp happen to be the hammer installation and destroyer in alpha centauri by any chance? The one from which the spy was extracted in BTA?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 11:21:10 am by starlord »

I was going to guess Antwerp was a city or orbital at Deneb 3.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Why do you guess Deneb 3?

Site of major battle during the Great War (FS2 intro) / site of major battle during GTI insurgency (defeat of the Hades).  Ramans do everything in 3's?  I dunno.  :) I guess that doesn't really work since Deneb 3 doesn't look to be habitable, or at least not inhabited by the time of the events in Slaves of Chaos (pilot chatter in intro to one of the missions towards the end).  Mostly just rattling the bars to see if the warden let's any tidbits loose.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Interesting. Well it has nothing to do with Deneb. In fact, I'm trying to remember the opening dialog you hinted at, but I'm pretty certain I wasn't thinking about Deneb then, either. Could be just fluff I added without thinking, though. Will have to check.

Taking off from the Intrepid before jumping to another situation.  Pilot in another squadron was talking about a friend who crash landed during some battle before the collapse of the Sol jump node.  Knows that he survived the crash because transponder was still going or something to that effect.  Pilot wondered if his friend realized there was no one left to retrieve him from the crash.  I cannot for the life of me remember if it is actually stated where this battle took place or not now!  But something in the dialog made me think of the opening movie for FS2 and the crashed Herc and its dead pilot sitting outside the cockpit with a hologram of his family flickering in and out next to him.

I may be totally misattributing here, but at the time, I was sure I was right, and thought it a very nice touchstone to that iconic scene.  I've always had an interest in the perspectives of ordinary people stuck in the middle of extraordinary events, and how they cope with it.  The stories told by actual soldiers versus, for example military historians.  Not that one is necessarily right and the other not, but the emphasis is different.  It's personal.  … and I'm derailing your topic.  Sorry.  Shutting up.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think I remember that now. IIRC, that was a Slasher addition and I think it's optional because you can warp before the conversation gets that far. Yeah, he was thinking of the FS2 intro.

Either way, that's not what Antwerp is about.