Author Topic: [WIP] Project: Final Generation  (Read 3160 times)

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
[WIP] Project: Final Generation
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, I present to you a project of mine.

Final Generation.

FG is more of a development name until a more suitable campaign name can be drafted, but until then, here you go:

It is the year 2380, thirteen years after the Second Shivan Incursion, the GTVA is now dealing with a new security crisis the likes of which it has yet encountered.

Nearly two years ago, the nomarchs of Deneb and Alpha Centauri had declared independence from the GTVA and begun a violent revolution across the core systems. With Sirius and Vasuda under their control and Vega, Regulus, and Aldebaran under siege, the New Dynasty seeks to establish a hegemonic Vasudan state. Under the Sepat Reshef the IV, the New Dynasty is made up of Vasudans who share Anti-Terran resentment or resistance to Terran cultural blending. These Vasudans reject Khonsu’s government, deeming it compromised by Terran influence.

Meanwhile, the Terrans are dealing with their own insurgency in the former NTF systems: The Terran Liberation Front, founded by a man named Jacob Hagen, harasses GTVA convoys and hinders their war effort against the New Dynasty. The TLF seeks to re-establish the NTF state, using the New Dynasty revolution to fuel the flames of Anti-Vasudan sentiment in the former NTF systems.

What to Expect

New Story
Amount of Missions Planned: 24
Amount in Initial Release: 10
New Ships
New Weapons

Release Date: Whenever I say so

Progress:
Mission 1: Done
Mission 2: Done
Mission 3: Done
Mission 4: Done
Mission 5: Polishing
Mission 6: Not Done
Mission 7: In Progress
Mission 8: In Progress
Mission 9: Not Done
Mission 10: Not Done

FAQ

Q: Why are you releasing 10 missions initially?
A: Two reasons. One, I want to see the community's opinion on the mod's direction, story, and gameplay. The last time I released a project close to this size (in this case, bigger) was Dusk Wars, and that was less than receptive. Two, in event I never finish this, I don't want it sitting on my hard-drive until the HDD's inevitable failure. I want to at least give the community something in case real life takes over my time.

Q: How do I get it?
A: When released, it will be available on Knossos.

Q: Why no release date?
A: Because I don't get paid to make this. I get paid to sell houses.

Q: Can I help?
A: Sure, if you wish to help feel free to message me on the forums or on Discord (same name, just mention me in the discord or message me directly).

Credits Thus Far

Asteroth - Laying the groundwork for Mission 7 and Mission 8, Weapon Balancing, General Advice
Unfortunate Pilot Dude and Family - Storywriting Advice, General Advice, Grammar Nazi
Mito[PL] - Testing and General Advice
Nyctaeus - Assets and General Advice

Screenshots

In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Re: [WIP] Project: Final Generation
Sounds nice, good luck with that! :)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I approve this message. FREDing is cool.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I think I know what I can expect from this, and... I do expect exactly this :yes: . Make it happen!
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline NeonShivan

Update
Floor 1: Sidearms, Missiles, Nationalist Vasudans

An update on my progress thus far:

Progress:
Mission 1: Done
Mission 2: Done
Mission 3: Done
Mission 4: Done
Mission 5: Done
Mission 6: Polishing
Mission 7: In Progress
Mission 8: In Progress
Mission 9: Not Done
Mission 10: Not Done

Mission 5 is, in essence, done, and Mission 6 is being touched up. I've begun focusing my efforts on Mission 7, which I can assure you will house many explosions. With each update I will be sharing with you some of the tools of the trade in "Final Generation" as well as background lore on various characters and factions. Today's update is brought to you by Triton Dynamics, when six forward cannons aren't enough, slap on two more.

Tool Highlight: UD-5 Tyr

The UD-5 Tyr is your bread and butter. It's not very unique, design wise, in essence it's a Kayser that I threw cycle onto and made it slightly weaker in terms of DPS. I envisioned the GTVA taking the whole "zero point death machine" a step further and making it a main gun for their fighters and bombers to use. Much like the Balor from Blue Planet, it's very good at shooting down bombs and filling unsuspecting AI victims full of holes.

It'll be one of the first weapons the player uses in the campaign, and it can be used on every Terran and Vasudan fighter and bomber you can think of.

Lore Highlight: New Dynasty

Now for something slightly more antagonizing; The New Dynasty. They're one of the antagonists you battle with in the campaign (the other being the Terran Liberation Front but them at another time). Founded by two disgruntled Vasudan nomarchs who have way too much time on their hands and far too much military power; Reshef the IV of Deneb and Niut of Alpha Centauri, these quasi-royals decided enough was enough and declared their systems independent from the greater Vasudan Imperium. With aid from radical elements of the Vasudan military, who view that cooperation with the Terrans will only further Vasudan suffering, they expelled loyal members of the Vasudan Imperium and rounded up Terran civilians in their systems, throwing them into isolated off world facilities.

The New Dynasty rejects Emperor Khonsu the II's leadership, believing that the Vasudan's covenant with the Terrans has corrupted Khonsu the II. In the nearly two years of civil war the New Dynasty had managed to wrestle control over Vasuda from the Imperium and occupy Sirius. Giving the New Dynasty a firm, entrenched position.

Screenshots

Before I go, have some screenshots:

GTCv Seoul engaged with the NVCv Triangulum.

Knife fight between a Sobek and Deimos.

I firmly believe that Media VP 4 broke my mod. Have 100 Trebuchets.

Proof I'm not insane.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline CT27

This looks like a great campaign.  It kind of looks like a deeper version of "Renegade Resurgence".

:yes:
I took the liberty of adding a link to this thread in the FS Celebration one~

Offline NeonShivan

:yes:
I took the liberty of adding a link to this thread in the FS Celebration one~

Thank you, friend :D

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline NeonShivan

:bump:

Here's an update on my progress so far, we're getting close to a release!

Above is some footage of the 2nd mission in the campaign. Enjoy!

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Cool, looking forward to it :) :yes:

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Loved watching that mission. I especially liked the chatter between your wingmen, it make them seem like real characters.

But I think your debriefing sexps need some polishing since you got the message that you didn't have permission to jump when you so clearly did finish the mission. :p

Oh, and those Halcyone-class cruisers look damn nice. They look like souped-up Aeolus cruisers, but that's not a bad thing at all. :nod:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline NeonShivan

Loved watching that mission. I especially liked the chatter between your wingmen, it make them seem like real characters.

But I think your debriefing sexps need some polishing since you got the message that you didn't have permission to jump when you so clearly did finish the mission. :p

Oh, and those Halcyone-class cruisers look damn nice. They look like souped-up Aeolus cruisers, but that's not a bad thing at all. :nod:

I'm glad you enjoyed the video!

Rip about the AWOL tho, will fix that this weekend.

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline NeonShivan

UPDATE: 11/8/2020

Happy Sunday fellow Freespaceicans. I'm writing this post to inform you that Final Generation will be coming soon to a Knossos dashboard near you. Here's the status of the campaign:

Progress:
Mission 1: Done - Pending Testing
Mission 2: Done - Pending Testing
Mission 3: Done - Pending Testing
Mission 4: Done - Pending Testing
Mission 5: Done - Pending Testing
Mission 6: Done - Pending Testing
Mission 7: Done - Pending Testing
Mission 8: Cut from Initial Release
Mission 9: Cut from Initial Release
Mission 10: Cut from Initial Release

I've decided to cut out the last three missions for a couple of reasons. One, when I first made this topic the story was written slightly differently. Midway through production I didn't like how the story felt so I revised it, shorten the campaign, and started producing new missions to fit the revised story. Two, I lost the design doc for the new, revised story, so I'll have to spend some time re-writing it from memory. Initially I figured I'd make the last three missions but in order to ensure it flows with my original vision, I'll wait until I've re-written the design doc which will take some time. And three, seven missions will do more than enough to help give a general sense as to what the campaign is about, who your enemies are, who you're friends are etc. It'll also be enough for me to gauge community feedback and to adjust the soon to be re-written design doc to accommodate with community desires.

With that said, you should expect a release sometime soon, ideally before December but I won't make any promises.

Help Wanted: Testers

I am in need for some testers for the initial release. If you wish to provide assistance please either PM me or post here. You will be testing difficulty as well as inform me of any bugs I may have missed.

That is all, I hope everyone enjoys their weekend!

NeonShivan

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh